Pickles!

Options
Pickles are a great diet food, especially sour dill pickles. They're kinda fun to eat, but admit it, they're also kinda nasty and take away your desire to eat any other food for a while. And they're, what? Five calories each? What a bargain! Pickles, minty gum, Fisherman's Friend. To stop mindless eating, find things that take your desire for other food right out of your mouth. Free advice!

Replies

• DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    You have to remember though, they can be high in sodium which will we all know can cause water retention
  • arijo377
    arijo377 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Mint gum is my favorite for stopping cravings!
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Eating a food like pickles or anything else for that matter, doesn't take my desire to eat food away. If I'm hungry I'll eat something nice that I want to eat, that fits into my calorie allowance for the day. If I'm craving something bad or tempted to binge I'll do something else to take my mind off it, not eat food, that kind of defeats the object.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    One whole Claussen's kosher dill pickle has 991 grams of sodium. That is two-thirds of the recommended 1500 grams of sodium daily for people with high blood pressure and people over 50 years of age. I personally limit the amount of pickles I eat as there is plenty of sodium in other foods, even milk, that take me easily over my 1500 sodium limit per day.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I love pickles - but that sodium is crazy high!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    I make my own quick pickles out of almost everything but cucumber. Hehe. Fridge currently has pickled onions, daikon, and carrots. In the past. it has had pickled mushrooms, garlic, cauliflower, asparagus and even pickled watermelon rinds. They make awesome low calorie snacks.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    One whole Claussen's kosher dill pickle has 991 grams of sodium. That is two-thirds of the recommended 1500 grams of sodium daily for people with high blood pressure and people over 50 years of age. I personally limit the amount of pickles I eat as there is plenty of sodium in other foods, even milk, that take me easily over my 1500 sodium limit per day.

Sorry, I meant milligrams, not grams. Arggghhh. Still too much.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I found that having 100 g of jicama made me not want to eat anything else for several hours. My passion is a dern hot pickul and I have a few grams of habanero heaven with my breakfast and let the rest of the day serve to wash away the sodium.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I love pickles, especially kosher dill, but unfortunately I don't really eat them much anymore because of the sodium. I love pickle juice even more than the pickles themselves. I could drink an entire jar of it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I could eat a jar of pickles. I don't care about the sodium. As long as I'm active it's all good.
  • numbnumbnumb
    numbnumbnumb Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    sodium is the least of my concerns - bring on the pickles! and olives....
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i love pickles. eat them every day. But i can totally follow a pickle with a sweet food. Or alternate bites of pickle with anything else. The taste does not take away my desire to eat something else.