What they don't tell you about maintaining your weight?

Options
So, I've lost 57lbs over the last 16 months and have just started to try to up my calories to maintain my current weight. I've read lots of tips on this part of the message boards, but I'd also like to know what's in store as I move to keeping the weight off - forever!

There's a thread with a similar title in the success stories category - I thought it could be useful to people new to maintenance to gather the insights of those successfully maintaining in one place. Let us know what to watch out for!

Replies

• louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I am not there yet but will be soon. So I am following for tips.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I switched to maintenance in April.

I'm finding I've gone under my goal range because I'm so in love with exercise I keep earning too many calories to eat back.

I haven't quite been able to get my head around switching to "gain weight" or eating over my calorie limit just yet.

I'm just eating back all my exercise calories to test whether my Fitbit is accurate or not, as I've only ever eaten back 50-75% of them and lost at my weight loss goal rate.
  • girlgroves
    girlgroves Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

I'm finding I've gone under my goal range because I'm so in love with exercise I keep earning too many calories to eat back.

I haven't quite been able to get my head around switching to "gain weight" or eating over my calorie limit just yet.

I'm finding exactly the same - I'm also slightly afraid of increasing my calories too quickly/too much in case I gain back lbs.
  • girlgroves
    girlgroves Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    "They" don't seem to tell you it's fun - and it is.

That's good to know for a start ☺

Thanks for the tips - I feel borderline obsessive already and that's not a good place to be - moderation I guess.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I've done the weight loss thing for so long that I can't seem to switch over to maintenance mode. There are days where I eat at maintenance but like others have said I love exercise and clean eating so much that I always fall short of my target.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I've done the weight loss thing for so long that I can't seem to switch over to maintenance mode. There are days where I eat at maintenance but like others have said I love exercise and clean eating so much that I always fall short of my target.

If you keep falling short of your target you are going to keep losing weight....
  • tlobatomfp
    tlobatomfp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    girlgroves, I think if you eat right you are going to do just fine maintaining your weight. Just me, I eat a lot of complex carbs. I rarely eat potatoes of any sort (fries, chips, hash-browns), sugar, and or regular milk. This has helped me tremendously. Good luck and congrats on the weight loss.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,002 Member
    Options
    @girlgroves Thanks for posting this thread. I'm 6 pounds from maintenance and since I plan on having a 5 pound range, I am only 1 pound over my "high" maintenance number. I have been really anxious about switching to maintenance and upping my calories. I'm nervous that I will gain weight when I switch and I'm nervous that I will keep losing. It is nice to hear from people who are in maintenance. Thank you to all the maintainers who have responded. Your replies are really helpful.
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @girlgroves Thanks for posting this thread. I'm 6 pounds from maintenance and since I plan on having a 5 pound range, I am only 1 pound over my "high" maintenance number. I have been really anxious about switching to maintenance and upping my calories. I'm nervous that I will gain weight when I switch and I'm nervous that I will keep losing. It is nice to hear from people who are in maintenance. Thank you to all the maintainers who have responded. Your replies are really helpful.

If you are worried about both gaining and losing in maintenance, might I suggest losing only down to the middle of your range. Then slowly upping your calories. Good luck!

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,002 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea @Owlfan88. I am at 140.4 this morning and my range is 135-140. I think I will switch when I'm in the middle.
  • badgeraway
    badgeraway Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a Weight Watchers veteran and adapted pretty easily to the MFP system of calculating calories, as compared to the WW method of calculating points. I've been in maintenance mode for two weeks after achieving my initial goal weight three months into the MFP protocol. Its important to reward yourself for goals achieved, and establishing an acceptable range in lieu of an arbitrary number is a smart step in that direction. I'm going to enjoy the summer at this weight and then partner with my trainer in the fall, targeting my high-school weight. Its easier to ride the waves of loss and gain if one embraces the reality that we've signed up for a lifestyle change, and lifetime monitoring. Relax and remove the senses of immediacy and urgency from your goal quest.
  • TheRootofGroot
    TheRootofGroot Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Came off of my cut in early June and since then have slowly been scaling my calories back up to maintenance, that's the trick, it is called "reverse dieting" and is the best way to maintain your weight.

If you're on a big deficit that you've sustained for an extended period of time, your metabolism has likely slowed to compensate for the shortage of calories, so if you suddenly jump right back up to your calculated maintenance you're at risk for putting back on a chunk of the weight you've worked hard on losing out on.

If the end of your cut had your daily goal at say 1500 calories a day then I suggest that once you've reach your body goals you proceed to add from 75 calories to 150 a week up until you reach your maintenance.