Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

60 days only potatoes

13»

Replies

• dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Just eat food, goddammit.

Yep.

Rotflmao
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    There were generations of poor working class Victorians who only ate potatoes out of necessity. They were very thin but not particularly strong or healthy. I think it's a privilege to have access to a range of vegetables and other foods- and it's a shame to take that for granted.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I'm sorry, OP. This thread is just begging for it:

044509266f9146483305a8c9fe82a58ba23360a4ce1f219d2a0b6807ac889aa3.jpg
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    GhostX1994 wrote: »
    Iv heard and read how people have done 60 days of just eating boiled potatoes without things added and have lost nearly 10kg in 2 months without help from exercise. Has anyone done this? Want opinions on how it worked and if it's a good diet to go on to help lose weight to tone up quick with exercise

sounds like a recipe for DISASTER. there is NO way that can be healthy in any way, shape, or form. if you want to do that, it's your choice. but (even though i am not a nutrition expert), once you start eating other normal foods, you will gain weight back and FAST!
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Just eat food, goddammit.

FAST weight loss isn't PERMANENT weight loss. you didn't gain the weight overnight, and so if you lose it overnight............it WILL come back. just make sure that your calories out (exercising and activity) equal about 3500 calories a week and you will lose 1 lb/week. that's safe.
    any eating plan that restricts to one food or food group isn't healthy and the weight loss isn't permanent.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited June 2016
    Eat foods you like and stay in a calorie deficit. There are no magic foods. Get a food scale and log everything. Once you get a routine going it gets pretty easy.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,958 Member
    edited June 2016
    kys for promulgating such an asinine idea.
    Yes, you'll lose loads of weight if you suddenly decide to get all your calories from one source.
    Had a friend lose over 20lbs in less than two weeks on an idiot fruit diet, which although awful would still be better than eating just potatoes being as there is a wealth of different nutrients to get if you at least eat many sorts of fruit.

But please, do this, start a youtube channel, and post results.

Actually, potatoes have a lot of nutrients - This idea people have that they're empty calories boggles my mind.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=48

That being said, I wouldn't recommend eating only potatoes. I don't think you'd lose weight, I think you'd be hungry and eat too much and gain weight. Trying might make you binge on other foods, even if they're against your "plan". There still isn't any protein in them.

OP - I recommend checking out the Choose My Plate app to learn about food groups and approximately what to aim for. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/

Use that in conjunction with MFP to calculate how much to eat. The plate gives you approximate ratios, and MFP will help make sure you're eating at a deficit so you can lose weight.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    kys for promulgating such an asinine idea.
    Yes, you'll lose loads of weight if you suddenly decide to get all your calories from one source.
    Had a friend lose over 20lbs in less than two weeks on an idiot fruit diet, which although awful would still be better than eating just potatoes being as there is a wealth of different nutrients to get if you at least eat many sorts of fruit.

But please, do this, start a youtube channel, and post results.

Actually, potatoes have a lot of nutrients - This idea people have that they're empty calories boggles my mind.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=48

That being said, I wouldn't recommend eating only potatoes. I don't think you'd lose weight, I think you'd be hungry and eat too much and gain weight. Trying might make you binge on other foods, even if they're against your "plan". There still isn't any protein in them.

Potatoes do have *some* protein, although it's still a remarkably bad idea to eat just potatoes. An average potato has about four grams of protein.
  • Kristinapedia
    Kristinapedia Posts: 73 Member
    Just cutting my calories to 1200 and walking to and from work. (8 miles/week) I lost 1 pound in 3 days. No potatoes needed!! I had 7 oz of fish last night!
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Matt Damon's character lost a lot of weight by just eating potatoes in the movie "The Martian". The character did that just to survive. Just sayin'...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    GhostX1994 wrote: »
    Well whats the best food to eat and how much and often should i to help tone and gain muslce? Bland and boring foods dont really bother me, i plan to exercise aswell and try at least 5 times a week. Im just trying to find a quick way to lose the fat as its mainly my stomach and top of legs, but i want to put on alot of muslce aswell, i know cant have both so rather muslce and tone

Eating specific foods don't help you build muscle.

When people are trying to lose weight....eating enough protein, strength training, and a moderate deficit helps you RETAIN lean muscle. You lose the fat covering existing muscle.....this makes you look toned.

Eat a balanced diet. Include protein, fats, and fiber. Eat foods you like, but measure & log them. This teaches portion control that will be important for keeping the weight off.
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Yeah man, sorry for the tough love, but this idea is awful.

First, eating only food specific food for 60 days has a high, high possibility to lead you into some nasty cycles of eating disorders.

Second, yes you will lose weight...i.e. muscle mass because of a lack of protein, thus slowly down your metabolism, and a whole host of other crappy side effects that you don't want.

Third, focus on fat loss not weight loss. Anyone can lose "weight" stop drinking water and eating. This is quick and easy because, they can see the number go from 190 to 176 pretty dang quick. However, this success is short term and they almost always regain all the fat and then some due to metabolic adaptions, etc.

The road to success is slow, steady, and not sexy. Thus, its tough for companies/people to market.

Sorry man, stick with the proven road, not some bulls*** that some fitness guru is pumping out.
  • rosey35
    rosey35 Posts: 150 Member
    As someone with a dairy allergy my first though was why would you want to eat only one food when you have a choice to have what you want.

The reason their are some many diet plans out their i.e weigh watchers is because people aren't taught portion control, healthy eating the quicker the weight goes on the quicker you regain it.

Have a variety of food, workout wether you choose to do weight trading and or cardio and eat what mfp gives you or a tdee calculator this isn't a race, take your time.

People will say anything to make a quick buck out of people they think are easily led.

Find a dietician not a nutritionist they will be able to steer you in the right direction

Read the stickies on the forum, listen to the advice you have been given from people who have lost weight on this forum, their are some amazing people on here be aware of people wanting to help you on here but only through messaging they will see this post and will try to friend you while selling you a workout video while laughing all the way to the bank.

Check out fitness blender on YouTube their information is solid and the workout are great I think the guy's got a degree or masters or something to do with excerciae.

On some level you know the potato thing is wrong why else would you come on here.

Read about the dangers of weight loss too quickly, gallstones etc

• nikkijune18
    nikkijune18 Posts: 6 Member
    Oh no... That sounds like a horrible idea. Your body wouldn't get the nutrients it needs