Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Coconut oil in your coffee???

2»

Replies

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Bulletproof coffee sounds cool to say though
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    Its not magic....I would rather get my calories from food but to each their own..
    1. Alan Aragon — Buttered (Bulletproof) Coffee

Alan AragonI’d have to say buttered coffee is the most overrated health food right now.

The current trend of dumping butter into your coffee (the “bulletproof” recipe calls for butter and MCT oil) is ridiculous for a couple of reasons. First off, the idea that it’s a fat-burning drink is completely false. If anything, it’s a fat-gaining drink.

Secondly, butter is not a magic food. If anything, it’s a food that needs to be carefully moderated since it can adversely affect blood lipid profile by increasing apolipoprotein B (apo B) levels, which has the potential to raise the risk for cardiovascular disease. In addition to raising apo B levels, adding supplemental MCT oil to coffee has the potential to raise fasting blood glucose and triglyceride levels. Both of these effects are not conducive to good health.

One more little wrinkle here, cream contains a substantially higher content of milk fat globule membrane (MFGM) than butter due to the churning process involved with butter production. Recent research has linked the higher MFGM content of cream to its more favorable effect on blood lipid profile than that of butter. So yeah, stick with cream if you’re going to dress up your coffee, and don’t buy into the imaginative BS claims made by crazy opportunists and marketers.

No no no. The magic is the travel mug, and not the coffee. ;)

How does Aragon figure that adding fat to coffee will raise blood glucose? That would be carbs doing that, wouldn't it? Same for lipid panels. Triglycerides, HDL and such are more closely linked to carb consumption.... Or so I have read.

Probably pulling from this? http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/4/564.full

Huh. Most people report quite a drop in triglycerides when they go LCHF (those people being the ones who would drink BPC) as well as increased HDL and stable LDL. Perhaps the benefit of lowering carbs was enough to mask the slight rise due to MCT's?

So, the take away is that there is a slight increase in some parts of the lipid panel when MCT is added to a normal diet.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Its not magic....I would rather get my calories from food but to each their own..

Alan AragonI’d have to say buttered coffee is the most overrated health food right now.

The current trend of dumping butter into your coffee (the “bulletproof” recipe calls for butter and MCT oil) is ridiculous for a couple of reasons. First off, the idea that it’s a fat-burning drink is completely false. If anything, it’s a fat-gaining drink.

Secondly, butter is not a magic food. If anything, it’s a food that needs to be carefully moderated since it can adversely affect blood lipid profile by increasing apolipoprotein B (apo B) levels, which has the potential to raise the risk for cardiovascular disease. In addition to raising apo B levels, adding supplemental MCT oil to coffee has the potential to raise fasting blood glucose and triglyceride levels. Both of these effects are not conducive to good health.

One more little wrinkle here, cream contains a substantially higher content of milk fat globule membrane (MFGM) than butter due to the churning process involved with butter production. Recent research has linked the higher MFGM content of cream to its more favorable effect on blood lipid profile than that of butter. So yeah, stick with cream if you’re going to dress up your coffee, and don’t buy into the imaginative BS claims made by crazy opportunists and marketers.

How does Aragon figure that adding fat to coffee will raise blood glucose? That would be carbs doing that, wouldn't it? Same for lipid panels. Triglycerides, HDL and such are more closely linked to carb consumption.... Or so I have read.

Huh. Most people report quite a drop in triglycerides when they go LCHF (those people being the ones who would drink BPC) as well as increased HDL and stable LDL. Perhaps the benefit of lowering carbs was enough to mask the slight rise due to MCT's?

So, the take away is that there is a slight increase in some parts of the lipid panel when MCT is added to a normal diet.

I'm with you. I think he was trying to drive the point that other types of fat in coffee may be better in general, like good old cream, comparing fat to fat. No reason to eliminate MCT's if they aren't being consumed often, like in my case, but no reason to seek them either, unless you're after the coconut taste.

If you are looking for more fat, heavy cream has plenty.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

I'm with you. I think he was trying to drive the point that other types of fat in coffee may be better in general, like good old cream, comparing fat to fat. No reason to eliminate MCT's if they aren't being consumed often, like in my case, but no reason to seek them either, unless you're after the coconut taste.

If you are looking for more fat, heavy cream has plenty.

I have had some benefits with MCTs and cognitive function. A benefit I wasn't expecting when I started a ketogenic diet. Now that I have experienced it, I won't walk away from it. :)

And there is that coconut taste. :)

A risk of raised triglycerides is worth it for me, and even works in my favor as my triglycerides were a bit low to begin with. ;)
  • brenda_men
    brenda_men Posts: 13 Member
    Coconut oil is good because I helps with gut health. Its kills yeast overgrowth and the very often, suffered by many people with reflux, H. Pylori. I actually like it in my coffee but i wont use it every day, I'd rather cook with coconut oil.Its just not a trend there are actually many health benefits.
  • LeslieMartina
    LeslieMartina Posts: 158 Member
    While I can't get with the oil in my coffee, coconut oil is magical.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    My opinion - achieved over 45 years of coffee drinking - is that it is a beverage best served hot and with a tablespoon or two of heavy cream or half and half.
    Coconut oil is trendy right now, but I don't want it in my coffee, tyvm.