Ideal weight for me when I'm 5'4

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    drabbits2 wrote: »
    I am 5'8", currently 173. Happy weight is 140. That takes a lot of work! I am aiming right now for 150 and then see where we are.

5'4" is not really close to 5'8"

I posted that stat too in my other post. I did it so OP would have a comparison on the 150lbs. If that weight looks decent on me, it may be too high a weight for her. (I was trying to say it in a polite way)
    Which was also why i mentioned the mirror and how her clothes fit, because we're all built differently.

Sorry, rambling now...

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I am 5'8" and according to the charts I would still be very overweight at 150 and that's with a good 4 inches on you.
  • Christine_72
    I am 5'8" and according to the charts I would still be very overweight at 150 and that's with a good 4 inches on you.

What, really? What charts say this?

• AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member

I highly doubt 150 would be very overweight for you...

I am 5'8" and weigh 150 lbs with a BMI of 22.8. Putting me within the normal weight category.

Can you show me what weight chart you looked at?

• Christine_72

I am 5'8" and weigh 150 lbs with a BMI of 22.8. Putting me within the normal weight category.

I'm not that far below 150lbs, and when I was, i had a bit of belly podge. But I wasn't overweight, let a lone very overweight. .

• AnthonyX150X

I'm not that far below 150lbs, and when I was, i had a bit of belly podge. But I wasn't overweight, let a lone very overweight. .

Yeah, that's why I'm wondering what chart she looked at because I never saw one that had 150 labeled as overweight/very overweight.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member

Maybe because I'm old? They say 120/130 is ideal. I find that ridiculous - I've never been 120, not even I high school. I would actually be happy with 150.
  • Christine_72

Maybe because I'm old? They say 120/130 is ideal. I find that ridiculous - I've never been 120, not even I high school. I would actually be happy with 150.

The lowest I've ever gotten in my adult life was 127lbs. I was skin and bone, and looked terrible. I was in my late 20's then.
  • AnthonyX150X

Did the chart say 120/130 is considered ideal for females?

A small framed 5'8" female might be able to look healthy at that weight, but I know I definitely wouldn't.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member

Every single chart I've found online says a healthy weight range for 5'8" women is 125 to 163 pounds. 150 is not even overweight according to this range.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    edited June 2016
    OP, I'm 5'4", started at 218, and am currently 162. At this point of your journey, I would just disregard your bodyfat % and go according to your BMI. It's just an easier to track your progress than trying to evaluate your bodyfat %. My max weight according to BMI should be 145. My personal goal I set at the beginning of my weight loss journey was 143 because I knew it was healthy and reachable. When I meet that goal I will set my next goal. I know from personal experience that I would look much better, and feel more fit if I lost a bit more than that. The lowest I have ever been in my life was 137 in my early 20's. I was really athletic at the time and although I wasn't a body builder, I almost looked like one (an off-season one). I would love to get back there, muscles and all. I know it isn't necessary in order to lose poundage, but if you find a sport you love, and really train for it, it will push you to make yourself stronger. When you get stronger, you get leaner and your bodyfat % will have no choice but to come down. Good luck!! :smiley:
  • Monsterdog1114
    Monsterdog1114 Posts: 32 Member
    OP, what is your frame size? Small, medium or large? Are you muscular? These are all factors that might help you 'take a guess'. No matter where you guess, you can always change it later once you get there.

For example, I am large framed (even X-large), and muscular and (very top heavy)... My goal is 145-150 at 5'3". I have been as low as 140 and I was skin and bones and didn't look healthy.

I barely fit the top range of my height (according to charts), but my Dr agrees, it is not always the best factor...

• biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    edited June 2016
    I am 5'4" and started my weight loss journey at 153 lbs and 33 % BF (via fitbit scale). Now I weigh 136 lbs. Looks like I have no visible fat anymore and my scale says 29.5 %. But Fat scales are supposedly not reliable, so it might not even be correct.
  • kooshky
    kooshky Posts: 77 Member
    If you get down to 150, or whatever weight, are able to do everything you enjoy, and like the way you look, that's what matters. There are SO many other factors to your health than these numbers.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Healthy weight range for those of us who are 5'4" is 108- 145 lbs. You may feel and look your best at the top of that range or at the lower end depending on how you are built. I feel I am better at the middle to top of the range. I would not think 150 would be your ideal weight or have you at an ideal body fat percentage unless you are very muscular. Evaluate as you go.
    How much body fat percentage you have at a weight is going to differ from person to person. Two people can weigh the same but have different body fat percentage. How much you find ideal for you depends on your goals. 21%-31% is probably acceptable body fat percentage to most women.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/your-body-fat-percentage-how-its-measured-and-why-its-useful.html
    http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Don't worry about the BF% thing at this point - even if it WAS accurately measured (DEXA scan or similar), you will lose some lean mass as you lose weight no matter how careful you are. And if it was measured any other way, it's unlikely to be accurate anyway.

Unless you are a bodybuilder, you're probably not going to be at an ideal bodyfat above the top of your healthy BMI range. Women are very unlikely (unless they are trying - busting their butts in the gym, training for competition, etc) to have a BMI above 25 and low body fat. Example:

2k2pt5lwidsd.jpeg

That said, people are built differently and that is why there is an ideal range, to account for frame size and musculature etc. I'm 5'4" but have narrow shoulders/ribcage/etc. and don't do a great deal of strength training (I run) so I stay on the low end of the range, around 118lb with a bodyfat of 20%ish. At 140 I look visibly overweight still and I know I'm overfat at that point. Women with larger frames and larger muscles look more slender than me at 130 or even 140 though if they're very fit.

Finally, you don't have to decide now what you want. When you hit 150, look at yourself and decide if you're happy. If you are, fine. If not, lose more and see what you think at 140, etc. It's often really difficult for people to imagine or predict how they're going to look at a certain weight before they get there.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member

According to the official BMI chart, at 5'8" and 150 pounds you are in Healthy Weight:

bmi-weight.gif
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    synacious wrote: »
    Where did you get your body fat measured? If you got that number from a scale I wouldn't trust it, as they are very unreliable and easily change BF% readouts based on a number of factors including hydration levels. 150 pounds at 5'4" is still in the overweight range by a few pounds. Everyone is different, but there is absolutely no reason you cannot go below 150 pounds. Instead of thinking about the long term, try reassessing your goals every 10 pounds. When you are happy with your weight loss, you stop.

Well said.

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,505 Member
    peleroja wrote: »

That said, people are built differently and that is why there is an ideal range, to account for frame size and musculature etc. I'm 5'4" but have narrow shoulders/ribcage/etc. and don't do a great deal of strength training (I run) so I stay on the low end of the range, around 118lb with a bodyfat of 20%ish. At 140 I look visibly overweight still and I know I'm overfat at that point. Women with larger frames and larger muscles look more slender than me at 130 or even 140 though if they're very fit.

Finally, you don't have to decide now what you want. When you hit 150, look at yourself and decide if you're happy. If you are, fine. If not, lose more and see what you think at 140, etc. It's often really difficult for people to imagine or predict how they're going to look at a certain weight before they get there.

Agreed. I'm just under 5'4" and 122 pounds. I lift, so I have a good bit of muscle, but I have a very small frame with narrow hips and ribcage so I am visibly overweight if I get over about 130. I suspect my ideal weight will be around 115. I was at 118 last summer and still had a bit of spare tire.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

According to the official BMI chart, at 5'8" and 150 pounds you are in Healthy Weight:

bmi-weight.gif

That is an odd looking chart at the tall end. It's OK to be 120lb if you are 6' but too skinny if you are 5'10"?

OP I do think that it is correct for 5'4" though. 110lb to 140lb.