Not lost anything this week :(

Options
Hi there
I've consistently lost 2-6 lb per week for the past 4 weeks but now this week despite sticking to my diet I haven't lost anything? I'm so confused
Should I up my calories as I'm only on 1000 a day

Replies

• marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    first, you don't need to eat so little to lose weight

secondly, weight fluctuates, so you may not lose every week.

Wouldn't that depend on how much she has to lose? I mean yes, she could choose to lose less than 2 lbs per week, but does she have to?

I still have 74 lbs to go and when I input my data (without added exercise) to lose 2 lbs a week my calorie goal should be 1178. That being said, I eat back most of my exercise calories and only lose about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs per week, but if I go over even by the littlest bit then I lose nothing.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    up your calories to a minimum of 1200 which is the recommended amount.
    Weight loss is not linear, you could find next week or in the next few days you will see a loss.
  • SpacePook
    SpacePook Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you eat consistently below your basal metabolic rate, your body will adjust to require fewer calories and you'll stop losing weight. Going beneath the BMR for long periods of time will sabotage your metabolism. You should calculate your BMR and work from there. Consider adding weightlifting if you aren't doing much by way of building muscle mass at present.
  • Nurse_81
    Nurse_81 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks for all the replies, I have 58 lb to lose and I have lost weight before and found if I eat over 1000 calories I don't lose fast enough if at all, and I get really de-motivated
    Thanks for all your advice
    Marm1962 good luck on your weigh loss journey

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi thanks for all the replies, I have 58 lb to lose and I have lost weight before and found if I eat over 1000 calories I don't lose fast enough if at all, and I get really de-motivated

Get the idea out of your head about losing fast! its not the right way to look at it, you have to think about losing slowly/consistently (just like you will have gained slowly..) that's why diets don't work, when people resume normal eating - as is the norm when we restrict calories too much, its just not sustainable. Think about long term, changing eating habits bit by bit so it becomes the norm to eat differently/healthier.
    I was a yo yo dieter for years, always gained back what I'd lost. When I joined MFP in 2012 I decided this time I had to do things differently. I set my loss to 0.5lb a week as I had around 20lbs to lose, it took me a year to lose it but never once did I feel deprived, and guess what? I kept it off and I KNOW I'll keep it off for the rest of my life. Think long term plan :smile:

(I lost eating approx 1600-1800 cals a day/ 5ft 2" - got active as well which really helped)

All the best! :smile:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    first, you don't need to eat so little to lose weight

secondly, weight fluctuates, so you may not lose every week.

Wouldn't that depend on how much she has to lose? I mean yes, she could choose to lose less than 2 lbs per week, but does she have to?

I still have 74 lbs to go and when I input my data (without added exercise) to lose 2 lbs a week my calorie goal should be 1178. That being said, I eat back most of my exercise calories and only lose about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs per week, but if I go over even by the littlest bit then I lose nothing.

And that's why I wrote that other post.

Now with 74lbs to go a goal of 1lb a week is not excessive; but, given your TDEE (which is implied to be under 2500) anything beyond -500 exceeds a 20% deficit by a lot... and would not be appropriate if you want to minimise lean mass loss and if you want to minimise metabolic adaptation.

As to the OP, impatiently waiting for results means you are doing something different than what you intend to do forever.

Very few people succeed in losing weight and maintaining their weight loss long term. My personal belief (not based on any studies) is that losing your weight the same way you plan on maintaining your loss increases your chance of success.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    How will increasing calories help you lose weight??
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, if you lose the weight really fast, you are risking losing a lot of muscle along with the fat. Your body can only burn so much fat at a time - that's why it is recommended to lose no more than 2 lbs per week, unless you need to lose the weight to avoid immediate serious health conditions and you're under a doctor's care. Plus as someone else mentioned, if you eat at an aggressive deficit for a long period of time, your body will compensate by burning less calories overall and eventually you may have to eat less and less just to maintain a healthy weight. So yeah, you'll lose weight super fast, but then you will have no muscle tone and will have to eat less food just to keep from putting the weight back on.

Your weight can fluctuate every day several lbs up or down due to water weight, digestion issues, exercise etc, and weight loss isn't linear, even if you are perfect everyday.

Please eat the calories MFP is giving you and adjust your expectations - speed dieting is a recipe for yo-yo dieting, and can set you up for a lot of frustration. Good luck!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks for all the replies, I have 58 lb to lose and I have lost weight before and gained it back and found if I eat over 1000 calories I don't lose fast enough if at all, and I get really de-motivated

I edited that for you. Build long term weight management skills rather than rushing to lose weight as quickly as possible. Perhaps then this will be the last time you need to lose weight.

How will increasing calories help you lose weight??

Increasing her calories will lead to long term weight loss being more likely. A person eating only 1000 calories per day is more likely to crash and burn due to being too hungry. She's likely to lose her period, experience hair loss, brittle nails, depression, fatigue, etc. It's unsustainable and unhealthy and plain old unnecessary.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    6 lbs a week is insane! Your poor body - give it a break and drop down to a more reasonable weight loss. You won't lose every week - that's normal but the extreme deficit required to lose 6 lbs a week has got to be hard on your body and could cause all sorts of problems.