Breastfeeding?

braleatrahan
braleatrahan Posts: 6 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So I am going to go out on a limb here to see if there may be anyone that is dominating weight loss while breastfeeding. And if there is, can you link up with me because I need some guidance

Replies

• StephiSweethrt
    StephiSweethrt Posts: 1 Member
    I am also breastfeeding. I need to start trying to loose weight. I feel so lost. About a month ago I started trying to watch my diet and my supply drastically decreased. I ended up giving up , but I really need to shed some pounds and I feel so lost.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I am breastfeeding (5 months pp) and losing weight pretty steadily. I am eating around maintenance I think, but not tracking my cals. I find if I eat pretty healthy and have my dessert at night and keep active it works for me. You may want to start tracking (weighing and measuring your intake) to be sure since you may be eating more than you think you are
  • k8tbaby18
    k8tbaby18 Posts: 1 Member
    I am breastfeeding and one of the huge things is staying active. Eat a good diet if you are tracking and your calorie intake is 1500 add 300. Really drink a ton of water! This will help with weight loss as well as keeping your supply up
  • braleatrahan
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    I'm nursing my 4th child (nursed all of them for 2-2.5 years, current nursling is almost 1 year old and still going strong). I got back to prepreg weight in about 8 months this time around. I've found a number of things helpful:

1. Don't be too aggressive. Wait until nursing is well established (a good 6-8 weeks) and shoot for no more than a 1 lb per week loss to minimize impact on your supply. Eat back your calories from breastfeeding. Since lactation burns an average of 500 cal per day in the newborn phase, this means eating at maintenance. Don't go lower than 1800 cal per day in any case (this is what most lactation professionals suggest to ensure proper nutrition).

2. Decrease intake gradually - figure out your calorie goal and drop your current intake by about 100 cal per day for a week, than another 100 a day for a week, until you reach your goal intake. This can help prevent drop in supply, as a sudden dramatic drop in calories can reduce supply.

3. Same thing with carbs - if you want to try reducing carbs, do so slowly.

4. Drink lots of water. Breastmilk is predominantly water and you need to stay hydrated. Getting in the habit of grabbing a glass of water every time you settle in to nurse the baby is a great way to start.

5. Eat for nutrition and satiety. It is inherently unfair, but those "extra" 500 cal per day you get for breastfeeding are really for the baby. Treats are fine now and then, but do try to make sure most of your foods are nutrient dense, paying particular attention to getting good sources of fat (your baby's brain needs them) and protein. Foods that are high in fat, protein, and fiber tend to be most filling (which is great during this time - breastfeeding = hunger for many many women). Look at your protein and fat goals as minimums to achieve each day, then fill in the rest with carbs as desired. Keep taking that daily prenatal vitamin.

6. Get active! Try to incorporate some activity most days of the week (once you are cleared by your doc/mw). Even a simple walk with baby in the stroller will help improve your mood, burn some calories, and help restrengthen those muscles that got stretched out by pregnancy. When you can, get out by yourself and do something more intense, but pay attention to form and listen to your body - it takes about a year for the joints and ligaments that were loosened in preparation for delivery to get back to normal. Injuring yourself by doing too much too soon just means you have to wait that much longer to get back into an exercise routine again! So take it slow.

7. Sleep (we can dream can't we, lol). Kidding aside, do make sleep a priority. Sleep deprivation releases stress hormones, weakens willpower, increases hunger, and just makes it harder to stay on plan. Grab a nap whenever you can. Consider pumping so you partner can take the "night shift" at least once a week so you can play catch up on sleep. Relax about the housework - let the dust bunnies do their thing, they aren't going anywhere!

8. If after doing these things, you find that you still aren't losing weight, you can safely drop calories a bit lower - gradually, and with a careful eye towards nutrition - but keep an eye on baby. I wouldn't suggest going below 1800 unless and until baby is well established on solids (of course at that point you aren't using so many calories from nursing anymore, so you likely will have to reduce your intake somewhat).

Lastly - take care of yourself, be kind to yourself, and have patience! You just made a person!! You will get your body back (or a close approximation, lol) if you are consistent and give it time. Some women do find the last 5-10 lbs doesn't want to budge until after they wean, but you should be able to get very close to your prepreg weight regardless. Congrats on your little one, and good luck!

Thank you so much! That helped break it down so much better! My baby is 5 and a half months old and I have been fighting tooth and nail to stay nursing. I am so depressed with my weight and the way i look, and i am unfortunately not one of the lucky ones who loses weight while breastfeeding.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    I'm nursing my 4th child (nursed all of them for 2-2.5 years, current nursling is almost 1 year old and still going strong). I got back to prepreg weight in about 8 months this time around. I've found a number of things helpful:

1. Don't be too aggressive. Wait until nursing is well established (a good 6-8 weeks) and shoot for no more than a 1 lb per week loss to minimize impact on your supply. Eat back your calories from breastfeeding. Since lactation burns an average of 500 cal per day in the newborn phase, this means eating at maintenance. Don't go lower than 1800 cal per day in any case (this is what most lactation professionals suggest to ensure proper nutrition).

