Weighting food.

Options
I was reading on here, that weighting your food is very helpful. I have a scale, but have never used it for that reason. How do I know the proper amounts or weights for the foods I am eating? Right now I count calories, but really don't seem to be going any where.

Replies

• suzieprstn199
    suzieprstn199 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Can you scan your food packaging? If so, that usually gives calories per 100g or serving size. Work out what serving size you want to eat, eg 150g would be a serving of 1.5 if your serving size is 100g. and add to the scales until you hit that weight.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Just to check, there are scales for weighing your self and there are scales for weighing your food, and they are different scales.
  • BlendaBrenda
    BlendaBrenda Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Depending on where in the world you are the packaging will be a little different.
    In the US it'll say, one serving size 1oz (28g) or apprx. 10 chips.
    So if you've been counting out 10 chips, 3/4 cups, or whatever measurement you could be way off. It'll always have that grams measurement for you to look at for a serving size and the calories allotted for that serving size.
    For meat and produce just weigh your serving and log it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There is no "proper" amount to weigh, you can just weigh what you eat, and then log that weight. If you find that results in more calories then you would like to have at that time, then the "proper" amount would be less than that. :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Just to check, there are scales for weighing your self and there are scales for weighing your food, and they are different scales.

My thought, too. Food scales look like this...

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Digital-Multifunction-Stainless-Kitchen/dp/B0113UZJE2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1466784600&sr=8-4&keywords=kitchen+amazon

And the serving weight of what you are eating should be listed on the packaging, right behind the serving size. See this label? See where it says "Serv size 1/2 cup (120 mL)"? You would use the food scale to weigh out 120 mL to know you are actually eating the number of calories the serving is. (No idea why it is side-ways. Sorry.)

nzkqccgpr8cz.jpg