Anxiety much worse since switching to steady state

Options
Ever since I went from doing hiits on my exercise bike to steady state cardio I have noticed a change in myself. I am responding much worse to stress. Things that affected me for 30 minutes now affect me for atleast 4 or 5 hours, the anxiety comes and goes and I feel it in my body.

Any suggestions for what I could add to my exercise. I am eating the same as when I was doing hiits and felt less anxious then

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Go back to hiit?
  • beany90a
    beany90a Posts: 31 Member
    Options

I wasn't losing any more weight doing hiit or I would
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    beany90a wrote: »
    I wasn't losing any more weight doing hiit or I would

Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, not exercise per se. Exercise just increases the deficit. Tighten up your logging and go back to HIIT. No point making yourself miserable when it's an easy fix.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    So eat in a calorie deficit and do your hiit
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    so do a spin class in real life or a on-line video. You can get the same intensity as Hiit
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Cycle outside in the countryside - my best stress reliever.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    An alternative idea - longer duration interval training might be a happy middle ground for you?
    Longer duration for higher calorie burn but still intervals which are more mentally and physically demanding/interesting than steady state long duration.

Here's some routines....
    https://roadcyclinguk.com/how-to/three-training-sessions-become-faster-time-trialist.html#fBm9LmIo7kKV7oAu.97
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    So eat in a calorie deficit and do your hiit

This!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Porque no los dos? Vary your training, some long easy rides, some sprinting. What i do with running is a long slow jog with some fast running at the end.

Engaging your mind may also help a lot - maybe the HIIT was more engaging so you stopped thinking during your workout and just concentrated on what you were doing, but the longer easier rides don't give your mind the same ease. So maybe as someone said, riding or running outside instead of on an exercise bike, or singing while you ride, something to add difficulty so you can't start thinking and worrying.
  • beany90a
    beany90a Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.

I am going to try what robin said

I had been trying hiit for a year and I couldn't break my plateau. Then I do steady state and lose 7 lbs in under 3 weeks.
    I find it after I exercise that my mood changes so maybe doing hiit using my weights will help. I also bought an exercise mat to do hiit floor exercises