Is science failing me here??

Options
Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to the weight loss game. I've been logging for almost 3 weeks now on MFP and have been reading your forum posts religiously trying to get as much insight as I can into how to best go about losing the weight.

I'm 21 years old, 5'7 and 247 pounds. I've got quite a long way to go and so far I've been so optimistic that if I follow what MFP tells me, I should lose weight, because it's scientific, right? With that in mind, I've been logging every single thing that touched my lips, overestimate my calories, and underestimate my exercise - just to be certain I'm not going over. I eat 1400 calories a day and run between 1-3 miles on the elliptical about 4 times a week. I eat back most of my calories.

I've been trying to eat as healthily as I can. Me and my husband plan our meals at the beginning of the week and cook/pack the food for lunches and dinner so we have no excuses to go out to eat or be lazy when it comes to meals. We're both huge foodies (since we got married last year we've both put on a lot of weight - he's also a damn good cook!) but we've both decided to change our lifestyle to become more healthy together and lose the weight.

Sounds good right? Well since I've been logging I have weighed myself every morning and have only been fluctuating between a loss of 1-2 pounds total in three weeks. I have MFP set to lose 2 pounds a week. What's going on here? I know I shouldn't be discouraged since a two pound loss is still a loss, but it's really disheartening when I've got so far to go and am not making any further progress despite trying so hard.

I was under the impression that eating at a deficit guaranteed weight loss.. have I got my numbers wrong? I have seen some posts on here that say you need to eat more to lose more. I'm not really sure how that works. I don't feel deprived at 1400 calories a day, and I'm scared to go higher for fear of gaining. Is this just a case of wait it out and keep doing what I'm doing, or should I be doing something else? My husband thinks we're just gaining muscle from working out and that's why the scale won't budge. I'm not too sure.

Anyway, any insight or advice would be welcomed. Sorry for the long post. You guys are such inspirations.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You need to be patient.... You didn't put the weight on in 3 weeks, it won't all come off that soon! Keep at it, and you will start to lose.

Also, take pictures & measure, the scales aren't always right!
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You need to be patient.... You didn't put the weight on in 3 weeks, it won't all come off that soon! Keep at it, and you will start to lose.

Also, take pictures & measure, the scales aren't always right!

Yup, this. Took me almost 6 weeks to see the initial water weight start to come off. Don't give up, this is the key. Also drink lots of H2O.
  • atapley2
    atapley2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I remember hearing from a friend of a friend that even with diet and exercise it can take as much as a month for results to show. It proved true for my friend who ran for an hour atleast 4-5 times a week paired with a vegetarian diet lost almost nothing, until the next month. When school started back up again along with her second job she threw eating right and exercise to the wind but continued losing weight over the next month. She found she kept losing when by all rights she should have been maintaining or even gaining.

Biological processes take time and don't alter how they function overnight. The fat you have your body is storing for a time of need so if you are only decreasing your caloric intake for 3 weeks its mainly still going to go for the quick and easy sources before it begins to tap into the reserves.

I'm not an expert in biology, but I have taken a few courses as part of my chemistry degree. So I encourage you to go and research exactly where the body starts getting energy from if not from the food.

The best advice I can give is just keep it up! IF you lose to fast it all comes back anyway! Science isn't failing you it just isn't going at top speed.

Hope this is helpful and encouraging,
  • Lose4HealthNow
    Options
    Your husband is right, muscle weighs 4x more than fat. You are increasing muscle mass, that's going to affect the scales. What matters more than numbers, is how do you feel? How do your clothes fit? There's no doubt you've lost inches....
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    My husband thinks we're just gaining muscle from working out and that's why the scale won't budge. I'm not too sure.

Wrong... Not eating nearly enough for that.

