Can i build muscle and lose fat at the same time?

Options
I got some fat everywhere and not much muscle, I'm just wondering can you lose fat and building muscle at the same time? If so please tell me how I can thanks

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Through a body recomposition (eating at maintenance and completing a progressive lifting program) is the best way. If your plan is to lose weight, you may gain a tiny amount of muscle at first when you start lifting, but not much.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You can also continue to gain muscle long term, but it is a relatively slow process.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Get on a structured lifting program, eat at maintenance or a slight deficit.
  • Kobz27
    Kobz27 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    "You lose weight in the kitchen and gain muscle at the gym"

Log everything! Measure your food! You can do it!
  • pluthera
    pluthera Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lifting program?
  • mecoconleche
    mecoconleche Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You can, but the muscle gain will be small. Remember after you eat your body is in a surplus, and it may use those calories to create more lean body mass
  • cristinaestbz
    cristinaestbz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yep you can, I once read it is useful to do strength exercises 3 times a week, and cardiovascular exercises 4 times a week. It's kinda difficult gain muscle while you're trying to lose fat too, because when you do aerobic exercises, your body uses your muscles as energy, so you lose a little % of muscle. Butttt if you gain muscle, it is easier for you to lose weight, because you burn more calories in less time. Obviously.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I got some fat everywhere and not much muscle, I'm just wondering can you lose fat and building muscle at the same time? If so please tell me how I can thanks

Yes you can.
    Do a proper weight training program (most beginner programs will be full body, three times a week), eat a good amount of protein, have a small calorie deficit and be patient.

Being new to weight training will help, being young will help, being female will hinder.

Take progress photos and measurements. Muscle building is a slow process.

• sijomial
    Options
    Yep you can, I once read it is useful to do strength exercises 3 times a week, and cardiovascular exercises 4 times a week. It's kinda difficult gain muscle while you're trying to lose fat too, because when you do aerobic exercises, your body uses your muscles as energy, so you lose a little % of muscle. Butttt if you gain muscle, it is easier for you to lose weight, because you burn more calories in less time. Obviously.
    @cristinaestbz

Sorry that's very inaccurate! Your primary fuels are fat and glycogen. Using muscle for fuel is highly inefficient and really only a last resort that few people need to worry about.

I'm cycling over 100 miles a week at the moment, I wouldn't have any muscle left if I was using it for fuel....
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options

People new to lifting can see decent gains and lose fat at the same time. I suggest a full body program 3 times a week. Something like Strong Lifts 5x5 is great because it's only 3 lifts each workout. You can start much lower than suggested in the program (it was written for men), and you don't necessarily have to increase weights as quickly as suggested. However, it's a great structure for you and easy to follow, and will hit all the major muscle groups.
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

I started very overweight, 240 lbs @ 5'3", and I'm now about 10 months in and am 160.4 lbs and I'm starting to see some definition, and I am definitely stronger.

People who are already in great shape can't do both. If you're already at a good weight, but just need to recomp, then eat at maintenance and still do the above program. It will just take longer to see results. If you are at a good weight and want to really build muscle, you will have to eat at a surplus, lift heavy (the "bulk" phase), and then do a "cut" to lose the extra fat.

Remember that your body needs energy to build muscle.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you can! The calorie deficit is for losing body fat. Lifting weights is for building muscle. It totally makes sense that you can do both at the same time. The whole "bulking" thing is a myth, but there are some young men who are "hard gainers" who might need more calories. For the rest of us, it's finding that fine line with food energy, not too low, not too high. The body weight scale is not very useful for measuring re-composition.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I know we usually hear it's impossible, but I believe it's very doable, as I have been doing it myself since hitting maintenance a few months ago. I find the trick is to find a nice balance of lifting, cardio, and the slightest of deficits each day (100-300). The muscle growth part is very slow tho! xo
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Yes you can.
    Do a proper weight training program (most beginner programs will be full body, three times a week), eat a good amount of protein, have a small calorie deficit and be patient.

Being new to weight training will help, being young will help, being female will hinder.

What do you consider to be a good amount of protein?

• sijomial
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »

Yes you can.

What do you consider to be a good amount of protein?
    @oolou
    Personally I like 1g of protein per an approximate 1lb of lean mass (doesn't have to be terribly precise). Should be enough for muscle sparing in a deficit and supporting recovery after training without completely skewing your diet.
    But it's a hot topic with many and varied opinions...... :)