cherry dangerous?

Options
You guys I made cherry smoothie yesterday and today and swallowed some of the crushed seeds.... am I going to die? Apparently they are dangerous. Any of you guys swallowed crushed cherry seeds before?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine, don't worry. It was a one time thing, not a continuous supply of cherry pips for weeks months or years.
    I've swallowed hundreds of cherry pips in my life time, It hasn't killed me yet..
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I don't think I have or if I did I don't recall. Apple seeds have arsenic in them but eating a couple of those over time wouldn't be fatal either.

Wow a Cherry Smoothie sounds YUM, what'd you put in yours @Desert_flower3

ha ha Now I'm getting a craving for a Cherry Slushie :laughing: :laughing: I better grab my water bottlesmiley-drinking-water.gif
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You'll be fine, don't worry. It was a one time thing, not a continuous supply of cherry pips for weeks months or years.
    I've swallowed hundreds of cherry pips in my life time, It hasn't killed me yet..

Whole cherry pits are safe. Crushed cherry pits can be dangerous. "Cherry pits contain a chemical called amygdalin which breaks down into cyanide in the human body. The toxic chemicals are not released if the pit remains intact and therefore poisoning usually only occurs if the pits are crushed and eaten."

That being said, I couldn't begin to tell you how many it would take to be dangerous. If you're concerned you could always contact a doctor.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Whole cherry pits are safe. Crushed cherry pits can be dangerous. "Cherry pits contain a chemical called amygdalin which breaks down into cyanide in the human body. The toxic chemicals are not released if the pit remains intact and therefore poisoning usually only occurs if the pits are crushed and eaten."

That being said, I couldn't begin to tell you how many it would take to be dangerous. If you're concerned you could always contact a doctor.

Ah ok thanks. But somehow i still don't think op is in any danger from a one off consumption.

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

Ah ok thanks. But somehow i still don't think op is in any danger from a one off consumption.

I didn't say they were in danger. I said it could be dangerous. I don't know how many it takes and I don't know how many they ingested which is why I suggested they contact a doctor if they were concerned. I didn't say, "You're gonna die, call an ambulance."
  • Christine_72
    Options

I didn't say they were in danger. I said it could be dangerous. I don't know how many it takes and I don't know how many they ingested which is why I suggested they contact a doctor if they were concerned. I didn't say, "You're gonna die, call an ambulance."

I know, and i agree :smile: I was just reiterating my first post, all good :smile:

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Asks in a forum instead of looking it up...or seeing a doctor. Myself if I am worried I would not ask strangers online where anyone can tell you a lie.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical help line, or a poison control centre that you can call. I would expect that to be a more accurate place to get information.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    @Desert_flower3 you still alive?
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Why did you put the cherries in without pitting them first?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Like most pips that contain cyanide (plu, apricot etc) you probably need an awful lot to suffer ill effects.

I believe cyanide as a poison is pretty swift (too much Agatha Christie) so you'd already be dead if you were going to be.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    And yet, nothing from the OP. Hmm.

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    And yet, nothing from the OP. Hmm.

Possibly died!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    Why did you put the cherries in without pitting them first?

That was my question. I couldn't imagine that would taste good. Food should be prepped before using - peel and pit when necessary before throwing in the blender.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    If they were frozen cherries there could have been a missed pit. I buy bags of frozen pitted cherries but have had the occasional pit in one.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Like most pips that contain cyanide (plu, apricot etc) you probably need an awful lot to suffer ill effects.

I believe cyanide as a poison is pretty swift (too much Agatha Christie) so you'd already be dead if you were going to be.

I was thinking the same thing. If OP had the smoothie the day before posting the question, all is probably ok. Then again, I don't know how long it takes for the substance to be converted to cyanide.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    "Symptoms of mild poisoning include headache, dizziness, confusion, anxiety, and vomiting. Larger doses can lead to difficulty breathing, increased blood pressure and heart rate, and kidney failure. Reactions can include coma, convulsions, and death from respiratory arrest. There are several treatment options, but the main thing is to limit the absorption of the chemicals from the seeds. Basically, this means it’s important to seek immediate medical attention if a child or pet is known to have eaten several seeds. " from http://sciencenotes.org/yes-apple-seeds-and-cherry-pits-contain-cyanide/

If you had it yesterday and have not experienced any symptoms then you will likely be fine. You should seek medical treatment if you have been feeling ill.

http://ipcblog.org/2010/05/25/my-favorite-poisonous-fruit/
    You have to eat much more than 1 or 2 seeds to get sick or die.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Great. Another reason why people are going to think eating too much fruit is bad for you...