Decided to try and make my life better.

Options
Hello!

I'm 22, and I've been overweight my whole life. I hate looking in the mirror, family photographs make me cringe and I get winded walking up the stairs. I have two nieces I can't play with all the long because extended physical activity exhausts me and I decided I don't want to live that way anymore. So I joined this morning and have decided that something needs to change, and my compulsive eating is one of them. Hopefully, by forcing myself to keep track of everything I shove into my mouth I can begin the journey of losing the 80 pounds to bring me back to the weight typical of someone my age and height.

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    good for you for starting so young!
  • BinaryFu
    BinaryFu Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    First of all, WELCOME! This is a journey and having friends along the way really helps. Second, don't slam yourself - you may be fed up of your actions (especially if they feel uncontrolled, it can feel like there's this evil person lurking inside) but there are reasons for your actions.

Finding out what they are is part of the process. Recording your food is one step and it's a big one. I would also happily recommend spending less than $20 and picking up a food scale - amazon has some really accurate digital ones that I've really enjoyed using for awhile now call Ozeri. Once you can see what a portion size is (and believe me, measuring cups don't measure - they estimate) it also helps big time.

Try not to worry too much about "eating healthy" and "exercise" starting out. The first thing you want to do is just start slowly, sanely and safely losing the weight. That generally comes from a calorie deficit.

I recommend to my friends to start out by setting your activity level to sedentary on MFP and just trying to stick under the calorie goal at first.

Meeting your protein goal is often a huge step towards healthy as well, since it helps rebuild muscles we may not have been using as much in the past and it generally helps keep us away from empty carbs. Protein and fiber you will find, help fill up most people and keep them feeling fuller for longer periods of time.

Remember that whole "finding out is part of the process" stuff? It is. There may be days where you just want to eat and eat and eat. You might realize after tracking your foods that protein poor, fat poor or carb poor days appear to be the cause! Or you might notice that every time you're around certain people, you eat! Or it might be every time you have a high stress day...the point is, by starting off with monitoring your food and minding your calories, you'll start building data that will really help out in the long run.

One final note - the weight loss looks small to begin with. 2lbs/week sounds pathetic. It's not and these fad diet and crazed workout companies should be ashamed to keep posting "miracle speedy weight loss programs!" because ultimately, they fail unless you turn them into a religion.

I started my weight loss journey several years ago when I found myself at 398lbs. My goal weight is 200lbs.

When I started here, it was because I had hit a plateau at 325lbs and just could not go any further (mainly I felt, because I could not exercise) and needed help.

It turned out that I didn't need exercise, I needed to be aware of how many empty calories I was eating daily. It was a lot. Just enough in fact, to keep me at 325lbs in maintenance. Since late February when I started on here, I've officially dropped 31lbs and am now down to 294lbs.

I still have 94lbs to go and you are invited to take this journey with me and my friends.

So again I say, WELCOME!
  • anitralahiri
    anitralahiri Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You got this!!!