Awake longer, so eat more?

Options
DesOdhi
DesOdhi Posts: 84 Member
Today, and probably more often in the near future, I'm going to be awake for about 20 hrs. Recently, I've been trying to eat around 1200 calories per day but I'm only usually awake for 12 to 14 hours. Long story short, should I increase my caloric intake since I'll be awake longer?

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Destinyy wrote: »
    but I'm only usually awake for 12 to 14 hours.
    You may have mistyped. You can sleep 12 hours a day usually?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    1200 is a default minimum. So unless you are incredibly petite (you're not elderly) you can eat more & still lose weight.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,642 Member
    Options
    Also, are you sitting on your butt just twiddling your thumbs the extra time you're awake or are you going to be active?

More activity = more calories.
  • DesOdhi
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Also, are you sitting on your butt just twiddling your thumbs the extra time you're awake or are you going to be active?

More activity = more calories.

I work 12 hours a day & those extra hours acct for time in college classes.
  • DesOdhi
    Options
    Destinyy wrote: »
    but I'm only usually awake for 12 to 14 hours.
    You may have mistyped. You can sleep 12 hours a day usually?
    Lol, no unfortunately. I usually work 12 hours a day & I'm so exhausted after I get off that I sleep for the other 12... unless I have classes.
  • mayburcm1
    mayburcm1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue, I work shift work and today I'll be awake for about 20 hours because I just can't nap when I'm switching over. I'm sort of experimenting with starting my next days worth of meals (the meals I'll sleep through). I have no idea if this will work, but I wouldn't stretch out 1200 calories over 20 hours, that seems like a very small amount for that time frame of being awake.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    So... you are going to be regularly only getting only 4 hours of sleep a night? Sleep is very important for daily function and health as well as weight loss. Eating more might be something you need to do for other reasons, but it won't take the place of much needed sleep.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    So... you are going to be regularly only getting only 4 hours of sleep a night? Sleep is very important for daily function and health as well as weight loss. Eating more might be something you need to do for other reasons, but it won't take the place of much needed sleep.

im pretty sure she says she sleeps 12 hours a night?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

im pretty sure she says she sleeps 12 hours a night?

...but that is changing and she'll be awake for 20 hours each day (12 for work and 8 for classes) so will only be getting 4 hours of sleep.

OP, being awake doesn't burn more calories than being asleep does. Only being more active cause more of a calorie burn. So if you're awake longer but your activity level doesn't go up (like if you're just sitting in a class), your calories won't be affected.

That said, if you're working so hard that you come home and crash for 12 hours every night, you likely need a lot more than 1200 calories anyway.
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you're eating 1200? You might feel more energized eating more but just at a slower loss rate per week. Performance at work and school might pick up with that as well.
  • chookywillow
    chookywillow Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I work nights and have a young family so get 2 hours sleep two or three times a week. I don't recommend it! I think it contributed to my weight gain as I was constantly tired. ate for energy and ended up fatter and still tired! I eat 12-1400 calories a day. spread my meals out over the 22 waking hours. I find hot meals help a lot. soup in a thermos is a great way to stay alert. I also drink too much diet coke on my long days! I hope this is a short term situation for you. I will have done it for 4 years when my youngest starts school. it has aged me much more than that.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Being awake for 20 hours. Is that for three days a week or more like seven days a week?
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to say that schedule is going be a crash and burn. Lack of sleep will cause your appetite to increase because the body is doing anything it can to get energy to stay awake...but you won't burn any more calories. It can also lower your immune system.