Ladies: Were you shocked by your body fat %?

Options
1235»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,707 Member
    Options
    Knowing the numbers doesn't change reality. Neither does not knowing the numbers (though I think ostriches have low bodyfat, given those skinny legs but all that speed, head in sand or no). Of course, they can be a tool, and the trend is probably the most useful part.

By one of the bioelectric thingummies (arm test), so not accurate, mine used to be in the mid-thirties (at 183 pounds, BMI just over 30, a.k.a. just into obese, at a time when I was already active, strong, muscular). Now my scale (also presumably not accurate) usually says something in the 20-21%ish range.

The military calculator web page says 21.5%, so basically consistent. (Does anyone else find it odd that this does nothing with breast size?)

From the photos, my upper body looks mid-teens, and I'm muscular, which is a little scary-looking on a li'l ol' lady (especially in dress-up clothes) if you ask me, but my lower body looks more mid-twenties.

On the multi-colored chart, this all would make me lean. On the descriptive scale, this would put me at fitness bordering on athlete, which isn't wildly crazy based on lifestyle.

This is at 5'5", 120lb goal weight (plus or minus 3), dropped a little low now to 116.6 this morning, so BMI 19.4, lower end of normal.

Haven't had a dexa (for fat; had the bone density kind because I'm bleepin' osteopenic - it was the cancer drugs, I think) or bodpod, don't know if I ever will.

I feel good, strong, healthy. I'm not going to stress about any one number - weight, BMI, BF% . . . well, OK, my overweight blood lipid numbers and blood pressure did freak me out, but that's why they're history now.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    _piaffe wrote: »
    I haven't had my BF done properly - it's on the To Do list. My Aria average (which I know is not accurate) is around 18%, and went as low as 16% when I was in deficit. I am very lean and boney on top, and carry fat in my thighs especially - a pear. It's not the greatest look because I'd like to lean my legs out another 5 pounds, but I fear it would somehow come off in the wrong places.

I feel like my top half and bottom half need totally different BF numbers!

I'm in the same boat. I've used my Aria all along, so at least for comparison I know my BF dropped. It says it went from around 21% to about 14% now. The military link puts me at 16%. I think I'm probably closer to 17% based on the pic charts.

I'd like to get the dexa scan done just for fun, but I don't know if I'd do anything differently. I would like to be able to tell if my lean mass increases over time.