Maintenance calories

So I've reached my goal weight but I've adjusted this app to maintain and its upped my calories to 1780 a day ! I think il gain on that I gained from having one day off the other day should I google it? I want to maintain without gaining my weight back any advice? Thanks

Replies

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Maintenance is HARD!!! Most people who come off a "diet" continue to lose even though they are eating more than their weight loss calories because they fear gaining - there is nothing wrong with adding some back slowly. For the most part, you should be able to safely eat 500 calories a day more than when you were losing just fine though.

Congrats and good luck! :)
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Slowly upping calories over weeks is the best way to find out.

A lot of people have a higher maintenance than they thought.

But up with a 150 or 100 and do this for a week than up again. etc etc till your weight loss completely stopped.
    Work with a weight range and an average weekly calorie allowance. Keep track on your data and you will find the aboutish maintaining level.

My TDEE maintaining was 1850 according to calculations.
    My own collected data said around 2000
    After months i can settle down with a number around the 2100-2300 calories on days i exercise. So trial and error will lern you what it is.
    Keep weighing yourself, dont flip out over fluctuations but dont let you weight creep up over days.
    Yes 5 lbs can happen after a "happy" day of indulging. But it should come down after days of normal eating again. When not..cut some calories off till your back in your range.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    You need to do some reading up on weight fluctuations....
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    What was your calorie goal set at when you were losing? Were you eating back exercise cals?

How much weight did you lose? Over what period of time? Was the loss steady?

A lot of people see an increase when they switch to maintenance if they increase cals too quickly from a large deficit. It is usually a temporary water weight gain from glycogen stores being replenished, the opposite of the "woosh" that many experience when they first cut calories.

Another important thing to recognize is that maintenance isn't a single number on the scale. Most people naturally fluctuate within a range, my range is about + or - 2 lbs from the number I set as my original maintenance goal. This is impacted by hormones, water weight, etc.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Think weeks and months not days!
    You will have a very unhappy time if you don't accept your weight fluctuates from day to day.

Google doesn't know the answer - if you have been logging a while you must have an idea based on your recent average weight loss.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    As someone who started maintenance and based on what I read with a lot of different posts maintenance is a learning process. The guidelines and left piece ends are based on a large population database and each one of us as an individual and our body reacts differently.

As far as weight fluctuations you have to set a realistic goal. Your body doesn't have a static weight it's going to fluctuate. I have access to scales at work and I weigh myself more Outta curiosityI. don't let the scale control me I control the scale. As part of this learning curve, I will weigh myself and my weight will vary sometimes 2 to 3 pounds in a day.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    As someone who started maintenance and based on what I read with a lot of different posts maintenance is a learning process. The guidelines and left piece ends are based on a large population database and each one of us as an individual and our body reacts differently.

As far as weight fluctuations you have to set a realistic goal. Your body doesn't have a static weight it's going to fluctuate. I have access to scales at work and I weigh myself more Outta curiosityI. don't let the scale control me I control the scale. As part of this learning curve, I will weigh myself and my weight will vary sometimes 2 to 3 pounds in a day.

I actually did that one day back when I started. It helped me to not focus on the scale so much. I weighed myself every 2 hours so I could see the fluctuations. I think the biggest difference was 8lbs. It really helped. I weigh daily and if there's days when my weight is higher, it's easier to understand why and not get freaked out. Which is especially helpful since I'm on a high sodium diet )Drs orders).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited June 2016
    Maintenance rocks *\o/*

Whats not to like about being able to enjoy 250-500 more calories a day! :smiley:

Sure you'll see a hike in the scales when you add those extra calories in one go, but its just temporary (glycogen stores are replenishing from the extra cals), give it time to get used to the extra cals and in a few weeks that'll settle down. Or you can up them in increments, add 100 cals at a time.

Well done on getting to goal, now you just have to keep focused on staying there :smile:
  • lauraemily84
    lauraemily84 Posts: 140 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What was your calorie goal set at when you were losing? Were you eating back exercise cals?

How much weight did you lose? Over what period of time? Was the loss steady?

A lot of people see an increase when they switch to maintenance if they increase cals too quickly from a large deficit. It is usually a temporary water weight gain from glycogen stores being replenished, the opposite of the "woosh" that many experience when they first cut calories.

Another important thing to recognize is that maintenance isn't a single number on the scale. Most people naturally fluctuate within a range, my range is about + or - 2 lbs from the number I set as my original maintenance goal. This is impacted by hormones, water weight, etc.

Thanks for all the replies :)

So I was 9st 7/8lb I'm now about 9st but flutating 9st1 -8st13

Ive lost this weight in just under two months on a cal goal of 1380 a day.

I just wanted to make sure I was adding cals so I didn't gain, so will just gradually increase X