Cookies Cookies Cookies....

Options
I am making pumpkin chocolate chip cookies this afternoon for my kids. Well, it's very hard not to lick the bowl or have one when they're done, you know, just to make sure they're safe for the kids to eat...but I played with the recipe a bit to get rid of some of the calories. Instead of adding cooking oil, I added homemade applesauce. I've done this before, and it's all good. I end up leaving 900 calories on the table. While I can't indulge in as many cookies as I'd like, I feel less like a loser if I only eat one or two.

What do you do with regular recipes to make them more friendly to the dieting person?

Replies

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Same recipe, smaller cookies. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I don't change the recipe anymore.

Seriously, you save what... 20 calories per cookie? So it's 80 calories instead of 100? I'd much rather spend 100 calories on a delicious cookie than 80 calorie on a subpar one.
  • sapphirewind
    sapphirewind Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't cook as I normally would...my husband or whoever will eat what I'm eating. However, my grandma is 99 lbs.... She's recently list too much weight. It's been hard here with her trying to get her eating more and myself less. I made her dark chocolate, peanut butter, almond butter, coconut and honey cookies which artooth calories because she has a sweet tooth. They are very filling but use coconut oil so I can probably have some as I used to make chocolates this way for my diet. Will see...
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I don't change the recipe anymore.

Seriously, you save what... 20 calories per cookie? So it's 80 calories instead of 100? I'd much rather spend 100 calories on a delicious cookie than 80 calorie on a subpar one.

Basically this. The first time I baked on a diet would horrify you. At least, it horrifies me! I used "I can't believe it's not butter" and downgraded to the LITE version. I reduced the ratio of butter to flour. I added an amount of chocolate chips so sad that it would make you cry...

... And then I wondered why the cookies didn't taste very good. :D
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I don't eat cookies very often (maybe a few times a year). So on the rare occasion I make them I make them as decadent as possible - real butter, real sugar, real eggs, whole milk (if applicable), good quality chocolate/cinnamon/vanilla, etc. Then I have two and savor the hell out of them, and let the hubby and kiddos have the rest of the batch :)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I just made a whole batch of fresh snickerdoodles. They're 172 calories of real butter, sugar, cinnamon, real eggs, and pure deliciousness. I'm eating just one today, and it's totally worth every calorie!
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Depending on what I'm making, no changes. My homemade cupcakes though... I drop the sugar a good bit (it honestly calls for too much to start with) and add some almond extract. By the time they're done, the almond extract makes them taste sweet enough (and complex enough) not to need icing.

Other recipes (less baking, still desert) like my granny's pink fluff I swap almost everything and you can't even tell. Or 4 layer chocolate desert. You can use low fat cream cheese, sugar free pudding (but don't use less than 2% milk or it won't set up right) and low fat cool whip.

There are lots of substitutions you can make that don't effect taste overmuch, you just have to find the recipes you can get away with it on.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Make a batch of cookies and form into potion sized balls and freeze what you are not going to eat right away. Take out only what you want to eat and cook them. There is nothing wrong with eating one or two cookies.

Feeling like a loser is a matter of your own self image and has nothing to do with anything else. You have the power to change that.