Cardio with broken toe?

Options
So, I went on vacation and gained 8 lbs. I fell off the sugar wagon and ate too many desserts because the sweets were displayed like an open bar, and sugar is my drug of choice. When I got home I stubbed my pinky toe on the suitcase. It's broken badly and even though I had begun insanity that morning, I can't even slow walk on the treadmill. My calf is cramping in compensation (blood clot ruled out). I may need surgery, pending follow up vist to podiatrist.

I will be doing heavy lifting for upper body and abs, as well as isolation exercises for legs like curls, but I feel like I need to move. I went down to 1200 to 1300 cal/d clean at 35/35/30 range but I hate eating at that low level.

Please help with ideas to get my HR up to at least the fat burning range! I have a home gym, and treadmill is my only cardio equipment. Because of the calf pain, bicycling is out.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• thewildair
    thewildair Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There are lots of upper body cardio exercises. Google will probably have a million suggestions, but off the top of my head: rowing, boxing/punching, kettle bell swings, windmills, dancing with just your upper body... there's lots of things you can do.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Swimming?
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Cardio doesn't have to be running, you could just lift weights with little to no rest in between. Since you have the home gym I would do this. You have the best of both worlds strength and cardio. Try some circuit training by moving from one exercise to the next with 10-15 seconds rest in between each set. As long as you're realistic with the amount of weight you'll get a great workout with plenty of cardio.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    As @TavistockToad said, swimming front crawl with a pull buoy between your legs will isolate your lower body so the calf & toe are protected but enable you to achieve a cardio workout to maintain or gain fitness. If you don't swim or don't swim crawl, what a great reason to learn - it won't take long to build your confidence, technique & stamina.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    When I broke my foot I did kettlebell swings and battle ropes for cardio.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    If the calf pain is just compensating do try some gentle biking on a stationary bike or use a wind trainer. Increase temp as needed .
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I'd look for some professional advice here. It might be that you need to drop a fair bit of cardio for a while and focus on strength and upper body activities. That's probably not what you want to hear, but you have to give your injury time to heal.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I broke my toe a couple of months ago. I still continued to walk, my exercise of choice. I just made sure and wore roomy shoes or flip flops, as I couldn't wear my usual trainers as it was way too painful.