Fat goals

Options
It seems weird and indeed misleading that myfitnesspal has daily fat goals. I reinforced the mythology that low fat diets help weight loss. There's overwhelming evidence that isn't true and that healthy fats are vital to a good diet and that you'll lose weight better with healthy fats in your diet.

Shouldn't someone change the stats and warnings in myfitnesspal to reflect this?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    There are goals for everything and you can adjust them to better reflect your desired macro balance. If you want to eat higher fat, set your macros for that.

You can't eat unlimited fat (or unlimited anything) and still lose weight because of calories.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to see a fat goal, remove it or change it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't know what warnings you get, but I'm sure you can turn them off. It would be nice, but MFP doesn't yet have the functionality to operate with maximum and minimum goals - every nutrient and even the "main" goal, total calories, turn to RED and any exceeding numbers will be in the negative. Users just have to get used to it, and it shouldn't be a problem when you understand why it is the way it is. Lots of people set their own limits, and regard fiber, protein and fat as minimums, and calories and carbs and sodium as maximums, but if you want to gain weight, you'll want the calories and maybe carbs numbers to be red, or maybe you have IBS (or whatever) and need to keep fiber intake low. The interface has to cater for a lot of different needs, and I personally think it's great that it doesn't "tell you" how and what to eat. The only big NO is eating below 1200/1500 calories; that disables the "complete entry" function and gives you a warning about undereating.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Replace fat with something else like sodium or saturated fat.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    So set your fat goal to what you like? Do no understand the problem.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Look at the fat goal as a minimum. IOW red is a good thing!

ETA - so long as your calories don't turn red very often, that is.

ETA part 2 - you can also adjust your macro percentages so your fat goal is higher, if you like green better than red.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I don't get any "warnings" from MFP (except in the forums sometimes).

What are we talking about here?
  • timrpm
    timrpm Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Actually didn't know you could set your own levels- thought that was 'pro' option only.

Default fat goal is low I think, I just felt there waa a risk that reinforced the low fat food myth about dieting.