Dieting Tips

So, I recently started trying to lose weight, to try and get in better shape. I'm in my last semester of college and I figured I'd try and use the summer to get healthier.

So, I won't sugar coat it. My diet was *kitten*. I usually ate out for lunch and so most of the places around school were pizza places, chinese food, burger joints, etc. Usually I tried to eat cheaply. And yes I know a daily diet of chinese food and pizza is *kitten*, but time was short and I couldn't justify spending 10-15 bucks on a Chipotle meal every day.

Now that I'm home, I'm trying to curb my diet a lot more and I've been meticulously counting my calories and all the nutritional facts. Right now I'm on the sedimentary diet with limited exercise, so I'm supposed to stick to 2,000 calories and all the nutritional limits that are applied.

My question is, for losing weight does it matter what I eat or how much of it I eat? What I mean is, is it better to just eat all the greens and fruits that I can or should I eat whatever I feel like as long as the nutrition is under my limit?

And secondly, once I'm back at school, what do you usually recommend looking for as someone who's trying to eat healthier, when you're short on cash and time. (I'm a guy and I prefer to not have a salad for lunch if I can help it.)

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    It's not what you eat, it's how much. Period. End of sentence. I eat all foods, just limit how much per day and lose weight.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Damie904 wrote: »
    So, I recently started trying to lose weight, to try and get in better shape. I'm in my last semester of college and I figured I'd try and use the summer to get healthier.

So, I won't sugar coat it. My diet was *kitten*. I usually ate out for lunch and so most of the places around school were pizza places, chinese food, burger joints, etc. Usually I tried to eat cheaply. And yes I know a daily diet of chinese food and pizza is *kitten*, but time was short and I couldn't justify spending 10-15 bucks on a Chipotle meal every day.

Now that I'm home, I'm trying to curb my diet a lot more and I've been meticulously counting my calories and all the nutritional facts. Right now I'm on the sedimentary diet with limited exercise, so I'm supposed to stick to 2,000 calories and all the nutritional limits that are applied.

My question is, for losing weight does it matter what I eat or how much of it I eat? What I mean is, is it better to just eat all the greens and fruits that I can or should I eat whatever I feel like as long as the nutrition is under my limit?

And secondly, once I'm back at school, what do you usually recommend looking for as someone who's trying to eat healthier, when you're short on cash and time. (I'm a guy and I prefer to not have a salad for lunch if I can help it.)

The # of calories is first. You can eat 100% healthy and not lose weight (if you are over) - or you can eat junk and lose (if you are under).

The thing is when you cut calories & still eat lots of junk, you are likely going to be hungry. So you need to find a balance. To keep the weight off (for good) you want a balance you can live with.

Protein, fat and fiber are filling. Different ratios for different people. That's why you see high fat, low fat, high carb, low carb......it's going to be personal. Find some permanent changes you can live with.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    it's all about how much.

Now with that statement comes this...

choosing nutrient dense foods will aid in weight loss due to keeping you feeling fuller longer...

but pizza is the bomb...no way would I give that up...eat what you love/want/crave...and try to follow the 80/20 rule...80% nutrient dense 20% fun foods...or drinks.

As for when you get back to school pizza...it's got protein carbs fats and it's nommy.

btw..the limits set for macros is the minimums...if you go over not a big deal.
  • cwang125
    cwang125 Posts: 76 Member
    What you eat matters in that it will affect how your body reacts to it and how it uses the food for energy.

Ultimately to lose weight you'll need to eat at a deficit. If you can accomplish this, you will lose weight.
    What you eat will affect how easy it is for you to accomplish this. You can still gain weight if you overeat greens and fruits.

There's a lot of useful information throughout the various threads here. Do a little reading and if you have any questions you can come back with more specific.

DM me and I can give you some specific suggestions.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    A caloric deficit is 98% of weight loss
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    It's not what you eat, it's how much. Period. End of sentence. I eat all foods, just limit how much per day and lose weight.

This is true if all you are concerned about is weight loss. But the OP says lose weight and get in better shape. If you are looking to get fit diet content is going to matter more than just dropping lbs.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member

Low cost healthy meals for lunch can be leftovers from the night before, or soup. You may use wraps or tortillas to wrap up your lunch. Pre-planning is what is going to save you time and money. Get yourself some inexpensive disposable plastic containers, which you can re-use of course.
    • Frozen veggies for low cost, quickly available.
    • Canned beans and soups in your cupboard.
    • 1/3 cup oatmeal with one cup water in a bowl, microwave for 1:40 mins. Bonus points when you add raisins and milk.
    • Cook up all your chicken all at once, and wrap up the leftovers in the freezer to use throughout the week. Chicken thighs are cheaper than breast.
    • Prepared sauces can transform your chicken in to a variety of meals, like sriracha, soy, and spaghetti
    • A slow cooker stew, soup, or chili can be made once and eaten several times throughout the week. These only get better with reheating.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/perfect-pan-roasted-chicken-thighs
    http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/chili/c7df2894-907a-4309-a7f9-6e6f5a6c730d
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/moroccan-chickpea-stew
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/26472/the-best-chicken-soup-ever/

Kitchen gadgets I think that would save you the most in time and effort are a small rice cooker, a slow cooker, and a toaster oven.

As a side note, the sedimentary diet is a new one on me. It would be higher in roughage, I imagine. LOL.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    So consider bringing a healthy lunch from home when back at school.