Virgin Marathoner

Options
Looking for new friends to help motivate and inspire me (and vice versa of course). :)

January 19, 2014 is the date! Carlsbad, CA right along the beautiful Pacific Coast. I'm equal parts terrified and ecstatic for this fast-approaching milestone. Currently trying to figure out when to start an official training program.

I could always use training and diet tips! I have quite a few heavy lifters on my news feed, but I feel I can relate more to runners. What do you eat? What are you cutting out of your diet? What has helped your overall performance?

I ran my first half in March of this year and absolutely fell in love with distance running. I'm not a PR kinda girl when the mileage starts hitting the double digits. I'm comfortable between 10-11 minute miles. For me, it's the mental challenge. I save my speed work for the short, fun runs where you don't feel like collapsing or puking. Anyway...let's talk! I need more runners in my life so we can justify each other's madness.

Cheers!

Replies

• seizethefray
    seizethefray Posts: 109
    Options
    *sniff* :(
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I've done a few.

tell us a little about your running background, where you are as a runner, what are your goals, how do you plan to get there?
  • seizethefray
    Options
    I suppose that might be helpful, huh? :) Started running about a year and a half ago, completed a few (terrible) 5Ks then started getting more serious about it. I completed a half marathon this past spring with a time of 2:26. My main goal was to run it without stopping and I did. Although I'd eventually like to beat that time, I'm now focused on finishing the marathon without walking. To date though, 13.1 has been my furthest distance. I trained with the Hal Higdon schedule last time and plan on using it again, but it seems a little early for that.

In short, I'm not too concerned with time--I just want to finish and not die. Ha! I love to pick the brains of fellow runners. Especially those who are on a similar path.
  • GlassSlipperGurl
    GlassSlipperGurl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I started running a few years ago and have finished a bunch on 5K's, a few 8K's, One 15K and three 1/2 Marathons. Two of the 1/2's I run walked with a friend and one we ran straight through...actually had better times on the two that we we run/walked...fastest was 2:40. Ran all the smaller ones (except for the first 5K) and my time is much better for those (average10 min mile). But now I feel I must move up and try the marathon. I don't think there is a chance in hell I can run it straight through and still feel good so I plan to train (just made my schedule and started this week) at a 3/1 Run/walk pace. Really nervous because I have not been able to talk my running buddy into training for a full yet and I hate to run alone. I need the distraction of talking to someone. So..may have to go the "virtual" training route with an app?? Anyone else here training for one? I am planning to follow the galloway marathon training schedule. It is 30+ weeks long.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm training for my first official marathon. I ran my first race a 10-miler last September. To date I've done 3 half marathons and a 10k. Finished my last half in 1:42 and I'm hoping to finish my marathon in under 4 hours. I got injured when I was training for the Napa Marathon and missed out on a half marathon as well.

My diet is pretty clean for most of the week. I believe that what you eat affects your run. So, if you ever need tips I'll gladly give advice.
  • seizethefray
    Options
    I started running a few years ago and have finished a bunch on 5K's, a few 8K's, One 15K and three 1/2 Marathons. Two of the 1/2's I run walked with a friend and one we ran straight through...actually had better times on the two that we we run/walked...fastest was 2:40. Ran all the smaller ones (except for the first 5K) and my time is much better for those (average10 min mile). But now I feel I must move up and try the marathon. I don't think there is a chance in hell I can run it straight through and still feel good so I plan to train (just made my schedule and started this week) at a 3/1 Run/walk pace. Really nervous because I have not been able to talk my running buddy into training for a full yet and I hate to run alone. I need the distraction of talking to someone. So..may have to go the "virtual" training route with an app?? Anyone else here training for one? I am planning to follow the galloway marathon training schedule. It is 30+ weeks long.

I hear you! Most of my friends and family think I'm nuts. I have a girlfriend coming in from out of state to run it with me, but my training will be a long, lonely road. lol I'll have to look into the galloway schedule. The longest programs I've found were about 18-20 weeks so I was thinking I'd have to wait a while to officially start since my race is in January.
  • seizethefray
    Options
    Hi! I'm training for my first official marathon. I ran my first race a 10-miler last September. To date I've done 3 half marathons and a 10k. Finished my last half in 1:42 and I'm hoping to finish my marathon in under 4 hours. I got injured when I was training for the Napa Marathon and missed out on a half marathon as well.

My diet is pretty clean for most of the week. I believe that what you eat affects your run. So, if you ever need tips I'll gladly give advice.

Word! That's an amazing time, girl! I actually looked at registering for the Napa one--that would have been awesome--but decided on something closer to home. If you have an open diary, I'd love to creep it and see what you're eating. I struggle so much with my diet.

P.S. If any of you are on runkeeper, PM me and we can swap info. :)
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'm doing my first full marathon the same day as you, Jan 19, the Houston Marathon. I am going to be using an 18 week Hal Higdon plan, so I'll be officially starting training in September. :smile:
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I just did my first marathon 19 days ago. I started running 5Ks last summer and worked up to my first half marathon in November. So far this year I've done four half marathons and plan to do at least two more. I'm considering another marathon next year, but so far my recovery has been much harder than I thought it would be.

I used Hal Higdon's novice 1 for my marathon training. I am not an athlete and my goal was just to finish - which I did. And I ran every step. I am not sure that only one 20 mile run was enough to prepare me for my marathon. The last six miles were very hard. I believe Galloway's program might have prepared me better due to the longer training time and the run/walk method.

