Kettlebell workouts

Options
I have heard some great things about kettlebells and found a beginners workout online but was wondering what your success has been using them over free weights and what the best exercises are.

Replies

• KetoTeacher
    KetoTeacher Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just joined a gym and love the kettle bell class because it combines weights and cardio :wink:
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I do Jillian Michaels Shred It with weights and love the results I got. Truly I know how dang annoying she is...but her workouts are fast and effective. I even picked up a set of "beginner" bells on Groupon branded with her name and still regularly use the 15lb bell...I like the huge hand grip they have.

That all said I don't think she does a good job describing and calling out good form, but a little research and paying attention to your body makes that easy enough to figure out.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I do Jillian Michaels Shred It with weights and love the results I got. Truly I know how dang annoying she is...but her workouts are fast and effective. I even picked up a set of "beginner" bells on Groupon branded with her name and still regularly use the 15lb bell...I like the huge hand grip they have.

That all said I don't think she does a good job describing and calling out good form, but a little research and paying attention to your body makes that easy enough to figure out.
    I love her workouts, I really do, but her Kettlebell one isn't a really safe one to do, IMO, due to lack of form instruction.

Find a certified Kettlebell instructor to show you proper form. It is just so easy to get hurt with kettlebells. From there, you can decide to go ahead with the videos once you know the proper form.
  • calmsorroe
    calmsorroe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the "skogg" kettlebell workouts with 15 lbs (gradually increasing weight) and it's a quick workout, 30 minutes 4 times per week, but like that you get both strength training and cardio. He is big on form and gives great instruction for beginners...also much less annoying than some I've seen. He boasts a 1200 calorie an hour burn, I log mine a lot lower, but I am definitely wiped out after each workout.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I take it with an instructor in a very small class. I wouldn't swing alone because you can really hurt your back or yourself until you're really good at using the bells.

I love kettle bell. Just two times a week was enough to create some noticeable changes in my body. And like others said, the cardio with the weights makes for an intense workout.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I like kettlebells; I started with kettlercise classes @ my gym, until they changed the class schedule. Now I have the kettlercise DVDs, lots of info on correct form. Excellent stuff.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I took up kettlebells 8 months ago, I love them! I do them three times a week, a proper kettlebell class on a friday, and following BodyFit by Amy workout on youtube at home the other two times. Kettlebells have made a huge difference to my strength. Make sure you have the correct form though, especially swinging as you'll injure your back otherwise. Do not follow Jillian Michaels kettlebell workouts, she has terrible form, and the one time I followed one of her workouts instead of my usual, I hurt my back a lot. Bodyfit by Amy has beginner workouts to follow and she does teach the proper form, though an instructor in real life is the best option when starting out as they can see if you're doing it right.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Tracy Reifkind is far better choice than Jillian Michaels. Going to Jillian for Kettlebell advice is like asking the pool guy to fix your car. It's not going to work out well.
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I took up kettlebells 8 months ago, I love them! I do them three times a week, a proper kettlebell class on a friday, and following BodyFit by Amy workout on youtube at home the other two times. Kettlebells have made a huge difference to my strength. Make sure you have the correct form though, especially swinging as you'll injure your back otherwise. Do not follow Jillian Michaels kettlebell workouts, she has terrible form, and the one time I followed one of her workouts instead of my usual, I hurt my back a lot. Bodyfit by Amy has beginner workouts to follow and she does teach the proper form, though an instructor in real life is the best option when starting out as they can see if you're doing it right.

Does she have beginner workouts?
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    spm2010 wrote: »

Does she have beginner workouts?

Yes she does, as well as an instructional video on how to do a kettlebell swing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjA-JKoTPJM&list=PLMHMyl3oeyh1zWX_45mwhUyY31o2yYwd2&index=14
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    Tracy Reifkind is far better choice than Jillian Michaels. Going to Jillian for Kettlebell advice is like asking the pool guy to fix your car. It's not going to work out well.

Just about anybody is going to be a better choice than Jillian......horrible form.

Also look for Sarah Lurie, Lauren Brooks or Paul Katami. See if your local library has DVDs.