Garcinia Cambogia and Raspberry Ketones

Options

Replies

• ladyingenu
    Options
    They come in gummy form?

Yes. GNC has a candy chew version of it, and other "hunger supressers" that come in gummy, or chew form. It tastes like a starburst.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I've lost 84lbs since October 1st, the same time that I got a second Bernese Mountain Dog!!! I believe that the abundance of black hair on (and in) everything, is responsible for this loss. I certainly wouldn't want to give MYSELF any credit for my own commitment to maintaing a calorie deficit. :tongue:

I'd like to order two (2) Bernese Mountain Dogs, please. But only if they come in gummies.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    The way these things DO work is through the placebo effect and the way that affects your eating. The following is from: http://www.placeboeffect.com/placebo-research/

A quick overview of Placebo Effect Research:

Expectations: Expecting an outcome makes it more likely for that outcome to occur.
    Conditioning: Pairing a placebo with an active drug and then removing the active drug can allow for the placebo to provide the same long-term benefits as the drug.
    Motivation: When people are simply motivated to use a treatment to heal, they tend to heal faster.
    Ritual: When people take a placebo as part of a routine is works significantly better than otherwise.
    Doctor-patient relationship: When a doctor believes in a patient’s healing, the patient tends to heal faster.
    Non-conscious perception: The placebo effect works even when we receiving a given stimulus non-consciously.
    Genetics: People will higher rates of dopamine in their brains respond better to the placebo effect.
    Stimulants & depressants: Placebos described as placebos stimulate, those described as depressants do the opposite.
    Endorphin/Morphine Production: The body can produce endorphins and morphines simply by responding to a placebo.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    You know i'm always wary of diet pills, caffeine boosters, hunger suppressers too, but I've tried them before. The RK doesn't necessarily "suppress" my hunger, but I feel I eat better portions and actually feel full eating half the size meal i normally would. To test out the "placebo" effect, i gave them to my bf to take twice a day, telling him they were gummy candies instead of RK supplements. 5 days later, he tells me, "you know call me crazy, but lately I haven't been feeling as hungry...". So blind test there, shows that the stuff actually DOES work, it just depends on the person and how your body reacts to it.

It seems you might not understand the scientific approach, outcomes or research in general.
    Secondly, most of the people commenting "waste of money" are men. (How ironic), but we live in a world where sometimes paying for change, paying for hope, paying for a solution, .. is worth TRYING to achieve a means to an end. For those of you who are great at sticking to the diet plan and working out consistently, GOOD FOR YOU, but there are those that need MORE help, whether it's mentally to motivate them, or physically with a friend or trainer. People go to the extreme to LOOK and FEEL healthy/lean/thin/etc (i.e. plastic surgery, lipo, weight watchers, gym trainers, gym memberships, workout videos, workout equipment.. blah blah blah) Many "methods" can cost tons of money, so if this RK works for some people and they are $20 dollars poorer, i say that's a good deal compared to the tons of money they could have spent on other things. Besides, for all the people that said this was a "waste of money", i'm sure you've spent $20 on that bottle of wine, restaurant date, movie night, or heck, maybe even the drive thru line at McDonalds. ; ] BUT to each his own.

I said they are a waste of money and I am not a man, I am a woman. A woman who does not feel the need to go to the extremes to see a certain number on the scale. And yes, I have spent money on other things, but not on something that has shown no documented benefit to human beings. Sure, people "think" they work, but it is other behaviors that are actually coming into play, not the pill.
    RK works for me as far as portion control, which helps me keep my calories where they need to be. I do agree that my weightloss and body fat percentage loss is attributed to my diet and workout not the RK. To everyone who's found success, more power to you. I wish you many more positive steps to reaching your goal. To those of you who "wasted your money" on buying this, if you had bought it from GNC, you actually have 30 days to return the product regardless of how much you have consumed. So stop your whining.

Ciao!

