Clothes clear-out

Options
ballyshea
ballyshea Posts: 187 Member
I've gone down 4 clothes sizes since October 2015. At first I was reluctant to get rid of the big clothes, but I gradually have done so and haven't needed them - so - tomorrow I'm having a massive clear-out.

I've had to buy new clothes as they have been hanging off me. Some of the clothes have only been worn a couple of times, and some not at all.

The ones still with labels on will go to a charity shop, others will go to the recycling centre.

It's becoming expensive, but it's a good problem to have.

I'm still losing weight so am going to cut down on the variety of clothes and colours I'm buying for the next few months.

How do others deal with the big clothes and the regular reductions in size?

Replies

• pldavis10
    pldavis10 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Good for you in clearing out the 'too big' clothes. I do the same. It's a freeing feeling, a firm commitment to your healthy lifestyle, knowing that there's no going back to the old ways.

I have a minimalist approach to my current wardrobe, trying to keep things simple, knowing I will continue to go down sizes. I buy items on sale and I do a good amount of my shopping at consignment stores.

Congrats on your loss and having to solve the problem of needing smaller clothes!
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I donate to a local women's shelter or give them to friends.

I also shop almost primarily at thrift stores or at places where I can get a store credit card so I can pay back the debt later (the American dream). I have found clothes at the thrift store with their tags still on for like $4-5 and one time I got a sheath dress that retailed $150 for $1. Tags still on, absolutely never worn!
    Another thing I do is have 3-5 "basics" for when I'm losing weight until I'm at my goal. Usually that's just a few pair of jeans that fit well (or leggings, leggings make the world go 'round) a few T-shirts, maybe a jacket or two and a good-fitting bra or two. I'll still wear the bigger ones for a while as long as they're not too huge.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    My special clothes I am giving to appropriate friends-both my mom and sister have lost weight and are just into the jeans I'm just getting out of. I even found a package of underwear from travelling where I had only worn one pair. rest are now too big. Another friend has happily received some of my "dressy" clothes, and another friend happily took my hard to find sized bras.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    If I can get into the next size down, I do it! I have gotten rid of all my bigger clothes as soon as possible, donated to the local charity. I will never be those sizes again. I've gone from 24W to 14 petite. I do try to ensure I buy things on sale, and am really choosy about my wardrobe so that I don't have tons of stuff. The only really expensive item I buy is bras. I'm a very large cup size and very small chest size, so my bras are purchased from a specialty shop and cost about $100 each. However, extenders have helped there as well. I buy smaller and use an extender on the hooks.
  • DebBahr
    DebBahr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    At first I was reluctant to get rid of my big clothes because I don't think I was confident in my weight loss. Now, they are all gone except one pair of jeans so I have a comparison. I went from an 18 to a 10. In between sizes are hard. Skirts work well. I only had one pair of jeans for each of my in between sizes. Just made it work. Now I am making up for lost time buying cute clothes!
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I just took a load to a consignment store today. It's a win/win. They pay you for your old things and you can find new clothes at a discounted price.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Thrift and consignment stores (and sales!) are your friend while still losing! :) I may be forced to buy some smart work clothes at some point (if I ever find another job *sigh*), but I have several smarter items in smaller sizes that I'd kept after I put on weight last time so I'm doing okay at the moment! I don't mind wearing baggy things around the house, and my cats like to climb on me so I don't want to wear the nicer things that fit well anyway!

As for the clothes that are far too big, I've been donating those to my local thrift store so far. We have a consignment store in town too, so when I shrink out of the nicer/newer stuff I may take some there and get a little money for it. I wanted to donate to the nearby women's shelter, but for some reason they will only take brand new clothing and have a wish list of things they want, they won't take just anything. (Personally, if I was in that situation I wouldn't care if something had been worn before, I'd just be glad of a change of clothes! But whatever.)

Congratulations on your loss so far! And isn't it a great feeling to be able to get rid of things that are too big? I agree with @pldavis10 that it's such a freeing feeling! I've even got rid of some items that still fit but just aren't flattering - no more buying things "just because they fit", I want them to look good too! :)
  • ballyshea
    Options
    ballyshea wrote: »
    I've gone down 4 clothes sizes since October 2015. At first I was reluctant to get rid of the big clothes, but I gradually have done so and haven't needed them - so - tomorrow I'm having a massive clear-out.

Done today and it was very therapeutic. I took summer stuff with labels on to a charity shop and some to a recycling centre.

I still have some winter clothes with labels on. I'll bring those to a charity shop in October. They only keep stock for 2 weeks so there is no point bringing it now.

I've ended up with lots of free drawer and wardrobe space and empty clothes hangers.
    Plus an incentive to keep the weight off.

Win win situation. :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I let friends and family go through mine...
    In order to save money on the new clothes, I have an Old Navy visa card that I use for groceries and gas. The rewards bucks add up quickly! I have bucks back each month that can be used at Old Navy, Gap, or any of their affiliates. I get great deals and can buy new clothes when I need them.
  • forruths
    forruths Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm down 4 sizes since last summer and I've been donating almost everything to the charity shop and sold a few things on eBay. It's an expensive business but I'm enjoying being able to shop in more stores and have more choice. My weight loss has slowed now so at least I get to wear things for longer before donating them!!
  • ballyshea
    Options

Done today and it was very therapeutic. I took summer stuff with labels on to a charity shop and some to a recycling centre.

I still have some winter clothes with labels on. I'll bring those to a charity shop in October. They only keep stock for 2 weeks so there is no point bringing it now.

I've ended up with lots of free drawer and wardrobe space and empty clothes hangers.
    Plus an incentive to keep the weight off.

Win win situation. :)

The cold weather seems to have arrived here already :| so I'm not waiting until October. I've started going through the autumn/winter clothes that are too big now. Again some of it will go to charity shops, some the recycling centre and some ebay. Very therapeutic. :)
  • daisygirl2017
    daisygirl2017 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 16 now so I'm getting rid of my 22/24. I always wanna keep a size up but getting rid above that
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I have been through so many wardrobes the past 2 years and 147 pounds! I buy almost everything at Goodwill, we have some good stores near us. I buy, give it back when it falls off, and replace it with something similar. The worst part is getting rid of clothes you really like. Now I'm close enough to my goal (4 lbs) I can start buying stuff for keeps!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I was able to share some clothes with a friend on a tight budget. Friend A and I swapped out some clothes. I gave her my "too big" clothes and she gave me a bag full of "too small" which I then shared with Friend B. All 3 of us ended up with new to us stuff.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!