Intermittent Fasting challenge

Options
Boredmp
Boredmp Posts: 12 Member
I've been hearing about intermittent fasting (IF) a lot and how healthy it is for our bodies. There is a lot of research that suggests IF can help with weight-loss amongst many other things. I have never been able to dedicate myself to IF for more then one day but I've decided to make this challenge to motivate me.

The goal:
1 day a week practice IF.

What I mean be IF (Intermittent Fasting) - is one day a week go 16 hours without consuming any food. That could be done by skipping breakfast one morning and not eating anything until lunch. Or you could skip dinner one day.

This article explains things much better then I can: http://jamesclear.com/the-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting

Quoted from the article:
"Daily Intermittent Fasting

Most of the time, I follow the Leangains model of intermittent fasting, which uses a 16–hour fast followed by an 8–hour eating period. This model of daily intermittent fasting was popularized by Martin Berkhan of Leangains.com, which is where the name originated.

It doesn’t matter when you start your 8–hour eating period. You can start at 8am and stop at 4pm. Or you start at 2pm and stop at 10pm. "

Any one want to give it a try with me?

Replies

• MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I just started this 2 days ago and so far it's been great! I'll join the challenge with you :)
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    Just do it 7 days a week
  • dreamer1876
    dreamer1876 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to commit to this lifestyle, once again. I'll join you!!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You may have more takers in an MFP group devoted to IF

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
  • Boredmp
    Options
    So today starts week 1, remember to pick a day that you are going to try IF and post your results! I'm going to start my week off with an IF day I'll let you know how it went =)
  • Boredmp
    Options
    Thank you TeaBea for the link to the IF community, I will be visiting that site!
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    The last few days I've been done in with snacking later at night than I should, but I've able to stick with 14/10. Tonight I'll watch the clock closer and hopefully be back to 16/8 tomorrow!
  • Klw43
    Klw43 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This is Day 4 for me and overall it's been pretty good. I've been doing 16:8, while staying within MFP calorie range and surprisingly have not experienced any major hunger or cravings. I typically drink a cup of coffee with a splash of almond milk in the mornings, but today I unfortunately had to have a second cup at 11:00a...with half-and-half and a Splenda. :# I should have had just a cup of black coffee by itself. My fed state is between 12 noon - 8pm and water has become go to instead of late night snacking.

Good Luck to all!!
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I'm almost halfway through hour 22 right now, going to take it to midnight for a total of 30hrs!
  • toniquimby
    toniquimby Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I currently do this most days of the week but just recently learned it had a name. :D I usually skip breakfast. Eat lunch at noon. Generally stop eating by 8pm. When I stick to this, I get good results. Sticking to it with a family that wants to eat all 3 meals on weekends is tough.
  • Boredmp
    Options
    Everyone seems to be doing a great job. Last week was tough to get into IF, I haven't completed my day this week yet. I'll do it tomorrow to make sure I accomplish that goal. Great job to Kwr417 for going 4 days in a row, if you aren't used to IF that is very impressive!

I'll keep you posted on how tomorrow goes. My plan is to eat an early dinner so that I can at least start eating tomorrow with a morning snack around 11.
  • DMajor86
    DMajor86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started this past weekend, I'm on day 3 and I have already lost some weight. I do the 20 hour fast and 4 hour eating window from 11am to 3pm. I am in the military so I workout in the morning from 5am to 7:30am. So far it has been going well, I feel hungry until about 9pm and I usually just drink more water.

I know it works and I want to see what results I will see between working out and doing IF.