Training for a rock climbing wall

Options
I decided that when I hit my 50 lb goal, I will do a rock climbing wall. As of last weigh in, I have 14 pounds to go (AHHHHH!!!). So, I would love some tips for training to do this climbing wall. ok, shoot!!!

Replies

• Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are avid climbers and go several times a week. The best way to train, I think, is to just do it. Start at the beginner walls and work your way up. Strength training is a definite plus. Are you planning to climb continuously or just once as a treat?
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are avid climbers and go several times a week. The best way to train, I think, is to just do it. Start at the beginner walls and work your way up. Strength training is a definite plus. Are you planning to climb continuously or just once as a treat?

Since this is my first time, I'm not sure. But if I like it, I'll definitely do it again.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    O I guess I should have mentioned that I am going to have my boyfriend video the whole thing!!!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It's a lot of strength work, but its super fun. They have walls that angle forward with hand grips (rather than finger grips) that are good for starting. Do you have a climbing gym around?
  • sioark55
    sioark55 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the other poster has put... also to build up stamina for climbing you will have to build up your hand strength and toughen up the skin.... After the first time, your hands will really hurt but if you stick at it it will ease up. I think it is something that is quite easy to be good at and it is easy to feel you have acomplished something if you go to a wall that re-sets it's routes often. It is also a really sociable environment.

Good luck!