Thinking about seeing my PCP for help...

Options
Okay, so I'm not obese but I am overweight. I'm 5'8 and fluxuate between 174-177lbs and this time dieting AGAIN has failed. I've tried and still am dieting (changed my foods and calorie counting) and exercise by trying to burn between 200-600 calories, depending on the day everyday (I've changed things up - doing cardio and free weights) and STILL nothing... I've debated going to my PCP to see if he can give me any suggestions because I know my tiredness, depression, and anxiety have elevated since I've gained weight. Has anyone on here done that? I feel silly saying I'm too dumb to do it on my own... and I've tried eating between 1200-1500 calories a day... GRR!

*Edit* I do count everything I eat/drink and use a food scale. I have had my thyroid tested and it's normal.

Replies

• johnelwell
    johnelwell Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to join our group, we will support if we can
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Do you track absolutely everything you eat, every single day?

Do you weigh and measure your foods?
  • AJL437
    AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes. You should always consulate a PCP before attempting to lose weight - especially with the systems you have been experiencing.
  • Tattx
    Tattx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No harm in going to your PCP and have a blood work up done just to rule out any thyroid problems. At worst he says nothings wrong and can recommend a nutritionist.
  • suecan2
    suecan2 Posts: 45
    Options
    have you tried cutting back the cardio and done just pure strength training... ?? the last time I was up 25 lbs, I went to a trainer and was put on a strict weight lifting schedule, in fact I was refrained from doing any more than 5 min cardio, it was just for a slight warm up. I lost inches like mad. I was getting compliments galore. that was 10 years ago, 4 years ago, I had some major stressors occur in life in which I ate a lot and last year found myself up 20! I have been trying since last November to drop back down, doing a lot of cardio -- only 5 pounds came off by april.i was frustrated since I was eating MUCH less and running again. then I went back and concentrated once again on just strength training. 2 weeks ago, I hit goal weight, the additional 15 pounds be gone. It will be challenge to keep off (since I love a good treat) but my point is... have you tried pure strength training?
  • TheGr8Kimbini
    Options
    have you tried cutting back the cardio and done just pure strength training... ?? the last time I was up 25 lbs, I went to a trainer and was put on a strict weight lifting schedule, in fact I was refrained from doing any more than 5 min cardio, it was just for a slight warm up. I lost inches like mad. I was getting compliments galore. that was 10 years ago, 4 years ago, I had some major stressors occur in life in which I ate a lot and last year found myself up 20! I have been trying since last November to drop back down, doing a lot of cardio -- only 5 pounds came off by april.i was frustrated since I was eating MUCH less and running again. then I went back and concentrated once again on just strength training. 2 weeks ago, I hit goal weight, the additional 15 pounds be gone. It will be challenge to keep off (since I love a good treat) but my point is... have you tried pure strength training?

Yeah, I've tried it. I for a while was only doing free weights and machines, and just walking almost everyday with my family. I feel like I'm just one big excuse and I'm not looking for one, which is why I feel like I need to suck it up and ask a doctor what the heck I am doing wrong.
  • TheGr8Kimbini
    Options
    Do you track absolutely everything you eat, every single day?

Do you weigh and measure your foods?

Yeah, because I like to be right on the dot and as accurate as possible.
  • TheGr8Kimbini
    Options
    Please feel free to join our group, we will support if we can

What group?? :D
  • LisaMfit4life
    LisaMfit4life Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Hi! I would suggest seeing your physician like others have stated just to make sure everything is okay. Maybe your physician could recommend a nutritionist as well as how much weight you actually need to lose. Everyone is different and different things work for different people. Good luck and add me as a friend if you would like.:smile:
    Lisa
  • L_Stradford
    L_Stradford Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with seeing your PCP about weight loss and your health. As a matter of fact, that is exactly what I did two weeks ago. I have lost 8.2 pounds since seeing her and don't feel bad about it at all. She is monitoring what I eat, how much I eat and doing blood work. She referred me to a nutritionist also who has basically become like a friend to me in the past two weeks. I say do what you have to do to get healthier!
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Check out this site:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Plugging in your data yields the following results:

BMR: 1606 - this is the absolute minimum you should be eating

TDEE: 2209 (this is for light exercise - 1-3 hours/wk, TDEE=2490 for 3-5 hours moderate exercise/wk)

TDEE-20%: 1767 (this is the recommended calorie intake for safe weight loss based on light exercise, 1992 for moderate exercise)

If you've been eating an average of 1350 calories, you've been slowly starving yourself and your metabolism may be a little messed up. Good topics for a discussion with your doctor.
  • TheGr8Kimbini
    Options
    Check out this site:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Plugging in your data yields the following results:

BMR: 1606 - this is the absolute minimum you should be eating

TDEE: 2209 (this is for light exercise - 1-3 hours/wk, TDEE=2490 for 3-5 hours moderate exercise/wk)

TDEE-20%: 1767 (this is the recommended calorie intake for safe weight loss based on light exercise, 1992 for moderate exercise)

If you've been eating an average of 1350 calories, you've been slowly starving yourself and your metabolism may be a little messed up. Good topics for a discussion with your doctor.

I've been averaging about 1500 here lately and I thought I was eating too much then. That makes a lot of sense though.