When To Bulk?

Options
I've been set on weight loss for so long that I am now confused about when to start adding calories. I am about 4 pounds from my orivinal goal weight but I am still flabby with some fat hanging around. I am doing 5 x5 stronglifts but don't feel like my progress will show with a layer of fat everywhere. Any suggestions?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Options
    What are your stats? And goals?

Depending where you stand you could either still cut and transition to maintenance and recomp.
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am 43, 5'8" tall, 156 pounds.
    Squat-50
    OH lift-35
    Benchpress-40
    Deadlift-100

Goals: build lean muscle, tone everywhere, build strength.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Really, not many people actually need to bulk...most people do just fine eating around maintenance and lifting and otherwise getting their fitness on and building a fitness body...keep in mind that a fitness body is derived from living that lifestyle, not a handful of weeks or months of lifting...I've been lifting consistently for about four years and my body continues to evolve.

Adding more calories doesn't necessarily mean bulking...if you're dieting, adding more calories could just put you to maintenance.
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress thus far. What does a typical day of eating look like for you in terms of actual foods?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you have a "layer of fat" then of the three options you have open to you (lose, maintain or bulk) bulk makes the least sense.

It appears from your numbers you have plenty of headroom to improve with your lifting/strength so suggest you carry on cutting (slowly) to goal weight, then walk up your calories to maintenance levels and recomp a while.
    Unless you have high body composition goals (which you haven't indicated) then there's no need to bulk.

Remember that the decision to stop cutting doesn't mean it's forever. A period maintaining will tell you a lot about how suitable your original goal weight target was.

• psuLemon
    Options
    amyn73 wrote: »
    I am 43, 5'8" tall, 156 pounds.
    Squat-50
    OH lift-35
    Benchpress-40
    Deadlift-100

Goals: build lean muscle, tone everywhere, build strength.

Based on your goals i would go to a small deficit, get about 125g of protein and do a solid structured lifting program like StrongCurves.
  • amyn73
    Options
    Cwofman, thanks for the info. Stuff to think about.

Longevity, daily I try to eat no less than 100 grams of protein, 40 grams fat, 100 grams carbs. I eat eggs, cheese, nuts, lean meats, fruit and a protein shake daily.

Sijomial, thanks for the info.I guess I forgot about recomp.

Psulemon...would you recommend strong curves over 5 x5?

• Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're on the right track. We could dig down deeper into your diet if you wanted to, but I don't see a need in complicating anything at this point. I would recommend looking at this infographic and making sure your meals fit this general frame work. When it comes to training I'd recommend StrongCurves over 5x5. StrongCurves is a more complete program.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    amyn73 wrote: »
    Cwofman, thanks for the info. Stuff to think about.

Longevity, daily I try to eat no less than 100 grams of protein, 40 grams fat, 100 grams carbs. I eat eggs, cheese, nuts, lean meats, fruit and a protein shake daily.

Sijomial, thanks for the info.I guess I forgot about recomp.

Psulemon...would you recommend strong curves over 5 x5?

Based on most females goals strong curves and NROL4W tend to be more complete programs and will transition into other intermediate level lifting programs.
  • amyn73
    Options
    Thanks, really appreciate the help!