Unable to lose my stomach fat

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Here is a 4 step approach to lose fat and maintain as muscle, so you looked more "toned" in the end:
    1. eat at a slight deficit (only way to lose weight/fat is a deficit)
    2. get adequate protein (helps retain muscle)
    3. do some sort of strength training, preferably a structured program (helps retain muscle)
    4. Give it time

How much time in general? Few months? A year? 10 years? I know it's probably different depending on how much a person needs to lose but it's a logical question to ask. It's frustrating to continue to do something thinking "any day now...any day now..." and not have any idea of when you'll actually get to the goal. Where is the line between "I haven't been patient enough" and "ok, what I'm going must not be working because I'm not seeing any difference?" I think the people like yourself showing off abs in their picture have the luxury of "being patient" because they already have abs.

EDIT: Also, I'm curious if the "be patient" crowd invested nearly the amount of time/effort as they're expecting other people to. Ab people, let's hear some real numbers to this. How long did it take you?

Time would depend on BF% and how much you have to lose. You should look for 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week if you have less than 30lbs to lose. So if you need to lose 10 lbs to lose stomach fat, then that should take about 20 weeks (0.5lbs/week when 10-15 lbs left to lose)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Here is a 4 step approach to lose fat and maintain as muscle, so you looked more "toned" in the end:
    3. do some sort of strength training, preferably a structured program (helps retain muscle)
    4. Give it time

How much time in general? Few months? A year? 10 years? I know it's probably different depending on how much a person needs to lose but it's a logical question to ask. It's frustrating to continue to do something thinking "any day now...any day now..." and not have any idea of when you'll actually get to the goal. Where is the line between "I haven't been patient enough" and "ok, what I'm going must not be working because I'm not seeing any difference?" I think the people like yourself showing off abs in their picture have the luxury of "being patient" because they already have abs.

EDIT: Also, I'm curious if the "be patient" crowd invested nearly the amount of time/effort as they're expecting other people to. Ab people, let's hear some real numbers to this. How long did it take you?

I've lost 55 lbs since Jan 2014 and have been consistently lifting since July 2014 and still have not lost all my stomach fat. I have stretched skin due to pregnancy and obesity and poor hormonal response to more than the slightest of deficits at this point. My standard response is that it can literally come down to the final 5 or fewer pounds, even with serious weight training built in.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'm going to hazard a guess here that some people (women more specifically) may never lose it. I think it depends on where you store your fat. Apple shaped women may never get to a low enough BF% to lose that last belly fat hiding their abs. This is COMPLETE guesswork on my part as I am not an apple. This is coming from my experience as a pear shaped woman. I have extremely low BF for a woman with defined abs and upper body, but I really don't think I could get rid of the little bit of excess thigh fat without dropping to the 11ish BF%, which would make my upper body look very gaunt.

Just a completely unscientifically backed theory.
  • needtolosethatweight26
    Options
    jmidd97 wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll groan at seeing this, sorry about that ;) , but are you sure you're eating at a deficit? I'm new at this, but I think stomach fat is pretty similar to hip fat, or leg fat - a reasonable calorie deficit should get rid of it in time, and then abdominal muscles will become visible if developed enough.
    All the best!

I am definitely eating a deficit but not given up any specific food groups. I still eat my cookie/cake/chocolate within my calorie goal.
  • needtolosethatweight26
    Options
    Are you sure it's fat? It could be excess skin?

Yes maybe but how do I know the difference?
  • needtolosethatweight26
    Options
    happygalah wrote: »
    It would help to know your current height and weight.

I am 5 feet and 2 inches and weigh 67 KGS.
  • needtolosethatweight26
    Options
    4. Give it time

I am doing all of this.
  • needtolosethatweight26
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    Have you measured your belly? With a 20 lb weight loss I suspect it has shrunk-but still feels large as the rest of you has also shrunk.

Do planks and burpees

Already doing planks and burpees but no my belly measures the same.
  • jemhh
    Options

You simply need to continue to lose fat. Whether your goal is visible abs or simply a flatter (not super flat) stomach, your main issue right now is excess fat. Continue to eat in a deficit and you will lose fat from all over your body. It may very well still come off of your stomach area slowly but you are (likely) 25+ pounds from a flat stomach.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    Lmbo at ab people.

It took 3.5 years to get to where I am which imho ain't there yet I can see top 4 still holding fat on lower abs

Starting weight 188.9

Began weight lifting and only weight lifting eating at a deficit.
    12/29/12

current weight 142.2

Reached weight of 141 (lowest weight) 16 months into weight loss.
    No abs present.

2.5 years into journey finally got serious about a bulk.

Bulked for 6 months Lifting heaviest I ever lifted eating well into a surplus (gained 20 lbs)

February 2016 sat at 159 lbs.

entered a deficit still lifting heavy

today same weight different body top 4 abs in.

continuing to cut to 135 then back to bulk to grow legs.

I never did a single sit up or any ab work. Compound lifts engage the core. My next bulk will include ab work.

So it would be safe to say it has taken 3.5 years. The time will pass anyway.

