Help with a sunburn

Options
I went swimming yesterday and did at least 8 laps in pool then laid out in sun for 5 minutes to dry off and well i got sunburned.Does anyone have an idea what i can put on it that will help with the pain?I tried ice packs,Aloe Vera Gel and nothing is helping.I can't exercise with this pain today and i want to lose the weight,What do i do?

Replies

• lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Some of my friends back in Australia swear by sliced tomatoes... not kidding! I've never tried it though.
  • MCDerin
    MCDerin Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    As odd and gross as it sounds, vinegar helps cool it down a lot.
    I actually just posted an article about this on my FB fanpage a few weeks agao...here are some other ideas.
    Just keep it moisturized!!!!
    http://tipnut.com/sunburn-relief-home-remedies-over-50-soothing-treatments/
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I was about to suggest aloe but since you've already tried that...if it's possible try a lotion that is infused with calendula (I make my own and I'm not sure if you'll be able to find one comercialy made). Vitamin E oil may also help heal your burn but it will not take away the pain. Take an aspirin for the pain.
    Next time make sure you use a high level spf. Use it every day even if you think you're going to be fine. I try to use a 55 or higher every day....better safe than sorry.
  • traceysturn
    traceysturn Posts: 196
    Options
    Soak a towel in vinagar & cool water. Ring it out & lay it on the sunburn. It works - I swear!
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    I have also soaked a towel or washrag in vinegar and just laid it on my burn. It really does help even though I can't tell you the science of why. It also feels refreshing on your skin. Best of luck. I can really empathize.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if the chlorine from the pool (if it's chlorinated) will irritate the burn, but it seems to me that swimming would be a decent way to workout with less pain than something like running. My standby is tons of aloe gel (some brands come with menthol added to the gel which helps keep the burned area feeling cool).
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Soak a towel in vinagar & cool water. Ring it out & lay it on the sunburn. It works - I swear!

This works the best, I have super fair skin and have used this many times!!!! Good luck!!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    a cotton ball soaked in vanilla will help soothe a burn too. plus it smells yummy.
  • pinksharkattack
    Options
    Take advil! And I would try some of the topical options other people have suggested too. I am crazy pale and when I get sunburned I take advil and continuously apply lotion with aloe in it.
  • Glitter_pumpkin
    Options
    I had the same problem, my mom told me to put yogurt on all the pink spots and leave it on for a 20 minutes to a half hour then rise it off with cold water and take a long green tea bath. It really helped a lot and made the sun burn go away faster. Good luck.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I have heard black tea on the burn helps.
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    It's a burn (just like fire or hot oil etc), so you simply have to keep it moist, cool and allow it to heal. Try wetting a towel and leaving the towel on the burn(s) for extended periods of time. Ice packs (wrapped in towel) will help and the aloe vera is also a good idea. Whatever you do though, don't rub oil based moisturizer into it.... that could fuel the burn (the oils/fats).

If you can handle the pain, I always like to stand under a cold shower for a period of time. It will hurt/sting like crazy to begin with, but after a while, it will go numb and feel better (just like when you burn your finger on stove).
    I'm originally from NZ where we'd routenely get burnt to a crisp when younger (haven't heard about tomatoes ..... but they are australians afterall). You just have to be more carefull before hand. Sunscreen .. sure ...that works well. But hat and T-shirt/coverups absolutely. Around the water the sun burn/glare will be magnified.

When/if it blisters, try not to break/pop them. Let them heal and apply typical remedies to them. It's going to suck but you have to sleep in the bed you made.
    When it peels, resist the temptation to peel the skin off. What usually happens is you peel some skin off, and think that was cool, let me try some more. Then you end up peeling off a piece that was still attached. It can hurt and take longer to heal ... as well as make your skin colour patchy.

If it's really really bad. See a doctor.
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    Oh yea, the most important thing. Stay ultra hydrated. Get even more water down you that what you may already be taking. If you think water intake during exercise and dieting is excessive ... that's nothing compared to the water your body will need when a large portion of your body is burnt/lacking moisture.
  • DJDUFFY
    DJDUFFY Posts: 98
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the Ideas.I will try the vinegar and see if that works.I am drinking alot of water.All i got was 2 hours sleep due to this pain so i hope the vinegar helps.Thanks everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • DebiLou1954
    Options
    I use Witch Hazel for any burns or bites - Works great!!
  • fxdl2k2
    fxdl2k2 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Advil is great for the inflammation and pain. Topically, aloe is the best. Look for a gel with a high concentration of aloe. Avoid heavy lotions. Good news, it only lasts for a couple of days. I always use SPF of 50+.

Feel better!
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    First, the aloe vera is the best way to go. It is NOT going to make the pain go away. Sounds like you are pretty badly burned. Take it easy, sunburns can be very serious. Don't exercise untill you can do it comfortably. Clothes, sweat, more sun, they will only irritate it more. You may not see the visible damage for 15-25 years. But you will have damage. You know how people think wrinkles are a part of aging? 90% are actually caused by sun damage and have nothing to do with aging.

Try soaking in a cool bath of oatmeal. Not the oatmeal in your kitchen, lol. Try Aveeno oatmeal bath. Follow that up by slathering aloe vera all over.

Don't use just any lotion either. Check the ingredients. Anything containing SD alcohol will not only irritate the heck out of your sore skin, but it is extremely drying. It totally defeats the purpose of moisturising. Use a natural oatmeal based lotion. Oatmeal is a miracle for the skin.

Try an ibuprofen for pain. It is anti-inflammatory. It will keep the inflammation down while easing the pain.

In the future remember this. Even if its not a sunny day, even if you have dark skin, even if it is the dead of winter... UVA and UVB rays still penetrate and cause damage. Especially on cloudy days, they become "trapped" in a sense. Its not just the sun you need to worry about. We all, regardless of skin color, need to use Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen every time we are outside. No matter if its cloudy, rainy, or winter. Sun damage, like I said earlier, is not always visible right away. But it is going to be. Whether its wrinkles, freckles, or "liverspots" when we are old.... its all from the sun.

So, my advice to you:
    Rest and stay hydrated
    Take ibuprofren for pain
    Take oatmeal baths
    Use the heck out of some aloe vera
    Avoid SD alcohols and opt for natural oatmeal lotions.
    Use a Broad Spectrum UVA AND UVB Sunscreen. (Slather it on! Most people don't use nearly the amount that is needed to achieve the SPF that the sunscreen actually contains)
  • KS1980
    KS1980 Posts: 40
    Options
    My wife had a bad sun burn from her trip to Jamaica and it was so bad her feet swelled up to the point she couldn't fit them in her flip fops. So I picked up some aloe and Solarcaine sunburn spray. Solarcaine looks very generic,but she said it was best thing ever. So that might be worth trying if you havent yet.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Keep using the aloe vera. 2-3 times a day, it WILL help.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    You can also get a spray bottle and fill it with witch hazel and a few drops of lavender essential oil. Keep it handy and give your skin a spray every so often to keep it hydrated and cool. That will also help with the pain.