And.....after all of that.....you acknowledge your weight loss is from diet and exercise and not the pill.
  • cxdyer
    cxdyer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    They work for ME!!!!!!!!! They may not work for everyone. She asked if anyone had had success. to each their own..thanks for making fun
    I totally agree, to each their own. I try not to judge others but instead applaud what works for them. THanks for your support. I'm glad these work for you as well. I noitced a marked difference for myself and if or when they no longer work, I will quit taking them.
  • cxdyer
    cxdyer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You know i'm always wary of diet pills, caffeine boosters, hunger suppressers too, but I've tried them before. The RK doesn't necessarily "suppress" my hunger, but I feel I eat better portions and actually feel full eating half the size meal i normally would. To test out the "placebo" effect, i gave them to my bf to take twice a day, telling him they were gummy candies instead of RK supplements. 5 days later, he tells me, "you know call me crazy, but lately I haven't been feeling as hungry...". So blind test there, shows that the stuff actually DOES work, it just depends on the person and how your body reacts to it.

Secondly, most of the people commenting "waste of money" are men. (How ironic), but we live in a world where sometimes paying for change, paying for hope, paying for a solution, .. is worth TRYING to achieve a means to an end. For those of you who are great at sticking to the diet plan and working out consistently, GOOD FOR YOU, but there are those that need MORE help, whether it's mentally to motivate them, or physically with a friend or trainer. People go to the extreme to LOOK and FEEL healthy/lean/thin/etc (i.e. plastic surgery, lipo, weight watchers, gym trainers, gym memberships, workout videos, workout equipment.. blah blah blah) Many "methods" can cost tons of money, so if this RK works for some people and they are $20 dollars poorer, i say that's a good deal compared to the tons of money they could have spent on other things. Besides, for all the people that said this was a "waste of money", i'm sure you've spent $20 on that bottle of wine, restaurant date, movie night, or heck, maybe even the drive thru line at McDonalds. ; ] BUT to each his own.

RK works for me as far as portion control, which helps me keep my calories where they need to be. I do agree that my weightloss and body fat percentage loss is attributed to my diet and workout not the RK. To everyone who's found success, more power to you. I wish you many more positive steps to reaching your goal. To those of you who "wasted your money" on buying this, if you had bought it from GNC, you actually have 30 days to return the product regardless of how much you have consumed. So stop your whining.

Ciao!

Nicely articulated!!! I would wonder if some of those men who are knocking GC or RK are buying protein drinks and powders and taking other supplements? I don't judge them for what works for them, I just ask the same in return.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    PT Barnum was right...............:huh: :huh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    The way these things DO work is through the placebo effect and the way that affects your eating. The following is from: http://www.placeboeffect.com/placebo-research/

A quick overview of Placebo Effect Research:

Expectations: Expecting an outcome makes it more likely for that outcome to occur.
    Conditioning: Pairing a placebo with an active drug and then removing the active drug can allow for the placebo to provide the same long-term benefits as the drug.
    Motivation: When people are simply motivated to use a treatment to heal, they tend to heal faster.
    Ritual: When people take a placebo as part of a routine is works significantly better than otherwise.
    Doctor-patient relationship: When a doctor believes in a patient’s healing, the patient tends to heal faster.
    Non-conscious perception: The placebo effect works even when we receiving a given stimulus non-consciously.
    Genetics: People will higher rates of dopamine in their brains respond better to the placebo effect.
    Stimulants & depressants: Placebos described as placebos stimulate, those described as depressants do the opposite.
    Endorphin/Morphine Production: The body can produce endorphins and morphines simply by responding to a placebo.
    THIS. It's not rocket science. Eat in calorie deficit and the body will lose mass. Do some stall? Off course because of adaptation, but the pills aren't causing the calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Ciao!
    So I pose the question: Is this how you're going to do it for life? If so, more power to you. If not, then without the pill, you still won't be able to control portions and weight regain happens. It's a common thing with supplements, pills and fad diets.
    I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just trying to get you to see what you plan to do about weight in the future.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Ciao!

Nicely articulated!!! I would wonder if some of those men who are knocking GC or RK are buying protein drinks and powders and taking other supplements? I don't judge them for what works for them, I just ask the same in return.
    Protein powder has been peer reviewed by clinical journals of medicine and nutrition to actually work though. Most other supplements are a waste of money, like this one due to the cost compared to the actual effect.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou:
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

I'm glad it helps you ... The placebo effect can do amazing things as pointed out above. That's why Dr Oz's miracles work for some people: they believe in it. Kevin Trudeau, who was convicted of larceny and fraud in the 90s, made a lot of money peddling various dietary "miracles", baldness "cures", etc as well as real estate scams. One of them as I recall was a pen with fragrance in it you'd sniff when you were hungry. Did it work? Might very well have ... If you believed in it. Today, I see ads for Sensa all over the place ... Pretty much the 21st century version of Trudeau's Smell-O-Pen. A century ago, women swore by Lydia Pinkham's tonic which I'm sure worked for many of them. Of course, the high alcohol content helped, too. ;)

