Dr wants my son to gain weight

Options
He is on a medication that affects his appetite and since our meals have gotten so much healthier he has lost more weight. Does anyone know what I can do beside feed him Ensure or junk food? Also, where kind I find information about calorie needs of children so I can make sure I'm not under feeding him. Sorry, I know it's a strange question but I don't really know where else to ask. The dr was less than helpful.

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering how old your son is and what you mean when you say your meals "have gotten so much healthier"? No reason you can't be serving things he enjoys- pizza, pastas, & proteins (just guessing)- and allowing him more generous servings.
  • stowns30
    stowns30 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Try pediasure... This has been recommended for small children with not so good eating habits
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Full fat dairy, peanut butter, larger portions or more snacks between meals.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    It is hard to keep weight on kids who take certain medications. One strategy is to make them a whopper of a breakfast with lots of fat and protein (whole eggs, cheese, whole milk, bacon or ham) before they take their morning medicine. It helps. Then think high density foods as already recommended above. You can also look on sites for low carbers for "fat bomb" desserts which are lots of calories in just a few bites of food. Olives, cheese, whole milk yogurt, fruit, olive oil, coconut, nuts especially Macadamia, pasta, bread & butter, veggies with a high fat dip, hummus, pizza with extra toppings...good luck.
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I would ask the doctor to at least refer you to a dietitian who deals with kids if he can't be helpful. Or ask him to point you in the direction of a doctor who can be a little bit more helpful.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

That thread has a lot of calorie dense foods that can help your son gain. You can also add high calorie shakes (just google them and you will find tons of them).
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    make sure to ask the doc for a EPI fecal fat test to rule out that disorder. it can cause weight loss mood disorders and worse.
  • momofamadhouse
    momofamadhouse Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I'm wondering how old your son is and what you mean when you say your meals "have gotten so much healthier"? No reason you can't be serving things he enjoys- pizza, pastas, & proteins (just guessing)- and allowing him more generous servings.

He is 8 years old. He and my second oldest both have special needs and texture issues with food (which makes it challenging to feed everyone the same thing!) I changed our family's eating habits when I started trying to lose weight. Since I cook for everyone (and don't want to have to cook 6 different meals lol) we all started eating more lean meats and fresh vegetables. His therapist wants me to try to take him off of gluten as well as sugar to see if it has any affect on his behavior issues. We haven't done that yet (and I'm not sure we will) but I have been trying to limit added sugar in his diet. It didn't occur to me that trying to make leaner meals in general would affect him in any negative way. I didn't really think it through I guess.

Thank you for all your suggestions! I really appreciate the feedback and will try to incorporate some of these strategies.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

He is 8 years old. He and my second oldest both have special needs and texture issues with food (which makes it challenging to feed everyone the same thing!) I changed our family's eating habits when I started trying to lose weight. Since I cook for everyone (and don't want to have to cook 6 different meals lol) we all started eating more lean meats and fresh vegetables. His therapist wants me to try to take him off of gluten as well as sugar to see if it has any affect on his behavior issues. We haven't done that yet (and I'm not sure we will) but I have been trying to limit added sugar in his diet. It didn't occur to me that trying to make leaner meals in general would affect him in any negative way. I didn't really think it through I guess.

Thank you for all your suggestions! I really appreciate the feedback and will try to incorporate some of these strategies.

Well, that's all kind of important! Wow- special needs with food issues... that is a tough one. You wouldn't really have to fix different meals for everyone. In our house, I usually fix one main thing (maybe a lean protein, soup, or pasta dish) and supplement with fresh fruits & veggies, like you say. I allow my son to supplement further with cheese, greek yogurt, or cereal if he's still hungry beyond that. He's a bit picky as well- for a long time, he only ate pb & j on wheat for lunch- but he's branching out a little more these days (he's 10). I know the thought must be daunting, but I hear the specialized diets can often work wonders for special needs kids. I'm sure you'll get lots of responses in regards to that. Wish you the best! :)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Concerning EPI, just to clarify for OP, Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency in children is a rare condition, usually associated with Cystic Fibrosis or Shwachman-Diamond Syndrome. The OP has already indicated that her son is on medications that affect his appetite. EPI is unlikely. Still, the test is a simple one and could theoretically lead to an unexpected, treatable diagnosis. My first cousin had cystic fibrosis. She was a love.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Is there a dietician that can work with you? Put him on whole milk, full fat yogurt, regular cheese. Add some butter to his vegetables and perhaps a sauce to his lean meat. Salad dressing for his salad or to dip his veggies in. You can get something (ducacal or a name like that) to sprinkle on things to increase calories. A bowl of ice cream helps too. A handful of nuts to snack on.