One more squat question...if you don't mind

Options
KDar1988
KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
Some of you may remember that I posted that I cannot do the barbell back squat (I'm doing SL 5x5). I have tried several times, have had my form checked and can't do it due to horrible pain in my upper arms. Trainer I saw said I could have a pinched nerve and said I am very tight in my neck....so I just don't do them.

Instead, I've been doing landmine squats and progressing through adding weights. I'm up to 85lbs now and i'm finding that picking the bar up off the floor is a workout in itself. At some point soon I'm not going to be able to lift it up in the air. Any suggestions on what I should do next? Or am I out of luck for squats?

Thanks!

Replies

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
    Can you do machine squats?
    There are pads at your shoulders and you don't need to do anything with your arms just squat with your legs
  • sappermuff
    sappermuff Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a front squat.
  • sappermuff
    sappermuff Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Actually I thought about this a little more. Does your gym have a safety squat bar? It looks like a regular bar with handles on it. They were designed lifters with beat up shoulders. EliteFTS also makes attachments for bars that do the same thing.

http://www.elitefts.com/shop/accessories/obb-power-handles.html
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    sappermuff wrote: »
    Actually I thought about this a little more. Does your gym have a safety squat bar? It looks like a regular bar with handles on it. They were designed lifters with beat up shoulders. EliteFTS also makes attachments for bars that do the same thing.

yes a safety bar, or maybe a different shaped bar would be easier on your arms. There is also a zercher harness you can use.
    i would like to suggest you have a professional access your arm issues, rather than a trainer saying you have a pinched nerve. figure out whats really wrong and go from there. it might just be a mobility and flexibility issue.
  • KDar1988
    Options
    Good for you!
    Can you do machine squats?
    There are pads at your shoulders and you don't need to do anything with your arms just squat with your legs

I'm not sure. I will need to see what one looks like to be sure!
  • KDar1988
    Options
    sappermuff wrote: »

I haven't seen one.
    Sonya..thanks..I may check out a PT and see if they can check things out.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Although not a preferred apparatus by myself, a Smith Machine would be a close, safe, and possible pain free alternative to barbell back squats
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Front Squat.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 rotator cuff surgeries -- both left and right -- and have a broken right clavicle. All of these things make it difficult for me to hold the bar in the back squat position properly. I bought an EliteFTS Safety Squat Yoke bar for my home gym. It's great for people w/shoulder problems but few gyms have them and they retail for $389 plus shipping and sales tax (if applicable)

However, I also have a Manta Ray attachment for a standard Olympic bar which also helps w/bar placement and comfort. It only costs around $50 and will easily fit in any gym bag. So, OP, I'd suggest you give the Manta Ray a try. If you decide to buy one, just be careful NOT to buy a cheaper knock-off; there are a lot of them out there especially on eBay. Only buy the real TM product.
  • DresdenSinn
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    However, I also have a Manta Ray attachment for a standard Olympic bar which also helps w/bar placement and comfort. It only costs around $50 and will easily fit in any gym bag. So, OP, I'd suggest you give the Manta Ray a try. If you decide to buy one, just be careful NOT to buy a cheaper knock-off; there are a lot of them out there especially on eBay. Only buy the real TM product.

I have the Manta Ray, I didn't care for it much, I use the "Squat Sponge" instead.

• KDar1988
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I will try a different variation (thinking front will have to be it) and will look around the gym to see if either one I go to has any of the other options you're suggesting. They might have something and I just haven't noticed.

Thanks again!
  • hannahsadler_tn
    hannahsadler_tn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to throw out the idea of goblet squats. You use a dumbbell held between both hands at chest level. The difference I notice is that it focuses on my inner legs and core more than a regular squat, but when I had it as part of my weightlifting routine, I was up to a 100 pound dumbbell and it wasn't too bad getting it in position because I was lifting it off the dumbbell rack.
    Just a thought!
  • DresdenSinn
    Options
    I'd also like to throw out the idea of goblet squats. You use a dumbbell held between both hands at chest level. The difference I notice is that it focuses on my inner legs and core more than a regular squat, but when I had it as part of my weightlifting routine, I was up to a 100 pound dumbbell and it wasn't too bad getting it in position because I was lifting it off the dumbbell rack.
    Just a thought!

I thought of suggesting that also but dismissed it due to her upper arm pain. I also do these with feet spread wide and taking it as far down as I can, really hits the hams and glutes.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I missed this- but why are you not getting your pinched nerve fixed/looked? That seems like a significantly better choice than working around an fundamental exercise- yes there are variations- but if you are in pain from doing something like that- you need to have it addressed. By an actual doctor.
  • KDar1988
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Perhaps I missed this- but why are you not getting your pinched nerve fixed/looked? That seems like a significantly better choice than working around an fundamental exercise- yes there are variations- but if you are in pain from doing something like that- you need to have it addressed. By an actual doctor.

I don't believe that's really what's going on. I don't have shoulder or arm pain any other time doing anything. I've never injured my neck or shoulder and don't have back issues. I had my husband try putting the bar on his back and he had no trouble. For me, I really think it's just I'm not flexible enough there. He was watching me and could see that I just can't get my shoulders back far enough. I will have to keep trying but in the meantime I don't want to stop doing the 5x5 for squats so I'll have to find a variation that helps me progress with adding weight.

and thanks for the suggestions Hannah and Dresden.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have flexibility issues in my shoulders from injuries, age, and joint disease.

There are many yoga stretches that have quickly opening the range and helping with the pain of doing squats.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    Instead, I've been doing landmine squats and progressing through adding weights. I'm up to 85lbs now and i'm finding that picking the bar up off the floor is a workout in itself. At some point soon I'm not going to be able to lift it up in the air. Any suggestions on what I should do next?

Barbell squats, like this. Arms parallel and between knees, not in front of them. If the weight hits the ground, stand on plates. :+1:

y9iOqTa.jpg
  • DresdenSinn
    Options
    ^ That's more or less a Sumo Deadlift
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    So if you don't have an injury or a medical reason to avoid back squats, have you considered just adjusting your grip width? At least, while you work on addresses the mobility issue? Some people with flexibility problems (commonly injury-related) squat with a grip width that is insanely wide. I'm talking, hands pressing on the collars of the bar, like so:

image016.jpg

Obviously an extreme example but it's may be worth experimenting with to find a spot that's comfortable? Ideally I'd want to be as narrow as possible while maintaining good form and comfort but a few inches may make all the difference in the world. Also experiment with thumbs-over or thumbs-under grip too, the angle changes may help.
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    Instead, I've been doing landmine squats and progressing through adding weights. I'm up to 85lbs now and i'm finding that picking the bar up off the floor is a workout in itself. At some point soon I'm not going to be able to lift it up in the air. Any suggestions on what I should do next?

Barbell squats, like this. Arms parallel and between knees, not in front of them. If the weight hits the ground, stand on plates. :+1:

y9iOqTa.jpg

I'm not sure what you call that exercise, but it looks painful.