Do you eat calories that are added back from exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Don't eat back exercise calories. That's a myth fostered her on mfp only. It's a sure way to NEVER lose any weight.

Personally I burn at least 1000 calories on most of my sessions. On Saturday I burned 4000.

Given that my daily goal is in the order of 1800-2000 before exercise are you seriously suggesting that I shouldn't eat back what I expend?

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,173 Member
    Options
    Don't eat back exercise calories. That's a myth fostered her on mfp only. It's a sure way to NEVER lose any weight.

And yet I somehow managed to lose 25 kg. Hm. Must have been a miracle. :grin:
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    5. Consider 1200. It's a default minimum. It's not a guarantee of your weekly goal. It's just as low as MFP will go. Perhaps a 1,000 daily calorie deficit is actually less than 1200. MFP bottoms out here to make sure you meet nutritional minimums.

It's all estimates.

1200 is 1200 because that's what is shown to be the least amount of fuel an adult human can survive on over time. 1200 isn't enough to survive on for many too - a 6'3" 20 year old would be malnourished on 1200 KCal.

I would never go under 1200 for an extended period of time. But, it also is tied to estimating - I. E. Everyone overestimates burns while underestimating consumption.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Strong (and incorrect) statement. If you have your activity set at sedentary your target net calories already has a deficit built in. Exercise caution when eating back exercise calories as may HRMs & machines overestimate the expenditure.
    How I have lost weight - limiting my calories only. Without a food scale. You do not need a food scale. Everyone who tells you that is lying through their teeth. Just measure properly and be honest with yourself.

^ from seekingdaintiness's profile........I guess the world is full of liars, so how does one "measure properly" without a scale? Solely on volume?

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Strong (and incorrect) statement. If you have your activity set at sedentary your target net calories already has a deficit built in. Exercise caution when eating back exercise calories as may HRMs & machines overestimate the expenditure.
    How I have lost weight - limiting my calories only. Without a food scale. You do not need a food scale. Everyone who tells you that is lying through their teeth. Just measure properly and be honest with yourself.

^ from seekingdaintiness's profile........I guess the world is full of liars, so how does one "measure properly" without a scale? Solely on volume?

I agree a scale is best for accuracy. But I do see how some people can lose weight without one. My decades experience of dieting is proof.

If your deficit is large enough and you are off on your measurements.....you still manage to lose weight. But as we get closer to goal a large deficit isn't healthy. My last "major" diet without using a scale.....I sat at the same weight for 5 weeks. Normal plateau - I thought. Nope, I WAS OVER EATING. I'm a very experienced cook and thought measuring cups should be good enough, but sadly they're not. 5 weeks of frustration........