Bench press form

Options
mreichard
mreichard Posts: 235 Member
edited June 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I've always done bench press with the bar touching my chest at the bottom of reps. I recently read advice to not go below a 90 degree arm bend if you have shoulder issues. Lately as I have been progressing with Stronglifts to weights where I miss a rep occasionally, the front of my chest right where my arm meets my body (about in the middle of my arm vertically -- the distal end of the pectoralis major) hurts and feels like I am tearing something. If I go less than to my chest, it doesn't hurt. Should I change my form or is that cheating? Are there other tweaks I could try?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Get your shoulder blades squeezed together under you on the bench and thus force your chest up. Try to have at least somewhat of an arch in your back if you can manage it. Both of these will help a ton.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Don't let your elbows flare out. I have severe shoulder impingement. As long as you have a back arch, keep your elbows somewhat tucked towards your body, and keep your shoulders pulled back you shouldn't have a problem.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    make sure you are touching your chest at the base your sternum, most people touch too high which can also cause shoulder and other issues. and yes keep your shoulders blades down and back, and your lats squeezed as tight as you can for the whole lift