Time will pass but it can be brutal starving yourself for yearrrrrrrrs at a time. If people are going to throw out advice they at least need to be honest about how difficult it really is. Not the sugar coated "slight deficit, be patient." Give the real answer. Say "listen, it's going to take you 2 years to lose 5lbs at some point. Have fun feeling like you're dying for no results."
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I didn't starve, I never cut below 1700 calories.

It took me 6 months to lose 40 lbs.

Bulk is eating in a surplus. I gained 20lbs

I had to build up muscle to show muscle.

If you have enough muscle to support the look then you don't have to do what I did tho most people do find themselves undermuscled.

Um whats the rush? Once a person gets the abs...then what stop working out?

Just so you know, when you see someone who is displaying abs, THEY WORKED FOR IT.

so if you just want abs without the work its never going to happen.

• mom23mangos
    edited June 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

You simply need to continue to lose fat. Whether your goal is visible abs or simply a flatter (not super flat) stomach, your main issue right now is excess fat. Continue to eat in a deficit and you will lose fat from all over your body. It may very well still come off of your stomach area slowly but you are (likely) 25+ pounds from a flat stomach.

^^ At 67KGS/147lbs, eating at a deficit is your main goal. You will not be able to see any abs until your BF is down. You may be big boned, if so you are looking at the 120lbs/55KG range. If you are very small boned like me (I'm also 5'2"), you are looking around the 100lb/45kg range.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    4. Give it time

I had posted this in another thread. Below is my abs progression with time frames. That was a 10lb weight loss with lifting. At the OP's weight, I would expect 6 months or so to get where she wants to be.

wnyuu0vmuebf.jpeg
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options
    I think I see my issue. I'm dealing with a bunch of people who aren't having the same experience as me. My starting weight was 365. I'm 217 now. I've dieted for the better part of 4-5 years already. The scale barely moves anymore. And since I have to eat an insanely low calorie amount to make it move I gain zero strength even though I do the same compound movements everyone else does who seem to be getting great results. It's total crap. I do the same work and don't get either of the results other people get. I mean most people, they are either eating and gaining strength or not eating and losing fat. I get neither. Explain where someone like me is supposed to get my motivation from LOL. I'm sure lots of people are in this boat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I think I see my issue. I'm dealing with a bunch of people who aren't having the same experience as me. My starting weight was 365. I'm 217 now. I've dieted for the better part of 4-5 years already. The scale barely moves anymore. And since I have to eat an insanely low calorie amount to make it move I gain zero strength even though I do the same compound movements everyone else does who seem to be getting great results. It's total crap. I do the same work and don't get either of the results other people get. I mean most people, they are either eating and gaining strength or not eating and losing fat. I get neither. Explain where someone like me is supposed to get my motivation from LOL. I'm sure lots of people are in this boat.

How many calories are you eating? Do you use a food scale? What workout program are you doing and how often? Do you have medical issues? What are your stats?

Motivation comes from within. We can give you the path to get you there, but only you can be determined enough to get there. I have been doing this on and off for 6/7 years and I don't have abs. I am fairly low in body fat (~16%) and that is after a 50 lb loss (220-170ish). I will get done to 10% but it will come when I am ready to really dedicate myself to get down that low.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options

If you have enough muscle to support the look then you don't have to do what I did tho most people do find themselves undermuscled.

Just so you know, when you see someone who is displaying abs, THEY WORKED FOR IT.

It's not about wanting to stop working out. It's about wanting the work outs to actually amount to something. Some sort of tangible result. If I don't lose fat working out and I'm not gaining strength working out what am I actually working out for? I guess that's what ab people don't really get or understand. They do something. They get a result. They eat to gain muscle they get stronger. They lose weight to see abs they see abs. Normal people don't get that.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

How many calories are you eating? Do you use a food scale? What workout program are you doing and how often? Do you have medical issues? What are your stats?

Motivation comes from within. We can give you the path to get you there, but only you can be determined enough to get there. I have been doing this on and off for 6/7 years and I don't have abs. I am fairly low in body fat (~16%) and that is after a 50 lb loss (220-170ish). I will get done to 10% but it will come when I am ready to really dedicate myself to get down that low.

I weigh everything except the Pad ma parn him (I think that's the name of it) I get every Thursday when I get my one meal out a week. I weigh the rice that comes with it usually but it's always about the same and since I don't know the value for the other thing I figure what's the difference? 1800 calories most days. Probably closer to 2400 that day since I'm eating out. I've lost weight it's just crazy slow. Less than a half a pound some weeks. And all my results in the gym are flat basically because I can't eat.
  • jemhh
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

It is pointless to make any suggestions to him. He disappears for awhile and then comes back to derail thread after thread about how he can never lose weight. Former name: BFDeal.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

It's not about wanting to stop working out. It's about wanting the work outs to actually amount to something. Some sort of tangible result. If I don't lose fat working out and I'm not gaining strength working out what am I actually working out for? I guess that's what ab people don't really get or understand. They do something. They get a result. They eat to gain muscle they get stronger. They lose weight to see abs they see abs. Normal people don't get that.

The first time I ever had a six pack was at age 33, so up until that point I was not an "ab person", but I still managed to get them.