Is there a shake a person with pre-diabetes can drink?

Options
MelaniaTrump
MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
I see the question repeated over and over again:
"I went to the doctor and he told me I am pre-diabetic. He told me to go on a low carb diet. I don't know what to eat".
To stop this condition, you would think someone would have created a shake by now to stop this condition. Or is such a thing out there? That you can buy at a grocery store or GNC.
If the situation is that dire, a person could drink this shake for 2 meals a day, and have a dinner that is low carb. Until they start learning how to cook low carb healthy meals. That could also be a fast boost for stopping the progression. They can learn about the low carb way slower without worrying about breakfast, lunch AND dinner.
If there is such a product, why don't doctors tell their patients. Because they can get sued over recommending something? No such thing as a low carb meal replacement powder?
What sparked this question: I ran across a video on something called Soylvent meal replacement powder.

Replies

• JamieAlison9
    JamieAlison9 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My father in law with type 2, lost two stone, and also lost his diabetes. It can be cured, by eating right, and losing weight. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Big Pharmas job,is to keep you ill, so they can make fortunes selling you not needed medications.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My father in law with type 2, lost two stone, and also lost his diabetes. It can be cured, by eating right, and losing weight. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Big Pharmas job,is to keep you ill, so they can make fortunes selling you not needed medications.

Seriously, that is BS! You obviously do not take anything that keeps you alive or keeps you a functioning human from day to day.

ETA: Diabetes not cured but in remission
  • queenliz99
    Options
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure Glucerna shakes are made specifically for people with diabetes. They would probably meet your needs.

https://glucerna.com/
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Seriously, that is BS! You obviously do not take anything that keeps you alive or keeps you a functioning human from day to day.

If it's type 2 couldnt it be reversible?
  • queenliz99
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

If it's type 2 couldnt it be reversible?

Reversible but always lurking
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I did not know that people with diabetes are more prone to kidney disease. Great link.
    I also did not know about resistant starches like beans. Researching that.
    Uncooked starch resistant cornstarch looks like a winner in diabetic shakes.
    I'm sure GNC sells something. I know walmart does not.
    Conclusion: People could use help at the start of being shocked into instantly changing their way of eating. Having a shake to replace just one meal a day could make life a lot easier to change. I'm surprised products are not sold at more stores for this or advertised more.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Premier Protein shakes have 30g protein, 3g fat, 5g carb. I rely on them when we are really busy work and don't have time to sit down and eat. 160 calories. You can buy online or at Costco, I am sure there are other places you can find them. Also CarbAdantEdge by EAS have a favorable nutrient profile for a diabetic.
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My husband is type 2 and drinks premier protein shakes. 30 G protein, 5g carbs. They taste great (chocolate) and don't spike his bs. We tried glucerna but they have more carbs (11 or 13g) and spiked his sugar. We also use quest or isopure protein powder to make shakes. Hubby eats low carb, around 20g per day and within 1 year his A1C went from 11.7 to 5.6
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm type 2 diabetic and started out using glucerna shakes, slimfast, or just whey protein shakes made with water. I use shakes 2x a day on the days I work because I do not get a lunch I don't or atleast haven't noticed a spike in my blood sugar because of the Shaked either. I do also weigh everything on a food scale for solids food and cups for liquid such as the shakes and milk and water and so on
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The cure is not a shake, it's eating properly, exercise, and weight loss. I reversed borderline diabetes in 3 months. Lots of people here have had similar results. My macros were about 60% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fats. Nothing special, except being consistent. Weight loss during this time was about 25 lbs, and I was still severely obese.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Premier Protein shakes have 30g protein, 3g fat, 5g carb. I rely on them when we are really busy work and don't have time to sit down and eat. 160 calories. You can buy online or at Costco, I am sure there are other places you can find them. Also CarbAdantEdge by EAS have a favorable nutrient profile for a diabetic.

Premier Protein shakes taste a lot better than the EAS ones, definitely look for them at Costco. They sell for around double at other stores.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    . Big Pharmas job,is to keep you ill, so they can make fortunes selling you not needed medications.

This is a pretty bold claim to make and probably quite offensive to people who work in medicine because they want to help people.

When you break your arm do you go to the doctor or do you treat that with kale too?