Circuit Style Boot Camp Training Ideas

Options
This summer I am running a circuit style boot camp for myself and some friends once a week. I typically do a boot camp three times a week with a trainer (I recently have started running the class when she's not available), but over the summer she is only running classes twice a week, so I want to get an additional work out in. I thought a good way to do this would be to run something myself, and try to get some friends and family out to join in. I have a few people interested and I'm excited to get started.

I was wondering if anyone has any circuit training ideas that I could use to mix it up. I will be doing some regular station-to-station style circuits, but I also want to try some different ideas. For instance, I will be doing the "12 Days of Christmas" workout (1 lap; 2 burpees, 1 lap; 3 pushups, 2 burpees, 1 lap; and so on). I got the idea for another event I would like to do from a previous boot camp instructor; she called it "The Gauntlet." There is a list of exercises, and you run a lap, and then do the specified number of reps of the next exercise on the list. You get as far down the list as you can in the allotted time and keep track of where you ended. Then at the end of the summer do it again and try to do better than the first time.

I'm trying to find other circuit style workouts that are not simply the station-to-station style. If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Bleachers. High school stadiums are great for circuits. Laps, sprints, bear crawls, box jumps... Bring a wagon filled with accessories like battle ropes, medicine ball, sled, suspension trainer...
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Jumping lunges & squats. Bodyweight rows for the pulling muscles (often overlooked in bootcamp workouts).

Do you have a personal training or group class certification? You really should if people are paying for the class, so you can properly diagnose and correct form issues, have an understanding of good program design, etc. :+1:
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I tried this yesterday morning, went pretty well:

400 Rep Circuit:

Push-ups: 50reps
    Jump Squats: 50reps
    Australian Pull-ups: 50reps
    Bench Hops: 50reps (25/side)
    Neutral Grip Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 50reps
    Dumbbell Squats: 50reps
    Renegade Dumbbell Rows: 50reps (25/side)
    Push-ups: 50reps
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Jumping lunges & squats. Bodyweight rows for the pulling muscles (often overlooked in bootcamp workouts).

Do you have a personal training or group class certification? You really should if people are paying for the class, so you can properly diagnose and correct form issues, have an understanding of good program design, etc. :+1:

No one is paying for the class. It's more just a way to get together as a group and get active, and I wanted to encourage some of my more inactive friends to get moving in a supportive environment. I just happened to take the initiative to come up with the workouts. I have a lot of experience with different boot camps, and can come up with a lot of different exercises (and modifications for those exercises), but am trying to think of different formats to keep it interesting.