weight bench at home - what to do?

Options
Hi all!

I keep hearing great things about weight lifting added to workout routines and I have no clue where to start!

I have lost 16 pounds in the last 3 months by walking 2 miles a day and monitoring my food.

I am now adding some jogging into my nightly walking routine.

My son has a weight bench in our basement and I figure I could get some use out of it, but I really don't know what to do, how many times a week etc.

Oh we also have a punching bag - anything good with that?

I like my walks, but some days bad weather keeps me inside, so the weight bench would be great! I do 30 minute walks, can I weight lift on the same days?

If anyone has the time to tell me what exercises to do I would be most grateful. The weight bench has the arm thingy and leg thing at the end too.

thanks!!
Lisa

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I do 30 minute walks, can I weight lift on the same days?

Unless you have a severe medical issue preventing you from doing so - of course you can.

Aside from the bench, what sort of weights are there?
  • lncoleman
    lncoleman Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hmmm - I don't know what weight the weights are. I will check tonight.

There is a bar and I think 5, 10 and 25 pound weights to add to the bar. There are also dumb bells.

You can add the weights to the leg thing too.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Well, I generally don't advocate leg extensions.
    But you can do hamstring curls
    I'd also do step ups on the bench (IF PERFECTLY STABLE)
    Lunges, progress to weighted lunges, progress to split squats
    Overhead dumbell press (arnold press)
    dumbbell bench press

if you don't know what any of these are, google something like "hamstring curl exrx"

Warm up by walking, jumping jacks, and doing the patterns with very light weight.

I'd do everything as 3 sets of 6.
    Next week 7, then 8, then 9, then 10. Once you are at 10 reps, use a bigger weight and start over at 6 reps.

Maybe something like...

day 1:
    lunges
    overhead dumbbell press
    dumbell deadlift
    hamstring curls

day 2:
    squats
    dumbbell bench press
    dumbbell rows
    bench dips

For now, I'd avoid things like curls, tricep kick backs, those sorts of things. Use youtube as a resource for form videos. I really like Scott Herman Fitness channel for that.

I'm no expert. These are just suggestions. There's lots of neat stuff available. Books, programs. With your equipment you might not be able to do starting strength, stronglifts, or new rules

Maybe allpro's routine (google it)
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Maybe allpro's routine (google it)

Yep... All Pro's Simple Beginner's Routine (probably with dumbbells), or Rippetoe's Starting Strength.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224&page=1

Both are based on barbell routines, but both can be used with dumbbells... and, really, if you're just starting out you almost have to start out with dumbbells since a 45 lb. barbell can be well beyond what you can lift. :)

Either one can give you a good routine of compound exercises in 45-60m a day, three days a week.