Complete noob. Need help with exercise schedule.

Hi, three days ago my boyfriend and I signed up for a gym membership. The last two days we went we started off with cardio for 30 minutes and then moved onto the weights. The first day we focused on using all of the different arm and chest machines. The next day we did the 30 min cardio then focused on all of the different leg machines.

We realized we really need some sort of schedule to follow so we can make sure we are working out all of the body.

I have a couple questions though...

1. I heard it is actually better to do weights first then cardio because by the time you get to the cardio you will be burning fat. Is that correct?
2. Is it correct to leave a day in between for rest? Example.. I work out my arm muscles .. then the next day rest so they can repair.. then I am good to go again after that?

Now, like the title says.. I am extremely new to the whole gym environment. I am a noob. I am 27 F and before this my exercise was walking and biking.

My boyfriend and I's goal is to lose weight and gain some muscle/tone. I am just looking for someone to help with a basic schedule to start off with .. No crazy workouts right now.. just want to use the machines till I get used to all of it.

So should I do something like:
M = arms, chest, and back.
T = legs, abs, and butt.
W = cardio only for hour +
TH = arms, chest, and back
F= legs, abs and butt
S= ???
Sun= cardio only.

As you can see.. I am kinda just lost on what to do for a schedule.. I am pretty sure we are hitting the gym 6 days a week.

This post is longer than I meant to make it :neutral: but any help would be much appreciated.

Replies

• chrisrc131
    chrisrc131 Posts: 45 Member
    edited June 2016
    1. There are a few reasons to do cardio after lifting as opposed to the other way around, though that particular one sounds like what one might call a "Bro-science" myth. The main reason you'd do cardio second is because whatever you do second is going to suffer since you're already tired. For the most part, that just means you might run (or whatever) a little slower - you're still getting most of the cardio benefit. If you were to lift second, you'd be able to lift less - getting less strength benefit - and you'd be more likely to injure yourself with poor form brought on by fatigue. The primary exception to this lift first, run second line of thought is if you're actually training for a cardio activity where you want to focus your intensity on that and just get in the lifting you can afterwards.

2. Yes, you generally want to give your muscles a day off between working them.

I've never tried to set up a workout routine with only machines, but what you're showing looks an awful lot like a typical 4-day upper/lower split. It's hardly the only way to do it, but there's nothing wrong with that.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Lyle McDonald has a workout routine based on machines that he uses for beginner clients. It is at this link. He has them do one set but I would suggest doing 2 sets and then you could work up to 3 sets.

* Lyle McDonald's barbell and machine routines - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Lyle McDonald has a workout routine based on machines that he uses for beginner clients. It is at this link. He has them do one set but I would suggest doing 2 sets and then you could work up to 3 sets.

* Lyle McDonald's barbell and machine routines - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/

Yeah, I set my wife up with something very similar to that. I have her doing 2 sets with a weight, then 3 sets the next time, then upping the weight and doing 2 sets and so forth. It fits her needs and abilities just fine.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Rather than doing body weight splits as beginners a full body workout three times a week is probably going to be better - based around the big compound lifts. That way you work your muscles three times a week and build good functional strength.

A simple schedule could be alternate days doing strength one day and cardio of your choice (something you enjoy, indoors or out) the next. One day a week off.
    heard it is actually better to do weights first then cardio because by the time you get to the cardio you will be burning fat. Is that correct?
    No it's complete cobblers! Sitting in your chair you are burning fat, asleep you are burning fat. No special tricks required to manipulate the fuel your body uses.
    A valid reason to do one before the other would be if you are prioritising one over the other or what you do second is compromised by the first - a lot depends on intensity though.
    I simply prefer to do them on separate days for focus.

Losing weight comes from your calorie balance.