Your 5'7 and 240+ right, so if your on the elliptical (looked at your exercise journal) for 30 minutes and your going all out on that thing to the point you cant talk each time.. its more than 200 calories.. its like 400 at your height/weight.. I would pick 1 number.. like 1800 and eat that everyday no matter what and see what happens after 2 months. No eating back exercise calories no nothing.. just that number, keep exercising and pushing yourself.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    muscle weighs 4x more than fat

Where did you pull this from? Not even close...
  • alt1268
    alt1268 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Your tdee is over 1800 at sedentary it will be more if you exercise. Please check out http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    to determine your tdee. Eating more is better and it does work.
  • kzakian
    kzakian Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Your husband is right, muscle weighs 4x more than fat. You are increasing muscle mass, that's going to affect the scales. What matters more than numbers, is how do you feel? How do your clothes fit? There's no doubt you've lost inches....

So far no change in the fit of my clothes, but actually I do feel wonderful! I'm quite a sedentary person and I've been diagnosed with depression for a while and havent felt like even leaving the house. Since working out I've felt so alive and so optimistic about changing my lifestyle - I can't wait to see some results!
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    My husband thinks we're just gaining muscle from working out and that's why the scale won't budge. I'm not too sure.

Your 5'7 and 240+ right, so if your on the elliptical (looked at your exercise journal) for 30 minutes and your going all out on that thing to the point you cant talk each time.. its more than 200 calories.. its like 400 at your height/weight.. I would pick 1 number.. like 1800 and eat that everyday no matter what and see what happens after 2 months. No eating back exercise calories no nothing.. just that number, keep exercising and pushing yourself.

^^^^ THIS!!! :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

yup. exactly.
  • kzakian
    Options

I've been getting the number of calories burned straight from the elliptical, but it doesn't take into account my height and weight. So I see your point. Then again I don't exercise every day, so wouldn't upping my calories only work on the days I work out? Will eating 1800 calories still make me lose weight on the days I do nothing?
  • trogalicious
    Options

I've been getting the number of calories burned straight from the elliptical, but it doesn't take into account my height and weight. So I see your point. Then again I don't exercise every day, so wouldn't upping my calories only work on the days I work out? Will eating 1800 calories still make me lose weight on the days I do nothing?

Straight from the elliptical doesn't necessarily mean that it's still accurate, either. According to all of the available information/calculators/etc, your body is effectively burning 1800 calories every 24 hours simply by existing.
    Yeah, liver function.. your heart beating.. biological functions burn calories to continue.

That said, eating 1800 calories is going to simply fuel your body enough to keep going. The days you work out, you're just going to be creating a slightly larger caloric deficit.
  • teenhamodic
    Options
    never rely on MFP and never rely on machines to tell you what you're burning. sorry but everything is inaccurate

to those who say that it takes time - correct. for those who say it takes a month to see a difference on the scale? - wrong

you need to calculate your TDEE and adjust accordingly - as long as the trend is on a downward slope, then you're on the right track.

"the scales aren't always right" - i have to disagree about this general one size fits all maxim.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to the weight loss game. I've been logging for almost 3 weeks now on MFP and have been reading your forum posts religiously trying to get as much insight as I can into how to best go about losing the weight.

I'm 21 years old, 5'7 and 247 pounds. I've got quite a long way to go and so far I've been so optimistic that if I follow what MFP tells me, I should lose weight, because it's scientific, right? With that in mind, I've been logging every single thing that touched my lips, overestimate my calories, and underestimate my exercise - just to be certain I'm not going over. I eat 1400 calories a day and run between 1-3 miles on the elliptical about 4 times a week. I eat back most of my calories.

I've been trying to eat as healthily as I can. Me and my husband plan our meals at the beginning of the week and cook/pack the food for lunches and dinner so we have no excuses to go out to eat or be lazy when it comes to meals. We're both huge foodies (since we got married last year we've both put on a lot of weight - he's also a damn good cook!) but we've both decided to change our lifestyle to become more healthy together and lose the weight.

Sounds good right? Well since I've been logging I have weighed myself every morning and have only been fluctuating between a loss of 1-2 pounds total in three weeks. I have MFP set to lose 2 pounds a week. What's going on here? I know I shouldn't be discouraged since a two pound loss is still a loss, but it's really disheartening when I've got so far to go and am not making any further progress despite trying so hard.

