Calories burned running

Options
pondee629
pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
Is it better to log running calories as the run, one hour and 57 minutes at an 11:30 pace, or just count the run as "steps" taken? Or does it really make no difference? Thanks. The question relates to CICO only.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I find MFP's estimates pretty accurate, or weight x 0.63 x distance is pretty good too.
  • pondee629
    Options
    I find MFP's estimates pretty accurate, or weight x 0.63 x distance is pretty good too.

Weight and distance in what units? Miles and pounds or KM and Kg?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Pounds and miles
  • pondee629
    Options
    So speed makes no difference? A mile walking, 15 minute mile, is a mile running, 9 minute mile? 10 miles walking is the same burn as 10 miles @ 9 minute miles?

If so, then just count the steps and be done, no?
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Speed makes a difference. The faster you move, the more energy/calories your body expends. When I walk a mile in about 16-17 min, my GPS watch has me usually burning anywhere from 105-110 calories. When I jog that same mile in about 9 min, my GPS watch has me burning roughly 140-150.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    So speed makes no difference? A mile walking, 15 minute mile, is a mile running, 9 minute mile? 10 miles walking is the same burn as 10 miles @ 9 minute miles?

The calculation for walking is x0.3 not x0.63 I think
  • pondee629
    Options

Ok thanks. At what pace does walking turn into running using the above formulae?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,405 Member
    Options

Not much of a difference, but walking vs running makes a bit difference. When you run both your feet leave the ground at the same time, which costs more energy. Plus you use more muscles. Walking is about 0.3xdistancexweight
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,405 Member
    Options

Ok thanks. At what pace does walking turn into running using the above formulae?

Not the speed but the kind of movement: if both feet leave the ground and there's a floating phase it's running, if not it's walking. There might be something inbetween for very brisk speed walking (olympic discipline, not just walking briskly) and maybe even nordic walking but generally it's the floating phase.