This sort of nostrum peddling has been around for centuries. I think a lot of us make an effort to warn people away from them because they're often lining the pockets of shady people at the expense of the hopeful and gullible. Whatever anger you might see is usually directed more at the quackery than at those who fall for it, When it comes to my health, I tend to trust medical science rather than TV doctors. But if you find them useful for one reason or another and don't mind lining the vendor's pocket, go for it.

EDIT: another thought on placebos ... Back in the days when I was actively working as a mental health professional, individuals and couples coming to me for therapy would often note that things started to get better before we had a single session. When you make a decision to change something, that decision changes your behavior. For example, MFP helps becase you know when you are deciding to eat something that you're accountable to your journal here. Just as when you're using something like RK, you're determined it's going to work ... And you subconsciouly change your behavior in small ways. Next thing you know, you've lost 10 pounds without realizing the small changes you've made in your behavior. As I said earlier, if it works for you, go for it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Well played. :flowerforyou:
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    They come in gummy form?

Yes. GNC has a candy chew version of it, and other "hunger supressers" that come in gummy, or chew form. It tastes like a starburst.

I'm sorry, am I the only one that finds the concept of appetite suppressant gummies to be hysterical? I lol'd.
  • ladyingenu
    Options

It seems you might not understand the scientific approach, outcomes or research in general.

I said they are a waste of money and I am not a man, I am a woman. A woman who does not feel the need to go to the extremes to see a certain number on the scale. And yes, I have spent money on other things, but not on something that has shown no documented benefit to human beings. Sure, people "think" they work, but it is other behaviors that are actually coming into play, not the pill.

Ciao!

And.....after all of that.....you acknowledge your weight loss is from diet and exercise and not the pill.

Although quite verbose in my approach, i was basically saying, that everyone needs their "comfort food". Meaning, sometimes this pill or that diet or whatever mentally motivates someone, "actually works", or whatever it may be. But if it mentally or physically aids in a result towards a meaningful goal, who cares what it cost. it satisfied a mean to an end, that's all that matters. Ok, maybe this whole thread would feel better if i said the RK "worked" in theory because i ate less while consuming it. Now if the RK provides a "placebo effect", then the "PE" is the one that worked. THUS, if a "PE" aids others in helping boost a weight loss goal then good.

The bigger picture is that we are all here for a healthier lifestyle change, if some people need a boost, boost away. At least we're not taking steroids, well most of us anyway. =)
  • ladyingenu
    Options

I'm glad it helps you ... The placebo effect can do amazing things as pointed out above. That's why Dr Oz's miracles work for some people: they believe in it. Kevin Trudeau, who was convicted of larceny and fraud in the 90s, made a lot of money peddling various dietary "miracles", baldness "cures", etc as well as real estate scams. One of them as I recall was a pen with fragrance in it you'd sniff when you were hungry. Did it work? Might very well have ... If you believed in it. Today, I see ads for Sensa all over the place ... Pretty much the 21st century version of Trudeau's Smell-O-Pen. A century ago, women swore by Lydia Pinkham's tonic which I'm sure worked for many of them. Of course, the high alcohol content helped, too. ;)

This sort of nostrum peddling has been around for centuries. I think a lot of us make an effort to warn people away from them because they're often lining the pockets of shady people at the expense of the hopeful and gullible. Whatever anger you might see is usually directed more at the quackery than at those who fall for it, When it comes to my health, I tend to trust medical science rather than TV doctors. But if you find them useful for one reason or another and don't mind lining the vendor's pocket, go for it.

EDIT: another thought on placebos ... Back in the days when I was actively working as a mental health professional, individuals and couples coming to me for therapy would often note that things started to get better before we had a single session. When you make a decision to change something, that decision changes your behavior. For example, MFP helps becase you know when you are deciding to eat something that you're accountable to your journal here. Just as when you're using something like RK, you're determined it's going to work ... And you subconsciouly change your behavior in small ways. Next thing you know, you've lost 10 pounds without realizing the small changes you've made in your behavior. As I said earlier, if it works for you, go for it.