I was under the impression that eating at a deficit guaranteed weight loss.. have I got my numbers wrong? I have seen some posts on here that say you need to eat more to lose more. I'm not really sure how that works. I don't feel deprived at 1400 calories a day, and I'm scared to go higher for fear of gaining. Is this just a case of wait it out and keep doing what I'm doing, or should I be doing something else? My husband thinks we're just gaining muscle from working out and that's why the scale won't budge. I'm not too sure.

Anyway, any insight or advice would be welcomed. Sorry for the long post. You guys are such inspirations.

First and foremost, 1400 is way too low for you given your weight. Second, you will not notice a difference in look until you lost over 20lbs. I didn't notice a difference until after 10lbs except for my arms lol where the fat seemed to melt first.

Your calories are completely off. You are not eating enough to maintain your body. Your BMR is roughly 2056 so you shouldn't be eating 600 calories below that. I think you should start at 1800calories and workout 3-5 times a week doing not only cardio but weights. Try this because it sounds like you are simply destroying your metabolism by eating 1400 calories. Coma-ridden people eat more than you lol.

Seriously, though, go on www.iifym.com and check out the IIFYM calculator. This is what I used to give you your TDEE and BMR. Apply it and follow. Do not follow MFP. Use MFP only as a means to track calories and meet friends. THATS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Your husband is right, muscle weighs 4x more than fat. You are increasing muscle mass, that's going to affect the scales.
    Wrong on so many levels.
    You need to be patient.... You didn't put the weight on in 3 weeks, it won't all come off that soon!
    This is Right.

Arm yourself with patience.
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    As much as I love MFP, I've had to adjust my goals here. I'm about 200 lbs and 5'6". Being slighly active, I am given a goal of 1720. I would suggest eating closer to 25-30% protein for your day, rather then the 15% they give here. I've lost weight with weight watchers, but I lost a lot of muscle on the program. I've been down about that 1 lb a week, after the first week. I do eat my exercise calories back and haven't had an issue. But, I agree, you must be patient! Good luck and know that each work out and healthy food choice is a step in the right direction!!
  • kzakian
    Options
    Straight from the elliptical doesn't necessarily mean that it's still accurate, either. According to all of the available information/calculators/etc, your body is effectively burning 1800 calories every 24 hours simply by existing.
    Yeah, liver function.. your heart beating.. biological functions burn calories to continue.

That said, eating 1800 calories is going to simply fuel your body enough to keep going. The days you work out, you're just going to be creating a slightly larger caloric deficit.

If my body burns at least 1800 calories from doing nothing, and I'm eating 1400 calories a day, how is it possible I'm not losing? I'm not sure I understand the logic behind it..
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am no expert and only started the program 25 days ago myself. Yes I have lost 10 pounds but if I lose .5 in the next 3 I will be happy .With over 100 to go any is better than none. I am afraid to eat the calories I get from exercise ,but some people say they do no harm. If your are planning your meals, exercising I would say congrats,stick with it and you will see results . I have heard some interesting stories like yours and these people are now only pounds away from their goal. We never got there overnight !!! Keep positive.
  • trogalicious
    Options

If my body burns at least 1800 calories from doing nothing, and I'm eating 1400 calories a day, how is it possible I'm not losing? I'm not sure I understand the logic behind it..

You need to stoke the fires to keep it burning. If you've created too large of a caloric deficit, your body isn't happy with you. There's a lot of "this can't possibly be right" when it comes to weight loss and dieting. For a long, long time.. I thought that if I ate less, I'd weigh less. Turns out, you need to just feed your body properly.. find the sweet spot where you're losing or maintaining, then go from there.
  • kzakian
    Options
    You need to stoke the fires to keep it burning. If you've created too large of a caloric deficit, your body isn't happy with you. There's a lot of "this can't possibly be right" when it comes to weight loss and dieting. For a long, long time.. I thought that if I ate less, I'd weigh less. Turns out, you need to just feed your body properly.. find the sweet spot where you're losing or maintaining, then go from there.

I will certainly give it a try then. Thank you so much, you've been extremely helpful!!