shakeology.

Options
lun4wub
lun4wub Posts: 25 Member
I have seen some YouTube reviews for shakeology, and I have heard a lot of mixed reviews. And I was wondering if anyone here thinks that it is worth it. Are the nutritional benefits really that good? How is the taste? I have had issues stomaching a lot of shakes in the past because of the powdery flavor. Is it really worth the high price?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Not worth it for soooooo many reasons!!
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I don't really find it worth it for the price. I have a couple girls on my FB friends list that sell it.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Nope not worth it.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi
    You can prepare a much better protein shake at much lower cost.
    I prepare my protein shake with: whey protein isolate, one banana, 100 grams pineapple, 1 tsp almond butter and almond milk. I take it very day 45 minutes before my workout. Try it and you will save yourself money against Shakeology, Herbalife, insert "blank" here, etc
  • satansonion
    satansonion Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is expensive and I do not know if it is worth the money. There are a lot of natural macro nutrients and whole foods in the blend, but most of the quantities of these items are in much smaller quantities than studies have shown positive effects from. It does not have any questionable ingredients except for natural flavor, and that one is so hard to escape. The vegan chocolate shake, I can tell you from experience, is very good. One of the best tasting protein powders I have tried (I have not tried any other flavors). But if cost is at all a large factor, you can find other slightly more cost effective blends (I think shakeology works out to something like $4 per smoothie).
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Buy a cheap protein powder like EAS, mix it with milk (or almond milk) and bam a decent tasting protein drink for half the price.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You can ask for a a sample packet from yourBB coach so you can decide for yourself!
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Yeah they say they are healthy, but you have to actually drink it. I could barely stomach more than a few sips. So gross and gritty!
    There are a ton of shakes out there and people will give you honest reviews of them. The issue with shakeology is that the coaches want to sell and they won't tell you how gritty the shakes are.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yeah they say they are healthy, but you have to actually drink it. I could barely stomach more than a few sips. So gross and gritty!
    There are a ton of shakes out there and people will give you honest reviews of them. The issue with shakeology is that the coaches want to sell and they won't tell you how gritty the shakes are.

Not even a sample, seems odd but then again, if it tastes like "puppies".
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have a friend doing a doctor assisted 600-800 cals per day shake-only diet program, not sure if its Shakeology but she's been on it about 6 weeks. While it is something I wouldn't do myself or even recommend as a food plan, given her health issues prior to starting this (morbid obesity, really high blood pressure, pre-diabetic...etc.) I am just thrilled she is doing SOMETHING. She has dropped 30 pounds, and that includes a fair bit of 'cheating' with salads, raw veggies, chicken and some nuts. She is getting tired of the shakes, but since she is cheating with healthy foods (and I really support this!) she is staying motivated. I think what is working the most for her is the group sessions she must attend weekly, there is some real accountability and structure that works for her. She is walking daily too as she has to log her steps for the doctor. So it's not JUST the shakes that is working for her. Infact you could argue she is being successful despite the shakes and the program (since she is cheating on it to stay motivated). Does Shakeology have a program or is it just a source for food? I am beyond proud of my friend, even though I really don't have a lot of faith in the shake diet in general.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Go to walmart, buy Pure Protein, a gallon of milk, and a $14 mixer or blender. Add a multivitamin if you want to.
    Pure Protein with on sale at Target is about .67 a serving.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Mosh likely the shake provides nutrients that she would otherwise get thru more calories. Pure Ptotrin & similar snakes have only protein. Shakeology has additional nutrition. You cane blindly substitute one for the other. Good for your friend & kudos to you for supporting her.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Op stay far away from multi level marketing scams
    Low quality products at a high cost

• lun4wub
    lun4wub Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would like to thank every one for the advice so far. What got me curious was the taste factor because I have a hard time with how most protein powders taste.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @lun4wub if you have trouble with how it tastes have you tried making it in a mini blender or a small mixer? Have you tried making it with milk? Made with room temperature water makes me throw up. You might also consider almond milk.
    Go for quality in protein powders. Ask here what brands are good and what you currently use. For starters Pure Protein chocolate at walmart is not bad. Some cheap stuff out there is horrendous.
    Shakeology has added vitamins. In other words vitamin powder added to it. So if you like the extra nutrients, just swallow a multivitamin.
  • Emijanine
    Emijanine Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is going to hate on me, but I drink it every day and love it. It's just all about what works for you. And no, I am not a coach. I have a great coach who helped me out on my fitness journey! It is pricey, I agree.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    When I did shakes I used Optimum Nutrition and it was good. I mixed mine with either almond milk or milk though.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Mosh likely the shake provides nutrients that she would otherwise get thru more calories. Pure Ptotrin & similar snakes have only protein. Shakeology has additional nutrition. You cane blindly substitute one for the other. Good for your friend & kudos to you for supporting her.

Or get a cheaper shake and a multi vitamin. All the other "nutrients" found in Shakeology are in such small amounts they do nothing for you.
  • Emijanine
    Emijanine Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    lun4wub wrote: »
    I would like to thank every one for the advice so far. What got me curious was the taste factor because I have a hard time with how most protein powders taste.

The Taste is awesome. I do vegan chocolate since I can't handle how whey protein bloats me.