STUCK!

Options
Jla408
Jla408 Posts: 1,830 Member
Here is my rant of the day.

I am SOOOOO sick of people telling me it is all about calories in vs calories out. There is no way that can work for everyone. I eat well, I have cut eating out to once a week, I drink nothing but water (except for a diet drink when eating out) and I eat under my limits almost daily, the days that I do go over is by less than a couple hundred.

I take the tests online where you enter in your body and it tells you how much to eat, with my weight, and height and variables. It ranges from 2400-3300 without deficit. So I take away my 500-1000 deficit, and I am between 1400 and 2300 net. So I go in the middle of that, my net is usually around 1700-1800. So even if those tests are wrong, I am still within a good range. I watch my carbs, and very rarely go over 150 carbs, protein is always over 100 usually closer to 170. I eat a lot of veggies, and some fruit, very little pasta, rice, bread or starches. Yet nothing!

On top of eating decent (I won't say good yet), I work out daily! I usually burn between 300-600 calories a day (using a heart rate monitor) doing a mix of cardio and strength work with my kickboxing class, as well as a walk every single day. I take the class 8+ times a week, some days going twice a day. I kill myself there, and put all my energy into improving. Don't get me wrong, I have improved, I have gotten stronger and more flexible, but I haven't lost any weight yet, ( I realize muscle weighs more than fat), and lost minimal inches (Maybe a couple).

I have been doing this routine for almost three months, yet I am 5 pounds heavier than when I started. Everyone keeps saying give it time, your body is getting used to it, but almost three months and NOTHING! I am so unbelievably angry and frustrated and defeated.

I have been to the Dr to rule out any health problems that may be hindering me, and after tests and more tests and lots of bloodwork, I am completely healthy. All my numbers are within the normal range (Pulse, Thyroid, Blood Pressure, etc) yet I keep gaining weight! I do not have any metabolic disorders, PCOS etc.

The other people I work out with, I work out more than them, eat better than them, and rarely drink alcohol (while they work out less, eat out more, eat larger portions, and drink every week) keep losing weight, while I gain. I have been to a dietician, and a nutritionist, and follow what they say to a T, they agree that I should be losing weight, yet I am not. I don't know what to do anymore, and am so defeated.

I am ready to curl into a ball and just cry. I am so stressed out and pissed off.

End Rant

Any suggestions?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but some common things that keep us from losing when we think we should are how we measure our food (are you using a food scale or are you using measuring cups?) or accidentally choosing inaccurate entries from the database.

You also say you are eating "net." Are you eating back all your exercise calories? If so, how are you measuring those burns, the heart rate monitor you mentioned?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
  • tmarple93
    tmarple93 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? It really makes a difference. You could be eating more then you think you are. I stalled too and was stuck for about two months and felt the same as you, then I decided to buy a food scale and start actually weighing my food. Turns out I was eating way more then I thought I was. Now that I've been weighing my food and making sure I'm actually eating my calorie budget to lose weight I've been consistently losing and haven't had a single problem or stall except around my period but that's just hormonal water retention.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    yes get less stressed...cortisol (stress hormone) will mask weight loss with water retention.

So to start with ...CICO works for everyone. Macros are of no consequence and why are you going all over the web to get your CI number? Set you stats here on MFP and it will give it to you...then when you exercise you log it and eat some or all of them back (sort of test it to see how much).

So to the exercise part...HRM are only good for steady state cardio and will over estimate for other activities like kickboxing....and unless you are doing heavy lifting and are new to it you aren't gaining muscle...

so now as to why are you not losing...since your diary is not available have to ask...

do you use a food scale? and log everything you eat accurately and consistently using correct entries?

I ask because typically if you aren't losing...you are not in a deficit.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    A couple inches over 3 months isn't bad at all!! That's progress - why are you stuck on the number if you feel better and are looking thinner?
  • canadianvampyregurl
    canadianvampyregurl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. I'm sorry you are experiencing this.

I'm a stickler for weighing and measuring my foods. Do you weigh out your foods as well? I've found that it's helped me out so much. I had no idea what a true portion size was just by looking at labels.

I also drink lots of water. It's only 245pm where I am right now and I've had 12 cups. I'm usually sipping all day. Water & mint tea :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Hello.

Could you list the following:
    - weight
    - activity level outside of exercise*
    - exercise type, time, and number of times you do it per week*

*I know you listed some of this info but putting it in this order is useful.

I'm not a fan of MFP's "net calories" system and having the above info helps me put it into better perspective to give better answers.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Everyone has said it, but it's so true. Get a food scale. They're around $15. It made all the difference for me! Watch this video and see what you think.

