Good, quick workouts in a second floor apartment?

Options
I am a preschool teacher that just started dieting again a couple of weeks ago. By the time I get home to my 2nd floor apartment, I am too wiped out to be motivated to exercise. Plus, living above the grump on the first floor, I struggle to find exercises that won't be loud to the downstairs neighbor. These two things mean I just end up not exercising. An suggestions on a workout video/dvd/app for me?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yoga is quiet
  • KMW6114
    KMW6114 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a chair yoga video that was decent the last time I tired to lose weight. Once I got used to it. Any yoga beyond that, when I try, is a struggle. I have a lot of weight to lose and a weak left wrist due to breaking it in 2008.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Could you purchase an exercise bike? Or maybe buy a gently used one?
  • KMW6114
    Options
    I don't have a lot of room but I could potentially make that work. Would it be too loud on the downstairs neighbor though?
  • queenliz99
    Options
    I wouldn't think so. Try them out first. I would set up a bike on a foam floor cover, I think it would deaden any sound
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    How about going outside for a walk?

Yep, or try the Leslie Sansone "Walk at Home" videos.

https://youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,064 Member
    Options
    Jog up and down the stairs. :) Each flight of 20 stairs is about 6 calories burned. Approximately.

And I second or third the idea of going outside.
  • bdhigdon858
    bdhigdon858 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Towel runs...!!!
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    yoga dvd's. yoga works wonder on mood overall health mental and physical. great way to re-shape the body as well as weight loss if it is vinyasa yoga! running stairs or walking stairs. check out the list of exercises and you will be amazed calories burned on things you do all the time. gardening, i do for a living= 250 cal/ hour! who would have known. good luck...any exercise is better than none.
  • FrancineJM61
    FrancineJM61 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i have a walking tape i like he can't *kitten* about you walking.. Does he own the house you live in.
  • FrancineJM61
    FrancineJM61 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I live on the second floor I walk up and down the stairs if they are outside you get fresh air, sun
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Youtube millionaire hoy has specific quiet workouts
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Practice landing softly. Step-ups, box jumps, jogging in place ... can all be done in a quiet manner as you progress.

To make it more interesting, you can time your sets/reps. For instance, practice 4x10 of lunges, planks, step-ups and suspension pulls. Time it. Beat your time next round.

There are many body weight programs like You Are Your Own Gym that can help give you guidance (or something to follow) and help you progress.
  • KMW6114
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions everyone! I take my dog for a walk every day but lately it has been limited by his health issues. The stairs are a good idea but I have been avoiding that because they are loud and I don't want to disturb the neighbors in the apartments near them. I will check out the various videos you all suggested. Thank you!
  • KMW6114
    Options
    Oh I know I can look it up on google. But there is so much out there, I wanted to hear what other people like. :) Thank you for the links!!
  • Jennifer7800
    Jennifer7800 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone is my go to work out...some dvd's more intense than others & she uses weights & stretch bands in many of them. Love her upbeat attitude.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I live in a 3rd floor apartment and I basically just walk around the apartment with some music or TV show on. The building is pretty old (built in the 1970's) so the floors are kinda creaky, and the person below me has yet to complain.