Losing weight and gaining muscle

Options
HM2206
HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
I've come to a point where I only have a few pounds left to lose to be 'completely happy' and also want to tone up - specifically get stronger arms, abs and butt.

There are probably different opinions on this, but I wonder if it is impossible to do both at the same time? In other words, whether one cannot get stronger or tighter when on a deficit?

I usually work out at Barry's Bootcamp here. For those who are unfamiliar, half the class is cardio and the other half is strength training - focusing on one muscle group per class.
After the class I will eat back some of the calories (leaving some wiggle room) and make sure I get a lot of protein. Still, I am at a deficit for the day when I go to bed.

Can I not get any results from the strength training while I am also losing? Does anyone have experience combining the two?

Replies

• cwang125
    cwang125 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to continue to lose weight, eating at a deficit will achieve that. If you had said your goal was to put on additional muscle mass, it's something that is very difficult to do while eating at a deficit.

If you're near your goal weight and have become much more active, you may need to increase your intake to reach maintenance.
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    cwang125 wrote: »
    If your goal is to continue to lose weight, eating at a deficit will achieve that. If you had said your goal was to put on additional muscle mass, it's something that is very difficult to do while eating at a deficit.

If you're near your goal weight and have become much more active, you may need to increase your intake to reach maintenance.

Well my goal is both really. But it's hard to know when the weight loss is 'finished' and muscle mass build can begin - if they are two completely different processes.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You will get stronger in a deficit (muscular efficiency) but you wont' really gain new muscle and even if you did, it wouldn't be a lot. But if you concentrate on a small deficit, adequate protein and a solid lifting routine, you will help preserve your current mass and get cut up a bit.
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    As you're so close it may be time to do a different approach. Maybe eat at maintenance with a decent protein intake and focus on strength training, hopefully within 6 weeks or so you should see results in the gym.

You may even gain a few pounds through muscle increase and water weight may add for a few days.

Then cut the calories back and you may feel you are happier with what you see once you lose a few pounds of fat.
  • Ob30470z
    Ob30470z Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I believe you can gain muscle and lose fat whilst in a calorie deficit.
    I am 5"10 (f), been on MFP for two months and have lost both body fat and gained muscle. Last month I lost 9 pounds of fat and gained three pounds of muscle. I eat around 1450 a day during the week allowing a bit more flexibility at the weekends. I do eat a lot of protein.
    Hope that helps
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ob30470z wrote: »
    Hi
    I am 5"10 (f), been on MFP for two months and have lost both body fat and gained muscle. Last month I lost 9 pounds of fat and gained three pounds of muscle. I eat around 1450 a day during the week allowing a bit more flexibility at the weekends. I do eat a lot of protein.
    Hope that helps

I would question how you are measuring your muscle gains. Because 3 lbs of muscle gained for a female in a month is impossible even in a surplus. Women typically can only gain about 1 lb per month and males around 2. Now, there is a little variation, but not that vast.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    OP if you are nearing the end of your weight loss and want to start "tightening" things up you could go for a recomp.

It is a slow process but is doable at maintenance while doing a progressive load lifting program and adequate protein.

Ob30470z wrote: »
    Hi
    Hope that helps

probably not 3lb muscle gain unless you are obese and new to lifting, a young male full of hormones, new to lifting and even then it's hard to gain 3lbs of muscle for a woman...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you are unsure, I would go for a recomp for a little while. You get to eat at maintenance which should up your energy and you can add a little mass along the way while shedding fat. I gained around 24lbs of muscle in around 2 years at maintenance calories so it can be done.
  • Ob30470z
    Ob30470z Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, obese (or was). I lost 5.5 stone after I had a baby and put three stone of it back on after my second. Previously lost the weight (got down to 22 percent body fat) with MFP, resistance training and cardio. So not new to resistance / strength training, but a while "off the wagon".