I agree with you and i don't think people quite read exactly what i meant. Placebo effect or not, whatever floats peoples boats and gets them to change, mentally or physically, change towards a better lifestyle, towards achieving their goal, that's all that matters. I just am not a fan when people knock other people's methods saying it's a waste of time and money because some people who are buying these things need help starting out, staying on, etc. In the end we are all striving to end up in the same place, who cares how we get there.

Lol, to the person buying the doggy gummies, I'd like to order a bag too from Google Shopping Express when available. =]
  • ladyingenu
    Options
    To "nomeejerome". I understand what you are saying, but you did acknowledge that people "think" they work. i actually am skeptical of these things myself, and my appetite did change, because of the pill? Maybe. Its my second time around losing a chunk of weight, who knows, maybe its because I'm older and when i work out i eat less, i dunno. BUT thinking they work, if they work, WHATEVER, as long as it MENTALLY or PHYSICALLY stimulates, motivates change to a healthier lifestyle then fine. Maybe to be politically correct, i should say, "the RK aka PLACEBO EFFECT works", and if a placebo helps some people lose some weight on their journey great. All i was acknowledging is the fact that I ate those lil suckers and i did feel less hungry each time it was really weird. Do i NEED them, no. But for the time I consumed them, they did do what was intended. Coincidence? Who knows. Did i purchase them because i wanted to lose weight? No. I just wanted to eat less because the people of Skinny Cow came out with a product from heaven that i LOVE! hahahaha. JK. i'm a foodie and i LOVE to eat. i was thinking if there was something out there that could help me eat less that would be great, but I'm i fat, no. Am i active, yes i work out 4-5 days a week.

And no one else acknowledged that I did write "for those of you who are great at sticking to the diet plan and working out consistently, GOOD FOR YOU." If everyone could be like that plain and simply, we'd all have Jessica Biel bodies. ooooooo weeeeeee!
  • ladyingenu
    Options

Ciao!
    So I pose the question: Is this how you're going to do it for life? If so, more power to you. If not, then without the pill, you still won't be able to control portions and weight regain happens. It's a common thing with supplements, pills and fad diets.
    I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just trying to get you to see what you plan to do about weight in the future.

IDEA Fitness member

I feel that i've been posting the last 10 posts because so many people have quoted me, lol. Sorry my fitness pal doesn't have a more efficient way to address each user specifically in one post, or maybe i don't know about it.

But to your question, NO i'm not taking these gummy things for life. Hah. i bought them because they were on sale at GNC and I wanted to give them a shot. No one really read what i wrote about me being wary of stuff like this and when i took it I did eat less than i thought. So call it coincidence, but the RK did what it was supposed to during the time that I consumed it. So in theory, it "worked". Now does it really work scientifically, who knows. Maybe it does mentally. Maybe this hot weather makes me eat less since I'm out in CA. I dont know. But long term, i work out on a regular basis. i just love eating so I bought the ketones thinking, what if there was something that helped me not eat so much. All in all, if I had it or if I didn't, i'd still do what I do. I'm not fat. I'm active, body fat percentage is good, and weight is good.

In the end being fit is a life style change, it isn't a fad diet, its just a decision to live healthier and live better. I just am not a fan of people putting other people down for them wanting change or needing some help to change. Now i agree with you, if people are doing the RK stuff long term, that's a lil far fetched, but if it helps 'em out to start out, so be it.

Like for you, you look great. You probably have an excellent regime for diet and exercise and that's awesome, but not everyone can do that mentally or physically right off the bat. Plus MFP is a community to help and motivate, not put down or knock.

Now GNC will have an influx in RK returns and PetSmart will have an increase in Mtn Dog supply purchases. HAHAHA.
  • gailsprecher
    Options
    What is the matter with you people? If GC and/or Rk work for some and doesn't for others, how is that a bad thing. I understand wanting to warn someone that these things may not help them, but some of the comments that are being made are just mean. It is hard enough to lose weight and be overweight in this society, but when you can't seek understanding and encouragement on a weightloss message board its a little ridiculous. Help one another, but if you don't have anything helpful or nice to say, don't say anything at all.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I agree...I encourage people to waste money instead of donating to the food bank or to cancer research.

And it does not work.

TY for your time.

What is funny is your profile pic I have seen....so you either stole it or you have many accounts.