Has anyone done a dietbet? Thoughts?

Options
I was curious if anyone has ever done a diet bet before and if they liked it and thought it was fun!?

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I looked into it but the timing wasn't right, for me. If you're trying to lose weight, I'd go with the "Transformer" 6 month plan; rather than the "Kickstarter" 1 month plan because the odds of winning're better, since they expect you to lose less; in more time.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I did it. I can't lose that much weight that quickly so it was very discouraging to me.
  • briislovely
    briislovely Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Good to know!
  • KetoTeacher
    KetoTeacher Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I did it and was one of the ones that won. But it was not a very healthy experience :/
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    There's someone on my friends who does it and enjoys it. However, I think they are undereating to achieve the targets and make sure they win. If you're competitive I think it can encourage incredibly disordered behaviour.
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I did. As long as you find one that gives you enough time to lose weight in a healthy manner they can be fun. Everybody comments on the game's page and encourages each other, posts their workouts, recipes, etc.

The one I participated in was through another forum I belong to and that one was not worth it. I didn't read the rules before I sent in my $20: 10% of your body weight in 2 months. I would have had to lose almost 3 pounds per week to win! It was honestly ridiculous.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I am doing one, on track to win. As long as I don't gain 20 pounds in the next 2 weeks I will win, I'm about 5 1/2 months in to a 6-month game.

For me, it didn't help at all except in that I'll get some fun spending cash - but then, I already participate here, I didn't participate there beyond the bare minimum to do my monthly weigh-ins, and when I started I was already midway through losing my weight, so I already knew what to do. I think if I had found that community first, it might have been a different story.
  • phillyhockeyfan
    phillyhockeyfan Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I do dietbets. I told myself I'd do them till I loose. I still have a lot to loose (60 or so) so the weight is still coming off kinda fast. I like the motivational support of it.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I do them every couple of months. It's fun. When I do it I usually join several at one time to better keep me motivated. I have only done the 30 day bets. When I was struggling to lose the last 10lbs I joined 3 higher dollar bets and stuck with it to lose the last of the weight.

The only thing I don't find extremely fair about them is the amount of weight they have you lose, at least the beta I participated in. All the ones I hve done had set that you need a 4% lose to win, which for me has been five pounds or less. It doesn't seem like I have to do much while others who are heavier have much higher amounts to lose in order to win. Not sure how I feel about it, but mayemstically maybe it is fair.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have done two and won both. I just did the month long ones. I think overall I won like $40 total (after I got back the money I bet). I thought the first one was really easy as I was still in the beginning of my weight loss when pounds were dropping like crazy. I struggled at the end of my second one as the loss was slowing down. I decided to stop.
    I know they offer 6 month long ones, but you have to pay every month and I just can't afford to risk it in case something happens.

I love the concept, but I opted to stop.
  • Rebekah_89
    Rebekah_89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I looked into it but the timing wasn't right, for me. If you're trying to lose weight, I'd go with the "Transformer" 6 month plan; rather than the "Kickstarter" 1 month plan because the odds of winning're better, since they expect you to lose less; in more time.

Where do you find information about those bets/plans?
  • Ghostymoon
    Ghostymoon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am doing one now, and tomorrow is the weigh in. I won't be doing another one. I lost the weight, but now I am ovulating, which always comes with a 5 lb water gain for me. I didn't think of that when I joined it, and it is an inherent flaw in the system for me. I won't make the weight, and I will have the same problem every time :(
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I participated in one, and lost the 4% of my body weight in 4 weeks, and I earned I think about $50 back, so a $20 or so profit. I didn't do anything unhealthy or crazy to lose it. I probably won't be doing another one though, because I only have another 5-10 lbs to lose. The main reason I easily lost the weight was because at the time I had water weight to lose, and if you have about 5 lbs of water weight that you lose easily in the first couple of weeks, that puts you ahead.
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Dietbet!! It's exactly what I needed. It just keeps me accountable. I don't eat a donut at work because I want to win dietbet, etc. They start all the time, so join one with dates that work for you. You have to lose 4% of your weight in 28 days. If you win, you're guaranteed to get your money back, if not more.
  • JessicaB523
    JessicaB523 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am trying something called HealthyWage (http://tinyurl.com/hw2hfh7 - not sure if linking is allowed, will remove if needed). I didn't like that dietbet was a set % and a set timeframe. This one has more flexibility so I could chose a slower loss rate. And the hormonal weight gain thing is better with this one because you get a two week period to log your final weigh in, which was a huge factor for me.