favorite comforting sick foods?

Options
fishshark
fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
My husband came home from 2 weeks in China super sick, and he lovingly passed it on to me. Hopefully its not the bird flu lol ;) . I have a nasty sore throat and have been putting down cough drops like crazy. Im doing the typical broth, tea, and fluids. I was wondering if there are any tricks of the trade you all like to eat when sick. Not sure if its flu, cold, strep, death.. haha all in the same i suppose.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the good old chicken soup. Boil 2 chicken breasts in broth until cooked through, pull them out and shred them and pop them back in the broth with a can of cream of chicken soup, and a bag of frozen veg. Super easy and very comforting
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I like smooth soups when I'm not feeling good, like soup made from butternut squash.
  • fishshark
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the good old chicken soup. Boil 2 chicken breasts in broth until cooked through, pull them out and shred them and pop them back in the broth with a can of cream of chicken soup, and a bag of frozen veg. Super easy and very comforting

ohhh didnt think of cream of chicken soup added to it. yessss. sounds so good.
  • fishshark
    Options
    I like smooth soups when I'm not feeling good, like soup made from butternut squash.

thats what i had for breakfast haha! the best
  • losingdays
    losingdays Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    1 cup of boiling water, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 Tbsp Manuka honey, 1 Tbsp organic Apple Cider Vinegar (with the Mother 'active' and present in the bottle preferably). Stir together and have as many per day as you can manage. Comforting and the ACV helps fight off whatever 'bugs' (as my mother calls them :P) are making you sick
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My favorites are basic chicken broth soups:
    - Chicken noodle soup.
    - Egg drop soup.
    - Matzo ball soup.

If you can make them from scratch, all the better because you avoid the sodium. You can cook your stock base in a crock pot or pressure cooker and go from there.
  • fishshark
    Options
    losingdays wrote: »
    1 cup of boiling water, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 Tbsp Manuka honey, 1 Tbsp organic Apple Cider Vinegar (with the Mother 'active' and present in the bottle preferably). Stir together and have as many per day as you can manage. Comforting and the ACV helps fight off whatever 'bugs' (as my mother calls them :P) are making you sick

i took a few teaspoons of manuka just cause i had it. Il do any wives tale and modern medicine to get rid of it lol!
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Soup, toast, diet Sprite were my go-to's the last time I was sick. Oh, and for some weird reason Fig Newtons.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sore-throat/manage/ptc-20202009

Honey
    Popsicles
    Tea
    Soup
    Not food- Breathe some steam. I sit with my head over a bowl of hot water and covered with a towel for several minutes. A steamy shower might help too.
  • ClarissaMcDaniel
    ClarissaMcDaniel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Campbell's Chicken and Stars soup and hot Tazo Passion Tea.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    For me, Chinese food is comfort food when I'm sick. Probably because I can order it and have it delivered. Wonton soup for sure, I used to get cold sesame noodles and some dumplings; now my local place makes a chicken and shrimp dish that has become my "usual".
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I like scrambled eggs when I am sick (as long as it's not a stomach bug).
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Soup is always wonderful!
    I like to eat something spicy because it helps numb the sore throat and also it clears out your nose if it is stuffy. I used to make spicy spaghetti all the time!
  • jaedizzle01
    jaedizzle01 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I love chicken noodle or at least chicken broth
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    The last time I was sick I had egg drop soup and ice cream. Both made me feel better :wink:
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Hot tea, soups, gatorade, and diet sodas. If my throat hurts then I will need some frozen popsicles and possibly a small vanilla milkshake. Yum.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Kelloggs cornflakes and oat milk. Reminds me of being a child and being looked after by my mum when I was sick.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    this chicken congee is my go to recipe.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Pineapple is really good for a sore throat. However, when I was little and sick with tonsilitis I binged on the stuff because it helped so much... I now associate pineapple with pain :smiley:
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Lipton noodle soup with a beaten egg and hot sauce stirred in during the last minute of cooking (comes out like egg drop). And ginger ale. The saltiness and fizz always helps clear out my sinuses and soothes my throat/coughing.