!!!!!!Help Wanted!!!!

Options
dgeames
dgeames Posts: 19 Member
edited June 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I am currently at the very beginning of my weightless journey. MY SW is 333 and CW is 326 with a GW of 170-160. I decided that every 6 months I would sign of for a small marathons at first and work my way up as I progress. Does anyone recommend an workouts so I can build up to doing a 5k by December 2016? I am currently walking 2 miles 5x a week with very very light jogging when I can.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Have you come across the "Couch to 5k" program, yet? It's a planned set of walk/run intervals designed to step you up to running a full 5k.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    try the C25K app
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yep c25k - then I hear the couch to 10k program is great too but I haven't tried it.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Have a look at C25K - but you also have to be realistic. When you are starting out at a higher weight, your joints are working harder to carry you, so it may be that for a while, brisk walking is a better bet than running - there is really not point in risking injury. I suggest you have a chat to your doctor to see if they can advise what's best for you right now.

If you do go with C25K, my best advice is to take the running legs very slowly. Don't worry that you aren't pushing yourself or aren't going fast enough, you really want to build up slowly and steadily, going out too fast is more likely to cause you to get injured or give up.
    Oh and get good shoes and a good bra. They aren't cheap but they are really, really worth the money.

Whether you are running or walking, signing up for a race is a great idea. You will definitely be able to find a 5k for walkers as well as runners.
  • dgeames
    dgeames Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the info. I appreciate it. I will be sure to look into C25K app.