Teachers who gained weight due to teaching!!

Options

Replies

• itootdaflute1
    itootdaflute1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes add true lime to a jug of water that i drink from during the day at school. I haven't tried stevia out of fear i might have the same reaction as sugar substitutes. I like the snapple sorta sweet tea (honest, that's the name). I have tried agave and like it but that stuff is expensive! My twin sister has tried many times in the last few months to quit drinking sodas in support of me...with no success. Sometimes I REALLY need a soda (stress) but I stick to my guns and distract myself with other things that need attention.
  • heidimathteacher
    heidimathteacher Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge during the school year is being disciplined to prepare meals on the week-end for the coming week. I'm trying to learn to make nutritious and easy meals during the summer that will help me next year!
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I'm working on honest logging this summer... That and exercise every day... So far I have lost a pound.. Wish I could speed it up! I really need to drop as much as possible before school starts!
  • befit68
    befit68 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    4-8 Band director here... I was beginning to think we teachers only have 6-8 weeks a year to get our "stuff" together. Last year I gained back 16 lbs "working" through lunches sitting at my computer... I've been logging on everyday busting my hump to get it in check! I've even made excuses to get moving several times a day. Thanks for starting this thread! You should make it a Group. We all need a little help come Conference time. In my case Concert time...
  • olasalo
    olasalo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Another university lecturer here, I put on 25 kilos (about 55 pounds) during the last year and a half of my PhD studies and I continue to comfort eat whenever I am nervous, which is often. I have very little motivation but because I am quite competitive I thought having a weight loss buddy trying to lose weight at the same time might be a good idea. Any thoughts/ideas/candidates? :)
  • RosemaryBronte
    RosemaryBronte Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I thought we could share websites and maybe use this forum as a tool for professional development!! Have any of you fellow teachers used flocabulary? It is probably one of my favorite teaching tools! Anyone else have any favorite websites to share? Oh and I am down 2.8 pounds since starting last Wednesday! I am trying to weigh in on every third day! 22.2 more to go for the lose 25 lbs before open house!

Flocabulary sounds interesting. Have you tried Kahoot? It's exciting and the students love it.
  • hollyegan98
    hollyegan98 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A couple of my other fourth grade teachers used it and loved it!
  • tmbg1
    Options
    Kahoot is great!
  • tmbg1
    Options
    How are my fellow teachers doing this summer? I'm trying to lose as much as possible before school starts!! Hoping not to gain it back!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Why do some of you think you gained weight "due to teaching"?

I'm asking because I'm starting my elementary school teaching position, this Friday actually (teacher training). I know my schedule is going to be way more hectic and life will be more stressful, but I assume since I understand CICO I should be fine as long as I prep my meals.
  • joolie1234
    joolie1234 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've taught middle school for nine years. It is actually easier for me to maintain on MFP when I am at work. I have healthy snacks and bring my lunch to school (I have a microwave and fridge to help me). Because I stay so busy, I don't have time to think about food or munching. [...] Exercise helps me with that but I admit I am usually pretty tired at the end of the day so I don't get my exercise in as much as I would like to.

I struggle more during the summer. I am home all day with the snacks and chips that my boys eat. I also tend to socialize with friends a lot more during the summer, and that is a big downfall for me.

Me too, you took the words right out of my mouth! Its like we are twins :smiley:
  • kaaty21190
    kaaty21190 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Add me! New middle school teacher with same issue!
  • Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I love the idea of having other teachers for support! I teach 5th grade and find eating isn't my problem (stay away from the staff room) it's getting in my workouts. By the time I get home I'm exhausted! I do so much better during the summer. I have 35 days until back to reality! I would love to drop another 10#. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like support! I'm also a Fitbit junkie if you want more Fitbit friends.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm really nervous about my gym time when I start this job. I love power lifting and my training is pretty intense, especially since I'm training to compete. Hopefully I already have the habit formed and I'll be able to keep it up.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'm really nervous about my gym time when I start this job. I love power lifting and my training is pretty intense, especially since I'm training to compete. Hopefully I already have the habit formed and I'll be able to keep it up.

Just continue to keep gym time like any other scheduled event that you can't miss. I always went after school, because I have about an hour commute and do not do mornings. But try to fit it in when you can then try keeping it on a schedule. I'm assuming by training, you mean student teaching. I'm not going to lie, that was the easiest part for me because there's a lot a student teacher isn't responsible for yet. So keeping a schedule might be a tad easier during the training phase.

I personally gained weight my first year of teaching, but I had a lot of stress factors being in Wisconsin and Scott Walker essentially trying to make my position obsolete (art). So I gained 20lbs. Lost it all that summer and maintained this past school year while lifting weights. So everyone can do it. Just takes a bit of scheduling and motivation.

• tmbg1
    Options
    It's not the teaching that makes me gain weight. It is the stress and the lack of workout time... That causes me to fall back into bad habits... Not this year, though! I am ready to stay the course this year.
  • kad254
    kad254 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and am worried about starting up this new school year! Feel free to add me for support
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Former K-12 teacher and current university professor. I've always thought we had an advantage there: we're on our feet a lot, and have a relatively reasonable schedule.

When I was a younger teacher I ate way too much fast food. These days I pack my lunch and snacks most days, and find a hearty salad on the days I don't pack my own lunch/snacks.

I run before work, and do yoga/Pilates during the noon hour.

I bike/walk to work and back. I hear a fitbit. If I walk to work it's nearly 5k steps each way. If I ride, it's down hill on the way to work, and up hill on the way home (which is good, sweat wise lol).

When I run, I get about 9k steps during a run.

All in all, I feel pretty fortunate. It helps that I no longer like sweets, I'll admit. THAT makes life easier!
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    For me it was the stress and little sleep. I had a family, taught a subject that had sky high piles of marking and we owned a business with crazy hours that we lived in!

It. Gets. Better. Do one day at a time.....
  • velostervixen
    velostervixen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! HS chemistry teacher. I tend to gain in the summer because we are on the go so much we eat out a lot.