Congratulations on deciding to run a marathon!
  • Jdiaz72
    Jdiaz72 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi! I want runner friends too. I live in San Francisco and run many 1/2 marathons a year. Next up Nike and Berkeley.

I have a pretty faithful weekend running group and run a few times during the week at my gym - near work if I have a race coming up.

I am also about 10-11 min miler but would love to increase my speed by Nike. So I am on this to try and shed some weight I have been holding onto since I had my son.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options

Word! That's an amazing time, girl! I actually looked at registering for the Napa one--that would have been awesome--but decided on something closer to home. If you have an open diary, I'd love to creep it and see what you're eating. I struggle so much with my diet.

P.S. If any of you are on runkeeper, PM me and we can swap info. :)

Yep, my diary is wide open. Got a bit messy over the holiday weekend due to my boyfriend's having people in town, but I'm usually very good. I was so upset about Napa. Injuries are heartbreaking, my physical therapist had to drag me kicking and screaming from my running shoes.

I might do Napa next year. I'm running the Nike SF marathon in October and am heading up to Napa afterward, so I'll make a decision then. Though I think I might run Disney in January.
  • seizethefray
    Options
    Hey there! I'm doing my first full marathon the same day as you, Jan 19, the Houston Marathon. I am going to be using an 18 week Hal Higdon plan, so I'll be officially starting training in September. :smile:

Aww yay! I'll send you a FR. :) I'm excited for us both!
  • seizethefray
    Options
    I just did my first marathon 19 days ago. I started running 5Ks last summer and worked up to my first half marathon in November. So far this year I've done four half marathons and plan to do at least two more. I'm considering another marathon next year, but so far my recovery has been much harder than I thought it would be.

I used Hal Higdon's novice 1 for my marathon training. I am not an athlete and my goal was just to finish - which I did. And I ran every step. I am not sure that only one 20 mile run was enough to prepare me for my marathon. The last six miles were very hard. I believe Galloway's program might have prepared me better due to the longer training time and the run/walk method.

Congratulations on deciding to run a marathon!

Definitely looking into Galloway's program. That's good to know. I also noticed the 20 mile max in the Hal Higdon schedule and wondered if that would be enough. Isn't 20 normally where you hit the wall? Yikes. Congrats to you, too!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Next time put "VIRGIN..." in the title and then start the opening paragraph with "....marathoner needs help and friends."

That will get attention, though probably not any serious answers.

Good luck though.
  • seizethefray
    Options
    @southerndream, that sucks about Napa. It's so breathtakingly GORGEOUS there. Hopefully you get a chance to run the next one. I've checked out the Disney ones too, but they fill up so quickly! Plus, I'm all salty that the steep registration fees don't include entry to the park. What?! Haha
  • seizethefray
    Options
    Hi! I want runner friends too. I live in San Francisco and run many 1/2 marathons a year. Next up Nike and Berkeley.

I have a pretty faithful weekend running group and run a few times during the week at my gym - near work if I have a race coming up.

I am also about 10-11 min miler but would love to increase my speed by Nike. So I am on this to try and shed some weight I have been holding onto since I had my son.

Best of luck with your upcoming races! I love your city. :)
  • seizethefray
    Options
    Next time put "VIRGIN..." in the title and then start the opening paragraph with "....marathoner needs help and friends."

That will get attention, though probably not any serious answers.

Good luck though.

Ah, so that was my mistake! Not exactly looking for the creepers though... :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I ran my first marathon in May. The difference, especially in training, between a full and a half is hard to describe. It is hard to prepare yourself for everything that goes into training for a full. Lots of blood, sweat and tears. And well worth every minute of it! The sense of accomplishment is amazing! Good luck...and enjoy!!!
  • seizethefray
    Options
    I ran my first marathon in May. The difference, especially in training, between a full and a half is hard to describe. It is hard to prepare yourself for everything that goes into training for a full. Lots of blood, sweat and tears. And well worth every minute of it! The sense of accomplishment is amazing! Good luck...and enjoy!!!

Thank you so much! I'm so excited. :)
  • antonjanik
    antonjanik Posts: 12
    Options
    So I started running 2/2, have done 10 races to date and am working to my first 1/2 marathon (Memphis) in December. Then the 1/2 in New Orleans in February, then Little Rock for a full marathon in March.

For prep, one of my hard core/first place marathon buddies gave me a copy of Advanced Marathoning. He said not to worry about the distances, instead read and understand the lactic acid threshold stuff--and that it made the biggest difference for him. Basically, it means to not train fast. Instead, train slow, train at a pace that keeps you under your lactic acid threshhold which for most of us is still around 75-80% of your MHR. Those long slow endurance runs push up your threshhold so that you can end up running with a faster pace, you don't hit your lactic acid threshhold, and therefore you don't crash at 20 miles.

Anyway, the biggest difference I saw in my running food wise was eating food without labels/ingredients. So I eat a lot of vegetables and grains, make sure I get enough protein (beans, legumes, dairy, lean meat or fish). Give yourself a rest day at least once a week. That gives me such a killer time on the next run. Really listen to your body. Keep a running notebook, and read over it often.

Have fun, run with a smile, and say hi to those you meet along the way!