Spine fracture

Options
Hi there
I'm kind of new in this and I've got to loose bout 60 pounds to keep my spine healthy cause I've got a fracture on it. (Spondilolysis s1 level) any advice? My doctor said i could work out almost normally but should avoid regular abs cause they put too much tension on the area.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Weight loss doesn't require any exercise - only a calorie deficit. If haven't read the sticky posts in the Diet and Getting Started forums, i suggest starting there.

For exercise, walk daily if you're not currently doing that. For strength training, there's a simple starter program on the Nerd Fitness website. Skip the jumping jacks there. If you get any pain on the squats or lunges, skip them and discuss it with your doctor or a physical therapist. :+1:
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Do exactly what he says. Stick with very low impact stuff like walking, swimming, hiking and gradually progress into other activities over the year(s).

I've had 2 spine fusion's (scoliosis) and have been a competitive distance runner since 08. You can still have a very active lifestyle. Just have to be smart about it.

PS spine issues suck!! :neutral: