New today but dubious

Options
2»

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    It's never too late, as long as you decide to make small, sustainable changes and commit to consistency.

It's better to be working on improving your health (including getting to a healthy weight) at any age than just ignoring it. You can do this!
    Hi, yes , I'm going to get used to logging my food and drink on here and then going to start with walking. To be honest I'm so unfit will probably be just a very short walk at first because my hip causes me some pain, probably weigh related, doesn't help the arthritis does it? Oh if anyone is starting a 60's group let me know and definitely count me in. Must say though I would be delighted to get to know all age groups and help and encourage where I can. :)

Walking is a fabulous exercise! My grandma walked every morning for years, well into her 70s. If she went a winter without walking (it's cold and snowy and sometimes hard to find a good indoor place) she would feel more stiffness and soreness when she started up in the spring, but as she continued walking, she would always build up speed and endurance and feel less discomfort. Staying active is very good for arthritis!

I also agree with the poster who mentioned water walking. Just make sure to stay hydrated, being in the water can deceive us about how much we need to be drinking.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    What a great bunch of people here! I love the comments on this thread. Wish there was a 60's MFP group.

@Noel_57 - there's an over-50 one with over-60 people in it. Not a super active group, but nice folks.

OVER 50 GROUP
  • bebbingtoncatherine
    bebbingtoncatherine Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. Lots of good advice :)<3
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I could barely walk around the couch when I started. ;)

. . . . I second getting a fitbit. I just have the cheapie model - the Zip - but it does exactly what I need it to do. It logs my steps taken in a day and then automatically synchs up with MFP to add extra calories to my food page here that I can eat for my effort. . . .

snickerscharlie, if you don't mind my questions, I am extremely technology-challenged. I think I understand that a Fitbit is worn like a watch -- ?
    Does it require a Smart Phone? (I only have a stupid cell phone.)
    Where are Fitbits available for sale?

Thank you!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    I'm late to reply, but I'm another: Down 63 pounds (more or less, depending on the day) since April 2015 (though I was "only" 59 when I started ;) ). That's over 1/3 of my original bodyweight. I'm hypothyroid as well, but it's effectively controlled with meds. I'm at a weight I haven't seen since college. If you'd told me in early 2015 that I'd weigh this by mid-2016, without catastrophic illness in the picture (!), I would never have believed it.

So much healthier: Less (almost no) knee pain (torn meniscus, long-term thing), cholesterol/triglycerides solidly in the center of the normal range (formerly high, doc threatening statins), blood pressure normal (formerly prehypertensive), and just generally feeling great. For the last 3 months or so, I'm working on maintaining my new weight, and that's going well so far, too.

One of the great things about using MFP, eating the foods you enjoy (just less of them), is that you learn how to eat in a healthy way, which makes keeping the weight off much easier than when the loss comes from a way of eating you wouldn't want to continue for the rest of your life.

You can do this! (If you get discouraged at any point, go read posts in the "Success Stories" forum. It'll get you back in the groove again!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

. . . . I second getting a fitbit. I just have the cheapie model - the Zip - but it does exactly what I need it to do. It logs my steps taken in a day and then automatically synchs up with MFP to add extra calories to my food page here that I can eat for my effort. . . .

snickerscharlie, if you don't mind my questions, I am extremely technology-challenged. I think I understand that a Fitbit is worn like a watch -- ?

Thank you!

The one I have clips onto my pocket or my bra. You don't need a cellphone to use one. My fitbit synchs up with MFP through my PC.

Amazon sells them online, as do most sporting good and computer stores. I ordered my fitbit and my digital food scale from Amazon at the same time. :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Thank you!

I'm not in my 60s but I often lurk in these threads because this is what I aspire to doing and continue to be doing as long as possible: taking care of my health, so reading these threads inspires me. I usually don't hijack but I thought I could be helpful in this case.

I would highly suggest the cheapest model. It's more accurate because it's not affected by hand movements. It's a clip-on which you clip wherever you want (I had it on my bra back when I used it and often forgot it was even there).

You don't need a smartphone for it to work. It comes with a tiny thumb drive which you stick in your computer and forget about. You install a program on your computer for it, and when the computer is turned on it syncs your tracker periodically without you having to do anything. The package comes with instructions and a website address that will help you install the program.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    My mother is 72 and though not on MFP she has started her journey with the help of a medical dietist. She's lost 10-15kg already and so much the happier for it
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, snickerscharlie and amusedmonk! These posts are very helpful!!
  • grannychew
    grannychew Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Newbie to Forums. I just began my journey a week ago. I can lose it, but I always find it again. Big kudos to you all who have made the journey a lifetime and lifestyle change rather than a mere jaunt. I plan to learn to join you all this time!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I am 71 and losing weight.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm 69 years old and 65 pounds down, thanks in large part to this wonderful website. Conscientious weighing and logging of everything I eat has been key for me. Walking, I agree, is an excellent way to move more, and for those times when I can't leave the house, I enjoy Leslie Sansone's walking workout videos. These are inexpensive, widely available, and gentle for older bodies.
  • bebbingtoncatherine
    Options
    So pleased that I decided to join mfp and come onto the community. Such a lovely group of people think I'm going to enjoy it here. Have a good rest of your day.
  • VillageSmithy
    VillageSmithy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Please do not imagine age to be a barrier. It absolutely is not!

Everyone should find the course of action that suits their personality and circumstances. Some do best putting a toe in the water at first.

My own approach was to throw everything into my renaissance on Day 1, revising nutrition, exercise, and sleep. I gave up escalators and elevators and began parking in far corners. I bought a kitchen scale, a Nutri-bullet, and workout duds. I bought a Withings Body Analyzer bathroom scale and I hired a professional trainer. The results were fast and dramatic… and lasting. There was no push-back.

I dropped about 65 pounds during the first half of last year and have kept body fat around 10% since then.
    These days I run – well, mostly – five miles every morning. (My limit was 1/2 block when I started.)

I'm 69 years old.
  • LindaH44
    LindaH44 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am so inspired by this site. I'm older than everyone, I think -- 71 -- but I am determined to be healthy and energetic (and thin). I don't have a lot to lose - 10-15 pounds. I've only put it on recently and can't fit into last summer's pants, size 10s. I felt alone until I signed on here. Wow -- I am impressed with people's accomplishments! It seems like such a long journey ahead. I work at my computer several hours a day -- tips on getting enough exercise would be welcome. Thank you.
  • bebbingtoncatherine
    Options
    Hi villagesmithy thanks for the welcome and encouragement it's much appreciated. Yes, I have decided that this HAS to be my top priority for a while, not something that I am used to. I'm thinking if I'm fitter and happier, then it must filter down the line.

Higher lindah44 nice to " meet" you. Good luck on your weight loss journey