Food surprises

Options
sjgold123
sjgold123 Posts: 133 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Just wondered what foods you are surprised by to be really low calories and scrummy?
Food swaps that have worked and what are your new favourite treats?
And any tips for evening munchies....I currently don't buy stuff in general and have a cup of tea instead but I miss cracker style crisps and nuts (cashews and chilli coated).

So I'm loving Danone light and free yogurts 58 calories a pot when they taste so creamy!
And food swaps (OK nothing amazing) but wholewheat pasta...half the calories and I never knew!?! and I also bulk out pasta dishes with courgette spaghetti and I don't feel hard done by!

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I was amazed that cauliflower can make an amazing substitute for both potatoes and rice,. Assuming that it's well made, I actually find that it's better than the original. I'll never touch another starch so long as I live. xD
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Agree with the cauliflower. It is a very good mashed potato sub.

I never thought I'd eat a pork rind. 80 calories and 0 carbs per servings with such a great crunch!

My favorite treat is whipped chocolate ricotta. Ricotta cheese mixed with unsweetened cocoa powder and sweet nlow, blended, sometimes I add strawberries. It's like a thick chocolate mousse and so good! I pre log my day just so I can have that at night!
  • trusty48
    trusty48 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites for a late night snack are the reduced fat Townhouse crackers. They are exactly 10 calories each which makes them easy to figure in to my totals. The downside is that they are a processed carb- but everything in moderation.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Orville redenbachers popcorn chips, sweet and salty :)
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Celery... I actually like celery...
    Homemade vegetable crisps
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I am in love with skinny cow chocolate truffle bars (100 calories) right now...but every store seems to be out of them :(
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    sjgold123 wrote: »
    And food swaps (OK nothing amazing) but wholewheat pasta...half the calories and I never knew!?!

I've never seen a whole wheat pasta that was half the calories as regular. If that exists I'd love to know what brand it is. That being said this has become my new favorite pasta as it's 150 calories a serving instead of 200 calories. So far they make the thin spaghetti and a penne.

https://ronzoni.com/en-us/products/3394/ThinSpaghetti.aspx

ETA: Oh, and not only is one serving 150 calories, but it has 13g of fiber.
  • sjgold123
    Options
    Cucina spaghetti 366 cal per 100g

Asda good and balanced wholewheat spaghetti 148 call per 100g
  • sjgold123
    Options
    Cucina 388 call per 100g
    Asda wholewheat 148 per 100g
    I would take a pic or post a link but unsure how. It's easy to find on fitness app food search.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I've never found a whole wheat pasta that's lower than normal calories...
  • Alatariel75
    edited June 2016
    Options
    sjgold123 wrote: »
    Cucina 388 call per 100g
    Asda wholewheat 148 per 100g
    I would take a pic or post a link but unsure how. It's easy to find on fitness app food search.

Is one cooked and the other raw?
  • sjgold123
    Options
    A lucky find then :-)
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Nope. Asda is 148 per 100 cooked. The cucina is raw weight, which would equal 200 cooked. Sorry.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Meringues. Good calorie count.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    Celery... I actually like celery...
    Homemade vegetable crisps
    Whoa
    **pokes at you with a stick**
  • sjgold123
    Options
    I'm stumped and sad lol!!! I was sure I was reading it right damn it and thanks. Cucina I think has less info on packaging and it isn't clear. It just says 100g serving... more courgette for me in future!?
  • sjgold123
    Options
    To be fair it must only mean that I thought pasta was higher than it is....the silver lining
  • papple227
    papple227 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I swapped out brownies for black bean brownies. I was surprised how good they are, and I think they are more filling so I don't keep going back to the pan after my serving.
  • ejb499
    ejb499 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower is amazing! I have been making pizza crust out of it! Done the rice too, very versatile!

Those pea crisps that are kinda like chips are good too. 22 crisps for 110 calories, not bad. Just make sure you portion them out first or you will eat the whole bag!

Amylu sugarhouse maple chicken sausages (I get them at costco) are a really yummy breakfast sausage and you can have 3 links for just 110 calories