BTW, I think your calorie target sounds about right. Now you just have to make sure that you are actually hitting that target. The tool that will do that is a food scale.

https://youtu.be/XpHykP6e_Uk
  • dragonrider6
    dragonrider6 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @Jla408 not all calories are created equal. (Almost) Clean eating is very important.

Try:

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=blogilates why you can't lose weight&sm=1

Or

The Body Book by cameron Diaz
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Well, if everything is as you say and you are being accurate in your calorie counting and exercise calorie burns - and you are not losing weight, then you know what you have to do. Eat less than the amount you currently are, and/or increase the exercise.

Is it fair? No. But it's what you'll have to do to create the calorie deficit that will lead to a weight loss.

Also remember that all those numbers you get online about how much to eat are estimates. They are a starting point. You adjust according to your personal experience. If you are gaining or maintaining on what is recommended, increase the deficit.

EDIT: And, of course, I'm sorry to hear how frustrating you're finding all of this. Losing weight is hard. I found it easier to quit smoking.
  • Jla408
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but some common things that keep us from losing when we think we should are how we measure our food (are you using a food scale or are you using measuring cups?) or accidentally choosing inaccurate entries from the database.

You also say you are eating "net." Are you eating back all your exercise calories? If so, how are you measuring those burns, the heart rate monitor you mentioned?

I eat back some of my calories, usually about half. Today for example, I ate 2400 calories, but burned almost 600, so at 1800 net. Yes, the only number I use to take calories away is from my heart rate monitor, and yes I weigh everything.
  • Jla408
    Options
    tmarple93 wrote: »
    Are you weighing your food? It really makes a difference. You could be eating more then you think you are. I stalled too and was stuck for about two months and felt the same as you, then I decided to buy a food scale and start actually weighing my food. Turns out I was eating way more then I thought I was. Now that I've been weighing my food and making sure I'm actually eating my calorie budget to lose weight I've been consistently losing and haven't had a single problem or stall except around my period but that's just hormonal water retention.

Yes, I weigh everything.
  • Jla408
    Options
    I understand your frustration. I'm sorry you are experiencing this.

I'm a stickler for weighing and measuring my foods. Do you weigh out your foods as well? I've found that it's helped me out so much. I had no idea what a true portion size was just by looking at labels.

I also drink lots of water. It's only 245pm where I am right now and I've had 12 cups. I'm usually sipping all day. Water & mint tea :)

Yes, I weigh everything. I am at 14 cups at 3:30
  • Jla408
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Hello.

Could you list the following:
    - weight
    - activity level outside of exercise*
    - exercise type, time, and number of times you do it per week*

*I know you listed some of this info but putting it in this order is useful.

I'm not a fan of MFP's "net calories" system and having the above info helps me put it into better perspective to give better answers.

I am 26
    5'5
    330 lbs
    I am moderately active outside exercise
    HIIT 8+ times a week, 7 2+ mile walks a week
  • Jla408
    edited June 2016
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    Well, if everything is as you say and you are being accurate in your calorie counting and exercise calorie burns - and you are not losing weight, then you know what you have to do. Eat less than the amount you currently are, and/or increase the exercise.

Is it fair? No. But it's what you'll have to do to create the calorie deficit that will lead to a weight loss.

Also remember that all those numbers you get online about how much to eat are estimates. They are a starting point. You adjust according to your personal experience. If you are gaining or maintaining on what is recommended, increase the deficit.

EDIT: And, of course, I'm sorry to hear how frustrating you're finding all of this. Losing weight is hard. I found it easier to quit smoking.

I have found through trial and error, if I have less than an 1800 calorie net, that I am dizzy and sick and cannot do the workouts I do. I am exercising 1-2 hours a day, every day.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    @Jla408 not all calories are created equal. (Almost) Clean eating is very important.

Try:

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=blogilates why you can't lose weight&sm=1

Or

The Body Book by cameron Diaz

All calories are the same. Clean eating is not necessary to lose weight.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Jla408 wrote: »

I have found through trial and error, if I have less than an 1800 calorie net, that I am dizzy and sick and cannot do the workouts I do. I am exercising 1-2 hours a day, every day.

Well, that's life. You don't have to exercise to lose weight btw. If you're not losing weight and you don't think it's because you're holding in water from increased sodium, a new exercise routine, etc., then you're eating at maintenance. Eat less to lose
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You need to open your diary, maybe we can see an error in logging that you are not aware of.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options

Okay; for a month stop the workouts and eat 1800 calories a day. See what happens then.

• Jla408
    Options

Well, that's life. You don't have to exercise to lose weight btw. If you're not losing weight and you don't think it's because you're holding in water from increased sodium, a new exercise routine, etc., then you're eating at maintenance. Eat less to lose

I know I don't have to, but I absolutely love exercising so I'm not going to stop.