2. Decrease intake gradually - figure out your calorie goal and drop your current intake by about 100 cal per day for a week, than another 100 a day for a week, until you reach your goal intake. This can help prevent drop in supply, as a sudden dramatic drop in calories can reduce supply.

4. Drink lots of water. Breastmilk is predominantly water and you need to stay hydrated. Getting in the habit of grabbing a glass of water every time you settle in to nurse the baby is a great way to start.

5. Eat for nutrition and satiety. It is inherently unfair, but those "extra" 500 cal per day you get for breastfeeding are really for the baby. Treats are fine now and then, but do try to make sure most of your foods are nutrient dense, paying particular attention to getting good sources of fat (your baby's brain needs them) and protein. Foods that are high in fat, protein, and fiber tend to be most filling (which is great during this time - breastfeeding = hunger for many many women). Look at your protein and fat goals as minimums to achieve each day, then fill in the rest with carbs as desired. Keep taking that daily prenatal vitamin.

6. Get active! Try to incorporate some activity most days of the week (once you are cleared by your doc/mw). Even a simple walk with baby in the stroller will help improve your mood, burn some calories, and help restrengthen those muscles that got stretched out by pregnancy. When you can, get out by yourself and do something more intense, but pay attention to form and listen to your body - it takes about a year for the joints and ligaments that were loosened in preparation for delivery to get back to normal. Injuring yourself by doing too much too soon just means you have to wait that much longer to get back into an exercise routine again! So take it slow.

7. Sleep (we can dream can't we, lol). Kidding aside, do make sleep a priority. Sleep deprivation releases stress hormones, weakens willpower, increases hunger, and just makes it harder to stay on plan. Grab a nap whenever you can. Consider pumping so you partner can take the "night shift" at least once a week so you can play catch up on sleep. Relax about the housework - let the dust bunnies do their thing, they aren't going anywhere!

8. If after doing these things, you find that you still aren't losing weight, you can safely drop calories a bit lower - gradually, and with a careful eye towards nutrition - but keep an eye on baby. I wouldn't suggest going below 1800 unless and until baby is well established on solids (of course at that point you aren't using so many calories from nursing anymore, so you likely will have to reduce your intake somewhat).

Lastly - take care of yourself, be kind to yourself, and have patience! You just made a person!! You will get your body back (or a close approximation, lol) if you are consistent and give it time. Some women do find the last 5-10 lbs doesn't want to budge until after they wean, but you should be able to get very close to your prepreg weight regardless. Congrats on your little one, and good luck!

Thank you so much! That helped break it down so much better! My baby is 5 and a half months old and I have been fighting tooth and nail to stay nursing. I am so depressed with my weight and the way i look, and i am unfortunately not one of the lucky ones who loses weight while breastfeeding.

No problem. You're doing great to be nursing at 5.5 months! I know it's hard to shed the weight, especially with a baby to tend to, and it's easy to get down for not "springing back" quickly. It took me between a year and 18 months with my first three kids! This time I had a better handle on things (4th times a charm, lol), but I still had to work at it and be careful with my intake. It's so easy to grab just anything when you're tired and overwhelmed and exhausted, but it's a vicious cycle - when you eat poorly, you feel even more tired and overwhelmed! Your baby is at a great age for you to start taking walks (outdoors when the weather permits, try mall walking if the weather is bad). Simply logging your food makes you more aware of what you are eating, and even if you don't make any deliberate changes, just knowing you'll have to log it sets up some accountability, which can lead to better choices. You will get there! Just be consistent and take care of yourself!

• jaedizzle01
    jaedizzle01 Posts: 775 Member
    I'm breastfeedinflg 16 months and going strong. I've just recently started workout maybe like a month now
  • braleatrahan

No problem. You're doing great to be nursing at 5.5 months! I know it's hard to shed the weight, especially with a baby to tend to, and it's easy to get down for not "springing back" quickly. It took me between a year and 18 months with my first three kids! This time I had a better handle on things (4th times a charm, lol), but I still had to work at it and be careful with my intake. It's so easy to grab just anything when you're tired and overwhelmed and exhausted, but it's a vicious cycle - when you eat poorly, you feel even more tired and overwhelmed! Your baby is at a great age for you to start taking walks (outdoors when the weather permits, try mall walking if the weather is bad). Simply logging your food makes you more aware of what you are eating, and even if you don't make any deliberate changes, just knowing you'll have to log it sets up some accountability, which can lead to better choices. You will get there! Just be consistent and take care of yourself!

One more question, eating to maintain my weight puts me a little over 2700 calories, obviously I am eating more than that now if im gaining weight, but this seems excessive im order to lose weight. Start here and slowly drop my intake?

• braleatrahan
    I'm breastfeedinflg 16 months and going strong. I've just recently started workout maybe like a month now

Did u slowly work ur way back into it?

• LLT38
    LLT38 Posts: 172 Member
    I am nursing a 13 month old. I didn't try to lose weight until she was 7 months old and taking some solids. I set a weight loss goal of 1 lb/week. I lost 29lbs by the time she turned 1.

If you aren't losing, you are eating more than you think. Invest in a food scale - it's a game changer when it comes to weight loss. I am terrible at eyeballing portions so I need a scale or I will eat too much. The only thing you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. You can eat whatever you want, you just limit your portions so you stay within your calorie goal. You can do it!
  • jaedizzle01
    jaedizzle01 Posts: 775 Member

Did u slowly work ur way back into it?

Yeah, I did. I had a c section (4th ) so I wasn't trying to back into to it to fast and hurt myself. But I started with stretching and a mile walk to and from the mail box ( i live in the country and the mailbox is at the end of the street )
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Wow thanks for that write up @tlflag1620 - really great advice there!
  • tlflag1620

One more question, eating to maintain my weight puts me a little over 2700 calories, obviously I am eating more than that now if im gaining weight, but this seems excessive im order to lose weight. Start here and slowly drop my intake?

Given that your baby is almost six months old, I imagine he (she?) is starting solids, or will be very soon. So you may not need the full 500 extra per day anymore. When my youngest started solids I dropped 200 of those extra so I was in about a half lb per week deficit (but still losing about one lb per week). Are you weighing and measuring food, or just eyeballing? I ask because eyeballing can mean a lot of error and eyeballing 2700-ish calories could easily lead to overconsumption.

Try setting your rate of loss for a half lb per week, log everything you eat for a few weeks and *kitten* - are you feeling full and satisfied or do you find yourself hungry and struggling not to go over? Are you losing weight? At what rate (keeping in mind it's normal to see a bigger loss in the first week due to water weight losses)? The goal, really, is to eat as much as possible while still losing about 1 lb per week - that maximizes nutrition (important all the time, but especially when nursing), minimizes hunger, and helps with long term adherence. Remember that as you lose weight, your calorie intake will also need to drop if you want to continue to lose at the desired rate (update your stats every 15-20 lbs).

Hope this helps!
  • braleatrahan

Given that your baby is almost six months old, I imagine he (she?) is starting solids, or will be very soon. So you may not need the full 500 extra per day anymore. When my youngest started solids I dropped 200 of those extra so I was in about a half lb per week deficit (but still losing about one lb per week). Are you weighing and measuring food, or just eyeballing? I ask because eyeballing can mean a lot of error and eyeballing 2700-ish calories could easily lead to overconsumption.

Try setting your rate of loss for a half lb per week, log everything you eat for a few weeks and *kitten* - are you feeling full and satisfied or do you find yourself hungry and struggling not to go over? Are you losing weight? At what rate (keeping in mind it's normal to see a bigger loss in the first week due to water weight losses)? The goal, really, is to eat as much as possible while still losing about 1 lb per week - that maximizes nutrition (important all the time, but especially when nursing), minimizes hunger, and helps with long term adherence. Remember that as you lose weight, your calorie intake will also need to drop if you want to continue to lose at the desired rate (update your stats every 15-20 lbs).

Hope this helps!

Baby is on solids once a day, and I have already noticed a decrease in milk due to that, still trying to adjust to that concept lol. in the past, I have measured my food. When im conscious of what im eating I am satisfied with 2700, i actually find it to be a bit much, but its obviously not since im gaining weight im over eating
  • tlflag1620
    With baby on solids, you could probably shoot for 2500 per day. I wouldn't be too concerned about going a bit below that, so long as you aren't feeling hungry and are making mindful, nutritious choices. Beyond that, keep an eye on your bathroom scale. If you are losing more than 1.5 lbs per week (on average) you'll want to eat a bit more, if you are losing .5 lb or less (or gaining) per week, you'll want to cut back a bit. Unfortunately it really is a bit of trial and error, especially as the bubs transition to solids. At the one year mark I drop all "extra" calories from nursing (even tho mine tend to continue to nurse a couple times a day well beyond that point) - it just makes it easier for me to keep tabs on my intake (but if I have a "hungry" day, I don't worry about going a tad over on calories either, lol).

I do second the idea of dusting off the food scale. At the very least weigh calorie dense foods (meats, cheeses, butter and oil, nuts and nut butters, etc) as being a little off on estimations of those has more impact than being off on your estimations of, say, cucumbers, lol.
  • seattlerain
    seattlerain Posts: 189 Member
    I'm successfully losing weight while nursing. I eat a minimum of 2000 calories a day and I will eat more if I'm hungry. I drink OVER 2 gallons of water a day and I have a high protein intake. I'm eating 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fats. I'm already 13lbs below my pre-pregnancy weight.

I noticed a small decrease in my supply initially, but I eat lactation oatmeal for breakfast (oatmeal, flax seed, Brewers yeast, cinnamon, peanut butter and a banana) and I drink 1 cup of Mothers Milk Tea with two tea bags daily. I choose nutrient dense foods, lean proteins and healthy fats. I do pump 1 once a day to build/maintain my freezer stash.

I excerise EVERY day which includes a 30 minute HITT routine on the stair master and I lift heavy weights for 30-40 minutes. Sunday's are our families hiking day and we hike between 4 and 9 miles.

If I feel like my supply is dropping slightly I'll pump extra, eat some more that day and maintain my water intake of over 2 gallons.
  • braleatrahan
    Thank you ladies so much! Your advice helped clear things up for me a lot